Lower End Macro Lens for 1000D/500D?

Started Nov 3, 2010 | Discussions
HarryMills Forum Member • Posts: 75
Lower End Macro Lens for 1000D/500D?

Hi all,

Have a 1000D and getting a 500D soon.

Can anyone suggest a macro lens suitable for these cameras? I don't want a top of the range super expensive lens. Of course i don't want absolute crap either.

I've read that there are some lenses that are quite good for macro and portraits. Do these lenses have a macro 'switch' on them or something? If someone could explain, that would be great.

Cheers!

cjed Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Re: Lower End Macro Lens for 1000D/500D?

HarryMills wrote:

Can anyone suggest a macro lens suitable for these cameras? I don't want a top of the range super expensive lens. Of course i don't want absolute crap either.

Almost any current Macro lens sold by Canon, Sigma or Tamron would be suitable. Which one would depend upon what subjects you intend to take macros of, what lenses you already own and what budget you have to buy the lens.

I've read that there are some lenses that are quite good for macro and portraits. Do these lenses have a macro 'switch' on them or something? If someone could explain, that would be great.

As you have an APS-C sensor camera, that would be any of the macro lenses in the 50mm to 70mm focal length range, almost all of these have a maximum aperture of f2.8, except for the Tamron 60mm f2.0. The wider aperture of the Tamron makes it slightly more suitable for portraiture as you will get reduced depth of field (useful for isolating the subject from the background).

These macro lenses do not have a macro switch, they just focus much closer than a "normal" lens. Almost all of them will focus down to fill the frame with a subject just 22mm x 15mm.

So, what lenses do you already have, what subjects do you want to take macros of, and how much do you have to spend ?

OP HarryMills Forum Member • Posts: 75

So, what lenses do you already have, what subjects do you want to take macros of, and how much do you have to spend ?

With the 1000D i got the twin lens kit. 18-55 i think? And 75-300. Both non IS.

When i get the 500D it will also be a twin lens kit. 18-55 (i think) IS and 70-300IS.

Would like to be able to do macros of things like ladybugs etc. Even close ups of different materials to get some interesting textures for posters etc.

And if it could be of good use for portraits too, that's a bonus.

Probably only want a few hundred dollars as my kits lenses will be the main use of my camera. Just like having the macro option.

Will check your gallery at home... blocked at work!?

Cheers

tonyjr
tonyjr Veteran Member • Posts: 5,281

depending on where you live - you might want to know about 24 mm = 1 inch
--
1st - it's a hobby

XTI - gripped , Canon - efs 10-22 , efs 17-55 , efs 18-55 IS , 28-90 , 28 @ 2.8 , 50 @1.8 , 28-135 IS , 35-350L ,Quantaray lens 70-300 macro , life size converter , KSM filters for all , kenko auto tubes

tonyjr's gear list:tonyjr's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +14 more
Gautam Majumdar Forum Pro • Posts: 13,264

Canon 60mm, Sigma 70mm and Tamron 90mm are all very similarly priced. They are all very good macro lenses, and all have a maximum aperture of 2.8. Tamron 60mm F2 is slightly more costly. They all have a minimum working distance of around 10 cm.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

inkblot
inkblot Regular Member • Posts: 196

You might also want to consider the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro. Wide open it is a bit soft at the corners compared to other macro lenses but for the price, it's a real bargain. You will almost always use smaller apertures for macro shots anyway to gain more DOF.

I think the 50mm is a good focal length for portraits on a crop camera.

Liking the info i've found on the canon 60mm. Found a fantastic price online too (better than ebay too).

Cheers

HarryMills wrote:

When i get the 500D it will also be a twin lens kit. 18-55 (i think) IS and 70-300IS.

Would like to be able to do macros of things like ladybugs etc. Even close ups of different materials to get some interesting textures for posters etc.

You can get pretty close with just the 18-55mm IS kit lens. It's a matter of technique. But if you want to shoot insects the size of ladybirds then you will do better with a proper macro lens. Here are some samples showing what the 18-55mm IS lens can do on it's own:
http://www.pbase.com/cjed/1855is

And if it could be of good use for portraits too, that's a bonus.

In that case I'd suggest either the Tamron 60mm F2 Macro, or the Canon 60mm f2.8 Macro. Personally I'd prefer the Tamron - in fact I have one :-). The wider aperture gives better flexibility. I have a gallery of samples here :
http://www.pbase.com/cjed/tamron60f2

Probably only want a few hundred dollars as my kits lenses will be the main use of my camera. Just like having the macro option.

The Canon 60mm f2.8 seems to be over $100 cheaper than the Tamron 60mm f2. If cost is an issue, go for the Canon.

Will check your gallery at home... blocked at work!?

Not sure why that should be - PBase is a well known photo hosting site.

hesbehindyou Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

HarryMills wrote:

If you live in the UK you won't get better bang for your buck than this:
http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/76403/show.html

Unfortunately he's in Australia, and although that offer is still up on the Jessops UK site, there are very few stores with any stock left (and it's a collect at store offer only).

It's a shame as it's an excellent lens.

-- hide signature --

Check out my galleries (lots of macros) at :
http://www.pbase.com/cjed

lsl103 Forum Member • Posts: 93
The efs 60/2.8 is very good

Yes go for it you wont regret it, nice portret lens too BUT if you go after insects and bees you will need a greater working space. Have fun!

BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 23,709
Screw-in filter style closeup lenses

Canon makes a one-in-a-pack screwin filkter style closeup lens that is very, very good.

There's two versions; one for normal lenses and one for telephoto lenses.

Other companies make three-item kits with different "power" screw in filter style close up lenses that yu can use one at a time or mixed and matched.

These let you get closer usingyour current lens, and for anything on a computer screen and for lots of prints, these work just fine.

The non-Canon kits are often well under $100.

BAK

slartz
slartz Senior Member • Posts: 2,098

luckily for me - I got it through this sale when I was visiting London last month

slartz's gear list:slartz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more
slartz

Personally I think you best bet is the Tamron 60/2.

The Canon 60/2.8 is a great lens also (and somewhat cheaper), but the Tamron is slightly sharper, has better bokeh, and is a full stop faster. I bought mine mostly for portraits (Macro for me was a side benefit), and it's just a FANTASTIC portrait lens (and Macro of course).

Also - it has the longest working distance of all 60mm Lenses (not by a huge margin of course, but still...)

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Panasonic 8-18mm F2.8-4 +9 more

What is its MWD ? MFD is given as 23 cm.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

slartz

10cm.
the canon 60 is 9 and the Sigma is 7 if I remember correctly.

not huge diffs of course...

Managed to find the Canon 60mm lens for around $320 AU including postage opn a US site. Quite a bit cheaper than what i'm seeing on Ebay. Glad the Aussie dollar is dsoing so well at the moment!

Reckon i might go with the Canon. Unless someone has a particular reason i should really look at something else?

It is a good bargain. Go for it. Canon 60mm is a fine lens both for macro and portrait. It may not be ideal for skittish insects but with a little practice you should be able to capture majority of the insects, specially your favoured ladybirds.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

Thanks. For Sigma 70mm i thought that MWD is 11 cm. Can any Sigma 70 user put the records correct please.

-- hide signature --

Gautam

ecka84
ecka84 Contributing Member • Posts: 590

MWD :
Tamron 60/2 - 100mm
Canon 60/2.8 - 90mm
Sigma 70/2.8 - 65mm

ecka84's gear list:ecka84's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads