Zuiko-M 40-150mm f4-5.6 Very Nice!

Started Nov 3, 2010 | Discussions
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,770
Zuiko-M 40-150mm f4-5.6 Very Nice!

Had to try this lens on my E-PL1. I already have the DSLR version, which is a very nice lens, but mine exhibits some blurriness towards the long end due to what I figure is a very minor decentering problem that does not start really being a problem until the higher magnifications at the long end, which was enough to turn me off using it much.

Took delivery of the micro version today. Very nice. Turns out the accessory hood is the same one used on the 4/3rd's model, so I already have one!

I have not bothered doing any comparison images because those are already available to see here..

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=36801766

The 4/3rd's lens is shorter without the 4/3rd's to micro adapter. The micro version is noticeably slimmer than the 4/3rd's version and about the same length as the 4/3rd's model with the 4/3rd's to micro adapter fitted.

The zoom ring on the micro model is just a little overly tightened, but also very smooth in motion with no binding. There's absolutely no chance of ever having a problem with the dreaded zoom creep. You set it somewhere and it's going to stay there. The 4/3rd's model has a looser zoom ring but also feels dryer/cheaper in its' motion.

Autofocus is very fast and sure on my E-PL1 and noise is non-existent. First blush finds little to fault with this lens and a few test images I shot around the office look quite excellent at all focal lengths.

The weather here today is overcast and rainy, so no outdoor images yet, but I did do a few shots of a floral arrangement at the office using my FL50R and bounce attachment and, at home, with the one subject who never gives me any issues when I want to take his picture..

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +12 more
Mal_In_Oz Regular Member • Posts: 425
Re: Zuiko-M 40-150mm f4-5.6 Very Nice!

These are nice images that really show how sharp this lens is. My examples were uninspiring so thanks for posting them up.

I wonder how this lens would go with an extension tube for macro work.

Mal_In_Oz's gear list:Mal_In_Oz's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
OP Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,770

Mal_In_Oz wrote:

These are nice images that really show how sharp this lens is. My examples were uninspiring so thanks for posting them up.

Thanks. The floral closeups were shot near the closest focus distance and wide open at 150mm and f5.6. Stopping down a little more would have been even more convincing, but what's within the depth of focus at f5.6 is very sharp. There's nothing I can see that would keep me from using this lens at any focal length and aperture.

The DSLR version of this lens works extremely well with the Olympus EX25 tube. This micro version will not mount on the EX25 as I've already looked. If you don't go longer than 25mm with a tube the lens will work very well from around 50-75mm up to the 150mm long end. Hopefully Olympus will follow-up with some optical accessories, like a micro equivalent of the EX25. I'd buy it yesterday if they did.

Leica M (Typ 262) Leica CL Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmar-M 24mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH +12 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 35,230
Have a look at Raynox

Mal_In_Oz wrote:

A more useful universal macro gadget is the Raynox DCR-250 or 150. That way it suits many lenses from other cameras. The 250 is a good quality three element +8 dioptre add-on lens that makes a spectacular macro lens out of the regular 4/3 40-150mm at least. Details at http://raynox.co.jp/english/dcr/dcr250/indexdcr250eg.htm

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Re: Have a look at Raynox

I have the Raymox 150. Used it with an FZ50, and prefer a tube using these type cameras. You have to be able to get physically very close in order to use the Raynox lenses. With a tube, you can shoot at further distances and get at some subjects that you cannot get physically close enough to in order to use a Raynox lens.

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 37,234
Re: Have a look at Raynox

These look very good indeed, i have this lens on order should be with me soon. Sharpness is there they all look ok to me, i would love to be able to afford the 75-300 as im a Birder sadly a tad to expensive, might have to consider the none micro version.

thanks for posting these, i look forward to testing mine regards Alan.

ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Kuivaamo Senior Member • Posts: 2,248

I like it how even your cat doesn't seem to believe your lens is so sharp!

Thanks for posting, I like my 4/3 version of this lens (via the adapter) and the M version seems like a good one too.

Kuivaamo wrote:

I like it how even your cat doesn't seem to believe your lens is so sharp!

Yes!

I have to admit I took advantage of him in shooting these. I had just arrived home from work and asked him if he wanted his dinner to get that expression. Once the question is asked, he does not shut up until he gets his dinner.

jimboyvr Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

is this lens as sharp as the panasonic 45-200?

jimboyvr wrote:

I've seen one or two who have both, but I can't remember if there was a concensus or not.

With the built-in OIS, I would image the 45-200 is the lens you want if videos is a huge part of what you do. I'm not a video shooter so the 40-150 is perfect other than, an extra 50mm of coverage is NEVER a bad thing! I've seen comments the Panasonic lens is very sharp to 150mm and less so the rest of the way, but I have also seen images posted here that were shot at 200mm that looked plenty good enough to me. I don't think either lens would be a bad decision.

I have been very impressed with the 40-150 micro model. Since posted this message I have used it quite a bit and really appreciate the weight/build quality/ image quality/cost combination. It is very, very light, so I find myself making sure to maximize the shutter speeds to aid the E-PL1's IBIS system to keep my longer focal length shots nice and sharp.

fbx Senior Member • Posts: 2,601

Excellent pix. Wondering what are the advantages disadvantages of the m4/3 relative to the 4/3 with adapter? Weight is close, I gather. 4/3 has good rep. Focusing significantly faster on the m4/3? Price about 1/3 cheaper for 4/3 and adapter ($199 at Amazon and B&H)?

Other advantages of the m4/3?

Other advantages of the 4/3+adapter?

Many thanks for any help. Also, wonderful cat.

fbx's gear list:fbx's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
beomagi Senior Member • Posts: 1,372

Curious on these questions too! Especially the focusing speed.

fbx wrote:

Excellent pix. Wondering what are the advantages disadvantages of the m4/3 relative to the 4/3 with adapter? Weight is close, I gather. 4/3 has good rep. Focusing significantly faster on the m4/3? Price about 1/3 cheaper for 4/3 and adapter ($199 at Amazon and B&H)?

beomagi's gear list:beomagi's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +5 more

fbx wrote:

You can see from the images of the pair posted in the link from my original message the two are similar in size with the adapter mounted on the 4/3rd's model. The micro version is slimmer. Size and weight-wise, it's a wash. The "feel" of the micro model is a bit nicer, but both are put together very well.

AF is much faster and very quiet. If you like doing videos a lot, the micro model is the one you want. If shooting stills is your thing like me, both models work great for static subjects. I have taken the new micro model to a couple of NHL games and had a lot of fun. The fast AF worked great shooting fast moving action. Active/moving subjects is one area where the micro model's faster AF is the better choice.

The first obvious advantage right now is price at $199 for the lens+ adapter when bought together. You also can use the 4/3rd's lens+adapter with the Olympus EX25 tube for super closeup focusing. The EX25 tube is not compatible with micro lenses.

Thank you.

jimboyvr Senior Member • Posts: 1,411

Do you still leave on the OIS of panny lens when using it on an oly body with ibis?

do they "help" each other or cancel each other out?

Gregm61 wrote:

jimboyvr wrote:

I've seen one or two who have both, but I can't remember if there was a concensus or not.

With the built-in OIS, I would image the 45-200 is the lens you want if videos is a huge part of what you do. I'm not a video shooter so the 40-150 is perfect other than, an extra 50mm of coverage is NEVER a bad thing! I've seen comments the Panasonic lens is very sharp to 150mm and less so the rest of the way, but I have also seen images posted here that were shot at 200mm that looked plenty good enough to me. I don't think either lens would be a bad decision.

I have been very impressed with the 40-150 micro model. Since posted this message I have used it quite a bit and really appreciate the weight/build quality/ image quality/cost combination. It is very, very light, so I find myself making sure to maximize the shutter speeds to aid the E-PL1's IBIS system to keep my longer focal length shots nice and sharp.

jimboyvr wrote:

Do you still leave on the OIS of panny lens when using it on an oly body with ibis?

do they "help" each other or cancel each other out?

I've seen users of the 45-200 Panny say it doesn't matter if both are on and they have used it that way. As an Olympus DSLR owner too, I have always read on the DSLR forum the two cancelled each other out and you needed to use one or the other, but not both together when using a Panasonic lens like the 14-50 f2.8-3.5 OIS on an Olympus DSLR.

If I owned the Panny 45-200, I'd just turn off the IBIS in my E-PL1 and use the mega OIS in the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads