Lexar Image Rescue 4

Started Oct 29, 2010 | Discussions
Ray Thompson Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Lexar Image Rescue 4

Image Rescue 4 is available from Lexar. Supposedly it is for those that have purchased a Lexar card. The software does require activation to work.

Go to http://www.lexar.com/imagerescue4 and click the continue link. You will then be presented with a page that asks about your purchase and your email address. Once you complete that screen you will be sent to a location where you can download a windows or a mac version. Your serial number will be sent to your email address.

But, here is the stupid part. Nowhere in this entire process are you required to prove your purchase. There is no validation that you have purchased a qualifying Lexar card.

So if you want Image Rescue 4 here is the way to get the software. Nothing illegal, nothing hacked.

Why even bother with an activation key? Ah, the insanity of some marketing guru still wet behind the ears from college.

-- hide signature --

RayT

Claus A Veteran Member • Posts: 6,527
Re: Lexar Image Rescue 4

Ray,

well, you have to lie twice - where you purchased and which Lexar you purchased:-)

But lying is not illegal...

And not necessarily immoral in this case - I guess one's e-mail address is worth the effort for Lexar, and if one likes the software one might tend to buy a Lexar the next time.

Cheers,

Claus.

-- hide signature --

... when the photograph annihilates itself as medium to be no longer a sign but the thing itself...

OP Ray Thompson Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

Actually, I had to lie about the card that I purchased (two of them) because the model I purchased was not on the list of cards.

It appears to me that Lexar is not really to concerned about the issue.
--
RayT

Timskis6 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,562

I had that software a while back. I can't remember, can you successfully recover all images if you don't activate the software? Many types of software will show you what can potentially be recovered, but when you try and save the images, it will then require an activation key.

-- hide signature --

Tim
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/7-14/12-60/35-100/150/25/EC14/EC20
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

OP Ray Thompson Senior Member • Posts: 1,221

Timskis6 wrote:

I had that software a while back. I can't remember, can you successfully recover all images if you don't activate the software? Many types of software will show you what can potentially be recovered, but when you try and save the images, it will then require an activation key.

I don't think so. The software asked for the activation key when it was first started.

-- hide signature --

RayT

beardeddragon New Member • Posts: 5

Did they email you a activation key? I did not get one?

mickcivic Contributing Member • Posts: 576

beardeddragon wrote:

Did they email you a activation key? I did not get one?

I'm so late to this party, but here's my reply anyway.

There's a little pamphlet that comes with the card that has an activation key.

As to the OP's point, the serial/activation key/whatever is required upon installation, not upon download.

I know this because I just used ImageRescue 4 to save a job last night. That little pamphlet has been sitting on my desk for over a year, and I'm glad I didn't throw it away.

I agree in that Lexar doesn't seem hellbent on protecting the software from piracy, but I don't think its their core business so I'm sure they're not too concerned with hunting down vicious pirates.

EDIT: the serial doesn't doesn't do a check against an activation server, so you can install your copy of Image Rescue 4 on multiple machines.

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
mickcivic Contributing Member • Posts: 576

You actually need to input the serial at time of installation, so you can't even launch it without a serial.

However, it is not checked against an activation server--it's just an old-school serial number.

Timskis6 wrote:

mickcivic's gear list:mickcivic's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X100S Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads