FZ100 vs SX30

Started Oct 28, 2010 | Discussions
LTZ470
LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
FZ100 vs SX30

SOOC...no PP...
FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

FZ100

SX30

rinkos Senior Member • Posts: 2,227
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

what inner settings did u use on the pana if any ?

LTZ470
OP LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Standard and Dynamic Mode
Contrast +1
Sharp +2
Sat 0
NR -2

jotor
jotor Senior Member • Posts: 1,719
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

And the FZ100 wins by a nose.

:^)
--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jotor/sets/72157603857531887/show/

'Learn everything, forget everything and play'
Jimi Hendrix

cosmicsailor Regular Member • Posts: 487
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Good job for the FZ100 here. Do you feel that is because of your experience with it or do you feel it is doing a better job than the sx30? Looks like the sx30 missed focus a few times.

Gene
--
Gallery - http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmicsailors/
FZ7, FZ18

cashewNut Contributing Member • Posts: 517
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

I like the color of the FZ100. It is more vibrant. The SX30 is faded.

LTZ470
OP LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

I shot several shots of each photo and chose the "best" out of the shots for both cameras the FZ100 just did a better job...I am still thinking why the Canon will give more details at 100% crop on some photos, but still look soft overall?...

The FZ100 is a killer camera in the right hands...

ekimzulad Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Nice shots, and thanks for comparing. I bought the following 4 cams FZ35, FZ40, FZ100, SX30, and decided to keep the FZ100.

Even though I felt the image quality was the worst of the bunch, it was good enough (once you tweak the settings, -2 noise) and I just couldn't pass on the 11 fps & 1080i video. Pretty much came down to those 2 factors. But man the SX30 made it a very tough decision with that 840mm zoom and better IS.

Just a word of caution though for everyone looking at these pics and trying to decide which one to buy. The reason why the FZ100 comes out looking as good, if not better than the SX30 (at least at this pixel size), is because the default camera settings where changed (-2 noise, +2 sharpness). If you don't plan to do any photo editing on your PC, then perhaps you'll be happier with the FZ100 after tweaking the in cam settings. But if you don't mind spending 30 seconds in Photoshop to add sharpness (and perhaps boost contrast & saturation) and to the SX30 shots, then the SX30 will come out looking better.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

 ekimzulad's gear list:ekimzulad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J4 +2 more
MR Click_Click Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Thanks for the test.
I got my FZ100 2 weeks ago and I could not be happier!

I prefer the vivid colours of the FZ100, and I also changed the setting to"
Contrast +1
Sharp +2
Satur +2
NR -2

Again, thanks for the test.

Vandyu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,897
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Thanks for posting. You have presented a strong case for the FZ100 as it was consistently sharper. It looked like most of these were clearer and more colorful with no blurring or smearing that I could see. In the first one, even the water was sharper with the Panasonic. Now, still wishing Panny would market these cameras better so that I pick one up and see how it feels. The omnipresent Canon SX30 just didn't feel right.
--
If Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life, How Will You Spend It?

 Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +9 more
JanHenning New Member • Posts: 21
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Thanks for the tests. Were they done after you installed Firmware V1.1 update or not? If so do you think the FW update is an improvement?

 JanHenning's gear list:JanHenning's gear list
Nikon D500
LTZ470
OP LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Yes, after firmware update...but I don't think the firmware had anything to do with the IQ as it was only for the banding that was showing up in photos intermittently...

doctorxring Senior Member • Posts: 1,342
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

.

+1

This is a "jaded" test. I own an SX30 and yeah, it will take pics
like the ones shown here if you set the camera up to do perform
that way. It will also take ones with better saturation, sharpness,
and contrast if you set it up that way as well. Bad !

dxr

Just a word of caution though for everyone looking at these pics and trying to decide which one to buy. The reason why the FZ100 comes out looking as good, if not better than the SX30 (at least at this pixel size), is because the default camera settings where changed (-2 noise, +2 sharpness). If you don't plan to do any photo editing on your PC, then perhaps you'll be happier with the FZ100 after tweaking the in cam settings. But if you don't mind spending 30 seconds in Photoshop to add sharpness (and perhaps boost contrast & saturation) and to the SX30 shots, then the SX30 will come out looking better.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

 doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony RX10 III Sony a7 Sony a77 II +1 more
LTZ470
OP LTZ470 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,926
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Would you mind sharing your settings as I am going to send the SX30 packing tomorrow as the IQ doesn't impress me at all...is there a way to reduce NR? I could only find Contrast, Sharpness, Saturation...it's not the settings it looks like the metering is more the problem...I tried all three with similar results or drastic lighting swings...I am all ears...and like I stated before I didn't just take one shot with each camera BUT several and chose the best of the lots to post...

doctorxring wrote:
.

+1

This is a "jaded" test. I own an SX30 and yeah, it will take pics
like the ones shown here if you set the camera up to do perform
that way. It will also take ones with better saturation, sharpness,
and contrast if you set it up that way as well. Bad !

dxr

Just a word of caution though for everyone looking at these pics and trying to decide which one to buy. The reason why the FZ100 comes out looking as good, if not better than the SX30 (at least at this pixel size), is because the default camera settings where changed (-2 noise, +2 sharpness). If you don't plan to do any photo editing on your PC, then perhaps you'll be happier with the FZ100 after tweaking the in cam settings. But if you don't mind spending 30 seconds in Photoshop to add sharpness (and perhaps boost contrast & saturation) and to the SX30 shots, then the SX30 will come out looking better.

Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either model.

JanHenning New Member • Posts: 21
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Thank you, guess I will do the FW Update this weekend.

 JanHenning's gear list:JanHenning's gear list
Nikon D500
emperor_black Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Thanks for the pics. However, can you please post some Indoor shots? Its no question the FX100 comes up with great shots outdoors even in very cloudy conditions, but its the indoors that suffer. thanks

Sam

DannyGord Regular Member • Posts: 260
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

Also it is no question that it doesn't make a good job in low light indoor shots.

So. What's the point? What's your point?

I think after all of the posts and after all this time everyone here knows the good points and the bad points of the FZ100.

Again. What is your point?

emperor_black wrote:

Thanks for the pics. However, can you please post some Indoor shots? Its no question the FX100 comes up with great shots outdoors even in very cloudy conditions, but its the indoors that suffer. thanks

Sam

emperor_black Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

I just want to see some comparison pics of FZ100 vs SX30IS taken at indoor settings. I will be taking mostly indoor pics of people and my kid. the FZ100 produces noise at all settings and I have not been able to remove the noise at any settings. Again, I am not dissing the camera. Just pointing out my inability to get good snaps. I've been a canon user all my life and thought I'd feel comfortable using the SX30.

DannyGord wrote:

Also it is no question that it doesn't make a good job in low light indoor shots.

So. What's the point? What's your point?

I think after all of the posts and after all this time everyone here knows the good points and the bad points of the FZ100.

Again. What is your point?

emperor_black wrote:

Thanks for the pics. However, can you please post some Indoor shots? Its no question the FX100 comes up with great shots outdoors even in very cloudy conditions, but its the indoors that suffer. thanks

Sam

VncvrIslandGirl Regular Member • Posts: 350
Re: FZ100 vs SX30

There are already lots of comparison shots of the FZ100 vs. other cameras and in many different scenarios. LTZ470 has posted most of them (& done a fantastic job of it) so if you search for his posts, you should be able to find them.

DannyGord Regular Member • Posts: 260
We already know the good and bad points

So you already have the answer.
The FZ100 is not for you.
Could not be simpler than that.
I don't get it. Really.

Looks like you have tested it. It seems you could not produce pics without noise. You could not remove noise with any settings either.
So... Not for you.

I'm not saying that you are dissing the camera.
I'm helping you out.

Or do you think because we just have Christmas time someone will upload a picture taken with an FZ100 with ISO 400 or 800, lighted by a lamp in a room at night, hand held, and the pic will be crisp and clear and noiseless?
Maybe Santa can do it.

What I'm saying is: we already know by far the facts :

  • It is a fun and light to carry camera

  • Wide and Tele without changing and carrying heavy and expensive lenses (with IQ of a p&s of course!!!)

  • It has great video recording in Full HD

  • It has great burst mode

  • It has great and powerful zoom

  • It has a 3.0" free angle LCD

  • It has great manual and automatic modes

  • It has a convenient hot shoe

  • It has an input for remote shutter and external mic

  • It has HDMI output

  • It has a Leica lens

  • It has accessories made for it (converter lens, flash, remote...)

  • It has a very good Optical Image Stabilizer

  • It has high speed movie mode

  • It has dedicated video Rec button and zoom when shooting Full HD

  • It shoots in RAW

  • etc.

And of course, as we already know :

  • The IQ is not so good because of the small sensor and 14 MP

  • Noise above ISO 200. Some may say it even produce noise with ISO 100 in any light situation

  • Poor indoor picture quality

  • It is not (and it is not supposed to be) a pro nor even a semi-pro cam. Far from it.

It's just another P&S. A good one. Not a bad one at all. But a P&S.

With its idiosyncrasies as every P&S on the market and with every cam, pro or not.

So. What else do we need to know and discuss about it?

Or you like it or not. Or it will fit your needs or not.
Or you buy it or not.

Again. We already know weeks ago the good and the bad about the FZ100. And we have seen plenty of sample pics here and on other review sites. All the usual suspects.

I liked it. For many reasons (don't need to present right now). And I bought it because I wanted to.
Most important. Bought it knowing the good and the bad points.

And made my mind with the facts we already know. Facts we already have knowledge of .

But I understand if someone does not like it and does not want to buy it.
Simple.
We already know the facts.

emperor_black wrote:

I just want to see some comparison pics of FZ100 vs SX30IS taken at indoor settings. I will be taking mostly indoor pics of people and my kid. the FZ100 produces noise at all settings and I have not been able to remove the noise at any settings. Again, I am not dissing the camera. Just pointing out my inability to get good snaps. I've been a canon user all my life and thought I'd feel comfortable using the SX30.

DannyGord wrote:

Also it is no question that it doesn't make a good job in low light indoor shots.

So. What's the point? What's your point?

I think after all of the posts and after all this time everyone here knows the good points and the bad points of the FZ100.

Again. What is your point?

emperor_black wrote:

Thanks for the pics. However, can you please post some Indoor shots? Its no question the FX100 comes up with great shots outdoors even in very cloudy conditions, but its the indoors that suffer. thanks

Sam

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads