Garage sale Photos worth millions

Started Oct 27, 2010 | Discussions
Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,910
Garage sale Photos worth millions
annaf Regular Member • Posts: 297
Re: Garage sale Photos worth millions

It is very interesting. Thank you for posting....
--
AMFND

annaf's gear list:annaf's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR +1 more
henryp
henryp Veteran Member • Posts: 7,219
Re: Garage sale photos worth millions

This was interesting during July, but since then interest has waned as claims and counter claims are traded about whether or not there's really any chance these were Ansel's at all.

-- hide signature --

Henry Posner
B&H Photo-Video

henryp's gear list:henryp's gear list
Nikon D5000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +1 more
rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
Even if Ansel, not Ansel

Even if the negatives are Ansel's work, they aren't that valuable, I know I'm one of the few, if only on the planet to think this, my reason is simple. Ansel often bragged about how much time he would put in the darkroom to bring a negative to live in a print. Ansel was really one of the original photoshop freaks of his day.

His prints were more about the darkroom than about the negative; he'd burn this, dodge that, etc. Ansel was about creating a "feeling" about his images, the drama of the sky [which on print may have not been dramatic], the tones of the mountain as it recedes into the valley, etc.

Owning an Ansel negative is kind of like discovering all the paint tubes Picasso used.

-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264
Agreed

Right on!

Jon Rty Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838
Re: Even if Ansel, not Ansel

Well, that's oversimplifying it a bit. As I've understood it Adams went to great lengths to ensure the best possible result he could get. This of course included much work in the darkroom, but also incredible care and technique when exposing and processing his film. Developing individual sheets based on notes he made while taking then, the zone system and what not. He is one of the best known early craftmasters, but that didn't include only the darkroom.

And then there's the fact that he had a great eye as well.

rsn48 wrote:

Even if the negatives are Ansel's work, they aren't that valuable, I know I'm one of the few, if only on the planet to think this, my reason is simple. Ansel often bragged about how much time he would put in the darkroom to bring a negative to live in a print. Ansel was really one of the original photoshop freaks of his day.

His prints were more about the darkroom than about the negative; he'd burn this, dodge that, etc. Ansel was about creating a "feeling" about his images, the drama of the sky [which on print may have not been dramatic], the tones of the mountain as it recedes into the valley, etc.

Owning an Ansel negative is kind of like discovering all the paint tubes Picasso used.

rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
Not arguing Ansel was a bad photog

Ansel was no doubt an excellent photographer and I'm sure great care and creativity went into the negative, but the negative was the starting point, not the end point.

So lets say I have in my trunk a rare Ansel negative a famous mountain in California and I get it developed by professional developers here in Vancouver BC, I still won't have an Ansel print. The pro's I'd employ wouldn't know Ansel's intent for that negative, to evolve the image into one of his prints.

-- hide signature --

An excellent lens lasts a lifetime, an excellent DSLR, not so long.

Ed B
OP Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,910
Re: Garage sale photos worth millions

henryp,

This was just posted on Yahoo today but you're right it was originally written in July.

Guess I need to look for dates on things like this.

jb_va2001 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,741
concluded not Ansel Adams photos

Interesting but kind of old news now. After this story broke experts concluded the pics were not shot by Ansel Adams.

Cheers,
JB

Ed B wrote:

This is interesting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20100727/od_yblog_upshot/garage-sale-trove-of-ansel-adams-photos-now-worth-millions

Robert Hoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
Re: concluded not Ansel Adams photos

jb_va2001 wrote:

Interesting but kind of old news now. After this story broke experts concluded the pics were not shot by Ansel Adams.

Correct. They were taken by "Uncle Earl", who was surprisingly taking the same type of photos that Ansel Adams was around the same time period.
--
http://roberthoy.zenfolio.com/
http://www.photographybyhoy.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads