KR Problems - Help!

Started Oct 26, 2010 | Discussions
srorke Regular Member • Posts: 214
KR Problems - Help!

The dial on my spanking new k-r isn't behaving as i would expect it to... is there some trick to it? It doesn't zoom in when i'm reviewing a photo - or let's say it zooms erratically. And in Manual mode, the shutter speed and aperture go up and then won't go down. I'll give more details... but does anyone have a clue as to what i might have mis-set?? I've only put in the kit lens.

and i got red... maybe that's the problem. I have a K-10D so i figured that the dial would have the same feel??

thanks.

OP srorke Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: KR Problems - Help!

if i spin the dial really fast then it sort of works.

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,519

Defective, seems to be an issue to pops up once in a while, its known but i wouldn't call it common, send it in for servicing
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Should the settings/photo be correct? What i mean, is if i shoot a photo at specific settings, the photo that i see is the same as the photo for someone else with a working dial? i thought the iso was going to let me shoot in a little lower light... Is it just the dial that's defective probably?

Will they give me a new one or repair it??

Thanks very much for the answer. Where do you get this information?

The dial is used for setting the settings, once the settings are as you desire it doesn't play much of a role except for navigation and magnification of a previewed image. My guess is they'll fix it and send it back. Ever since the K10D there have been twitchy control dials on a few cameras here and there, you just happened to get one.
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Thanks. I'll ship it back!

Are you sending it to the store you bought it from or to the service center, many stores just put it back on the shelf and sell it to the next person.
--
Mike from Canada

I'm not sure. The box instructs me to contact Pentax who of course is now closed - only open 7:30-4:30 (or something like that) Central time. I got it from Amazon. I sort of don't even want it now. In Live Mode, it focuses very poorly - is that another feature??

And i thought ISO 3200 would be magnitudes better, but it's not that much more. I haven't downloaded any photos yet so they may be better than i think.

by magnitudes better, i mean i thought i could close down the aperture and raise the shutter speed more...

ok... now the dial is working much better. Could there be some setting???

But - Autofocus works very poorly in Live View which doesn't really matter, other than should it work well?

And can someone help me understand the magnitude of difference between iso 100 and iso 3200?

thanks!

diegocebolla New Member • Posts: 6

Hey! I was just about to open a thread for the same issue, I got mine from Amazon too yesterday (Monday) and I have been struggling a lot with the dial, I am not able to set the aperture and shutter speed because the dial goes forward and backward even when I am just turning it to one direction... I tried to see if it had something to do with the settings but I couldn't find anything.

How you made yours start working???
--
Diego

bricko Regular Member • Posts: 296

Had same issue with K7 from Amazon...after 25 days..in manual mode both dials caused shutter speed or aperture to just dial in random numbers. Go from 1/8 second to 1/1000 or from f2.8 to f16 in one click. Only in Manual mode. Worked fine in other modes.

Called Amazon, guy said to send back, no questions. While on phone he started process to send one. Had new one in 2 days. Works fine now.

If you got it from Amazon, send it back to them for exchange , shouldn't be an issue.

coleviolin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,993

I got my K-r from Adorama about two weeks ago, and it's been excellent, no such issues here. The Live View AF is relatively slow, but it is faster than that of a T1i I tried out not long ago. For me that's enough. Live view is more of a special purpose tool than something I'd want to use regularly. I hope you can get the e-dial issue resolved quickly. Send it back.
--
Lipo

Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

AF in LiveView is poor on DSLR's, but the K-r is not as poor as previous models - compared to those the AF in LiveView is fast.

AF in LiveView is done by the imaging sensor. The standard non Live-View AF, phase detect AF, uses special AF module - this is always much faster. The imaging sensor simply can't focus as fast (no wonder, it has so many things to do besides AF... the phase detect AF module simply handles one thing - AF processing).

A key difference between contrast detect AF (liveview) and phasedetect AF is that contrast detect AF is true live focusing. It turns focus and checks it at the same time.

Phase detect AF is - camera estimates the point of focus, then turns then focus ring to that position, and when it meets this then camera check focus again to see how close it did and it does adjustments if needed. So phase detect AF actually only checks the AF before it turns the focusing ring, and when it has stopped (to re-check, then it can turn it again i small turns for minor adjustments).

This of course takes much less time to do then a system that constantly checks the focus while turning. Phase detect AF can turn focusing ring at maximum speed, but contrast detect AF can't.

On the other hand, the contrast detect AF is more accurate because it checks focus constantly...

Oh, and don't judge images by looking at the camera screen. You need to look at them in computer.

-- hide signature --
Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

Let's say you have aperture f/4 selected and a reading in the light that gives 1/30 with ISO 100.
Stay with aperture at f/4 and move up ISO... Light unchanged.
ISO 200: Shutter 1/60
ISO 400: Shutter 1/125
ISO 800: Shutter 1/250
ISO 1600: Shutter 1/500
ISO 3200: Shutter 1/1000

Let's talk about EV steps...
They are...
For aperture: f/2.8 - 4 - 5.6 - 8 - 11 - 16 - 22 - 32
For shutter: 1/30 - 1/60 - 1/125 - 1/250 - 1/500 - 1/1000
For ISO: 100 - 200 - 400 - 800 - 1600 - 3200 - 6400

The step between those figures are 1 EV step. If you have numbers in between then they are 1/2 steps or 1/3 steps not true EV step.

If you select a smaller aperture you need to set slower shutter speed.
If you set faster shutter you need to open up the aperture more.
Change of ISO does gives more options to those.

-- hide signature --

Thanks - i'll call amazon today. It's weird that the dial is working better... It's like it was loose and now is positioned more correctly. There is also a big clunk every time you move the camera, but i think someone else mentioned that and it was discounted as a problem. funny little camera!

And thanks very much to Raphael for the EV steps explanations - i saw those big iso numbers and got greedy i guess! well it will help, but may not be enough for the dark gyms. grrr.

Thanks!

Has anyone else heard of the dial getting better??? it works perfectly now... but when i first opened it, i was getting erratic numbers, or just no reaction when i turned the dial. Seems like something is awry tho. There isn't any setting for engaging/disengaging the dial is there??

Stephen OKane Forum Member • Posts: 80

There are no setting to control the dial - it just sounds faulty.

Contact Amazon, tell them the issues you have, and get a replacement.

Even if it works now, the issue could come back.

coleviolin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,993

The dial on my first dSLR, the .ist DS, would occasionally not respond, or yes if I spun it quickly would work, as what you're experiencing I think. That was reported later as being a dirty contact, but your camera is new so I'm guessing it could have been caused by a little condensation or dust? If now it's better, I wouldn't worry about it. My sister now has my DS, and it's fine after six years. Every time I pick up that camera I think "what a great camera". Hopefully this will not be an issue, but don't let the camera sit on a dusty shelf either. I keep mine in a small camera bag half the time. You do have a warranty, so you can see if it gets better or if it continues to act strange then it should be something Pentax could easily clean up for you.

For lower light shooting, or any light shooting, you can get sensor noise depending on how you or the camera processes those JPG's and the light in the scene. "Noise" is simply always there, even when shooting RAW. Whether you actually see it or not in your final image is what counts. I prefer a good balance myself. I've been doing some testing to see what works for me, and you might also try the Natural custom image mode, with either sharpness turned down a notch, or fine sharpness (turn e-dial once) turned down 3 notches. For ISO 3200 I find medium in-camera noise reduction is ok, and for 6400 you might want the high setting.

You will only get "really noisefree" pictures with noiseware in post processing to your heart's content, but it can create some artifacts which you might not like. If you can't afford Photoshop, I suggest the Gimp, which has two plugins that I know of. I do like Wavelet denoise, as it lest you quickly remove some noise from separate color channels. If you're in Windows, there's a standalone version of Noise Ninja, and I'm sure there's much more available. I'm no expert in this. I hope it helps.
Cheers,
--
Lipo

Also if you have face detection on in LV AF then it does go quite slow, turn that off.
--
Mike from Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads