Nikon D7000 and Sigma 70-200

Started Oct 25, 2010 | Discussions
VanSmak New Member • Posts: 15
Nikon D7000 and Sigma 70-200

I know it's been discussed here briefly but has anyone determined if the Sigma lenses will autofocus in live view on the D7000?

The Sigma seems to perform fine through the viewfinder but when switched to live view it tries to search for a second and then gives up.

Any input would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Rlinnell Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Nikon D7000 and Sigma 70-200

I can tell you that my Sigma 10-20 WILL NOT auto focus in live view. It does work fine however through the VF. The AF box shows up and sometimes even turns green indicating that it has locked focus but the focus motor never even tries. Interesting.

It is however pretty snappy through the VF and works great when not in Live view. Something for Sigma owners to consider. Be curious to know if the Tokinas & Tamrons have the same issue.

VanSmak OP New Member • Posts: 15

Rlinnell wrote:

It is however pretty snappy through the VF and works great when not in Live view. Something for Sigma owners to consider. Be curious to know if the Tokinas & Tamrons have the same issue.

I should have mentioned it in my first post but I also own a tamron 17-50 and tamron 28-75 (both non-bim) and both perform flawless in VF and Live view focus modes....Just seems to be the Sigma that doesn't like the Live View focus for me.

Rlinnell Regular Member • Posts: 208

I decided to re-mount the Sig 10-20 and play with it further. Interestingly enough I must have been mistaking last time I tried it in LV because the Focus motor does try and lock on.

Here is where it gets real weird - It will focus at close distance but just can't seem to lock on at further distances. At infinity forget it. I do however have the focus motor ATTEMPT to lock on but it's all but pointless for anything out further than a couple feet.

LordApophis Junior Member • Posts: 30

I own a Sigma 28-70 EX DF and have had no real issues on my D7000.
This migh have something to do with the DF and not DG.

Younes Senior Member • Posts: 1,597

Rlinnell wrote:

I decided to re-mount the Sig 10-20 and play with it further. Interestingly enough I must have been mistaking last time I tried it in LV because the Focus motor does try and lock on.

Here is where it gets real weird - It will focus at close distance but just can't seem to lock on at further distances. At infinity forget it. I do however have the focus motor ATTEMPT to lock on but it's all but pointless for anything out further than a couple feet.

Yeah, well this could happens a wide lens trying to lock focus at a distance. It might be an issue of BF of your lens ( does it do the same throught the VF or only in LV?
--
Younes ( Paris, FR)
K100D,K10D,D40 + lenses

The Big One Veteran Member • Posts: 4,562

Rlinnell wrote:

This is the same with my sigma 10-20. Its more annoying than if it didn't try, b/c it basically guarantees that it will throw the thing out of focus unless you are shooting at a couple inches.

I emailed Sigma, hopefully there will be an update to fix it. May be a good idea to email them as well, the more people who complain, the more likely something will happen.

Cheers
--
--Wyatt
http://photos.digitalcave.ca
All images (c) unless otherwise specified, please ask me before editing.

The Big One's gear list:The Big One's gear list
Nikon D60 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
VanSmak OP New Member • Posts: 15

I've had ZERO issues with the Sigma 70-200 through the VF, it focuses quickly and accurately. However when I go to LV, complete opposite, it will hunt for half a second and then just quit.

Tommy Martin
Tommy Martin Senior Member • Posts: 1,477

Mine does exactly the same thing.

Its a bit disappointing but not the end of the world. I only use the live view for video and would most likely be manual focusing anyhow.

I may call Sigma and mention it anyhow. They should really do something about that. It seems most Sigma's have the same issue. Luckily I only own the 1 sigma lens.
--
Tommy
http://martindigital.zenfolio.com

Tommy Martin's gear list:Tommy Martin's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Tommy Martin

I called Sigma about my 20-200 2.8. They said they are aware of the problem and the engineers at the main office are looking into it. It will need a firmware update so watch the web site for an announcement when the fix is ready
--
Tommy

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +3 more
Tommy Martin

Geesh, i don't know why there is no edit here.

That was supposed to say it's my 70-200 f2.8.
--
Tommy

scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,547

I have latest non-0S version of Sigma 70-200 2.8 and I'm expecting my d7000 body only this week. I'm not too concerned about live view focus except for perhaps occasional video. I'm assuming firmware update requires sending in to Sigma???

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Tommy Martin

Correct. I had to send mine in a good while back. It was a very fast turn around at that time.
--
Tommy
http://www.tlmartin.com

re2st New Member • Posts: 7

Count me in (for similar issue, I mean.. :).

Just received Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and 50mm f/1.4. Both exhibit similar issue with autofocus. They do try to autofocus, but just failed. Pressing shutter button halfway 3-4 times finally does it, but what's the point? I bought them for the continuous autofocus with live view.

I'm torn between returning them and just get the new G Nikkors (I had older D ones), or ride it out and see if Sigma can fix it. Using viewfinder is fantastic. The images they produce are spectacular. I really REALLY like it, except for that live view issue. And too bad that was the main reason why I wanted them.

Please keep us updated for those who have sent the lens back to Sigma.

scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,547

recent non-os sigma 70-200 2.8 focuses in LV for me.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads