The "Thom Hogan" for Canon?

Started Oct 23, 2010 | Discussions
Mateo Miller Regular Member • Posts: 494
The "Thom Hogan" for Canon?

Canon curious and haven't found the Canon equivalent of Thom Hogan...
or Ken Rockwell for that matter.

Any suggestions ?

Mateo Miller's gear list:Mateo Miller's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
Arn
Arn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,589
Re: The "Thom Hogan" for Canon?

http://www.the-digital-picture.com might be it. Website isn't a blog type thing though.
--
pics: http://www.pbase.com/arn

Arn's gear list:Arn's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 5D Mark II Samsung NX20 Sony a7 Samsung NX1 +27 more
messner Contributing Member • Posts: 733

Hi

Not really "Thom Hogan" but some information about Canonstuff

http://www.juzaphoto.com/eng/index.htm

http://www.birdsasart.com/bn.html

Mvh

Omar Brännström

-- hide signature --
CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 6,525

I'm not sure what you mean. If you mean which professional photographers are sponsored by Canon, there is Arthur Morris, Art Wolfe, George Lepp and many others as well as the "Explorers of Light"

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct

David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,134

As far as I know, there is no one very analogous to Thom Hogan, to talk about Canon as he does about Nikon. It's sort of a Mac/PC situation, with Nikon in the Mac category, a brand that, because of its ikonic cultural appeal, attracts people to its brand in a way different manner than does Canon.

Aside from a brief flirtation with the original Canon F1 and Ftb, I used to shoot all Nikon for small format work - in fact, shot all the pro "F" Nikon film cameras from F2 to F5, and when converting to digital capture, naturally went with the D1X as soon as it was available (I got my two from the very first small shipment to America). Great camera for the time. For more serious work, I also had a big PhaseOne back and a small ArcaSwiss view cam. I had scads of Nikkors and would have never considered Canon, an obvious Phillistine of a business machine company always poking its nose into photography (just saying).

When it seemed that Nikon would never progress to full-frame for so very long, lauding as they did the superiority of their crop frame, and when their "imperial air" to not deign to communicate their direction, either towards full frame or not, to their loyal customers became too much to for me to bear, I took another look at Canon. The Canon 1Ds was already out there, a wonder of technology compared to all other small fromat DSLR's of the time. A truly nice guy, the regional Canon rep, heard from a dealer that I was kind of frustrated with Nikon, called me and asked if I would be interested to look at a 1Ds2, about a month or two before it was released. I said yes, and he dropped it off with a couple of lenses for about two weeks. I was totally blown away. It was even within a hair of my P1/Arca outfit for real resolution and definition. That did it. I sold my Nikon gear, and eventually even the PhaseOne stuff, and bought a boatload of Canon. Since then, I've never looked back, Canon all the way.

The reason for this long-winded history is that, had I been just a little more complacent, I would have waited a few more years, as did some of my colleagues, waited for Nikon to catch up. Why, when it would have made no economic or technical sense? Because then, to me, and now, to so many others, Nikon was more than a camera or camera company, it was a badge of professionalism, a mark of connoseurship; heck, there was even a Paul Simon song written about it, along with "Kodachrome" in its title. Besides the fact that they made fine cameras and lenses, Nikon, and by reflection its users, had become just plain cool. Like Mac owners, you could bask in a feeling of superiority just by owning something.

That's why there's a Thom Hogan for Nikon and not one for Canon. The people who use Canons for their work or very serious hobby (Thoms' audience among the Nikonistas), generally do so because it is either better for the type of work they do, or cheaper than alternatives, or whatever the local sales person was pushing, or a combination of those things. Allthough there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of so-called Canon "fanboys," their numbers, given the total ownership percentages in the market, are dwarfed by the passion and proportion of Nikon boosters among its users. Easy proof is right here all the time; the number of Nikon people on this Canon forum dwarfs the number of Canon people on their forum. Their's is serious missionary work.

So, there is a guy who spends all his time writing about Nikons, their executives, their decisions, their upcoming products, their marketing strategies, their future product plans, giving product reviews, suggestions for improvements, wriiting product manuals and generally schmoozing everything about Nikon. Yes, there are a few sites dedicated to Canon rumors, but there are also those dedicated to every other brand. And, there are bloggers who talk quite a bit about Canon, but they are careful to distinguish their sites as having to do more with them and their work, not just Canon.

So, sorry, there is no Canon Thom Hogan, and there probably won't be one any time soon.

By the way, I'm still shooting Canon and will continue doing so as long as they keep making great cameras and lenses that don't disadvantage me in the marketplace.

Regards,
David
--
Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

Ludvig Senior Member • Posts: 1,607

Interesting story and very well written!

Came to think of this post some time ago pretty much about the same thing:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1032&message=27619479

Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,034
Thanks to both of you

for the insight into the mind of a Nikon user (I am already aware of the devotion to Zeiss & Leica products by some - heck durn, I own several lenses of each of these brands myself).

This explains a lot - why Nikon users sit by while their company of choice comes late to many evolutionary milestones & putting no pressure on the company to step up & and why this company seems in no hurry to make those milestones (FF, Hi-res, Hi-def video & many lesser inovations).

As for Thom Hogan, isn't he a "How To" book writer specializing in Nikon equipment (which I have never understood the need for) who hung out on Interent forums, his presence sort of doubled as promotion for those books and eventually snowballed into the Church of Thom Hogan? However, Thom Hogan seems to be the only reputable person putting "editorial" pressure on Nikon.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +9 more
OP Mateo Miller Regular Member • Posts: 494
Thanks for the info

Not sure where the Thom Hogan bashing is coming from.

I use his website and Naturfotograf ( http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1 ) to research lenses and the occasional camera review.

Thought someone on the Canon side would have a similar website.

I didn't know I belonged to three cults (Apple, Nikon, and Thom Hogan)

The fact that I'm Canon curious during one of the "BIGGEST RELEASES" in Nikon history (D7000) should indicate that not every Nikon user is a "fan boy".

Pentax, Sony, Canon, and Nikon all have there pluses and minus.

I have owned various Nikons over the years (Nikkormat FT3, FM) and Pentax (Spotmatic F and 6x7)...good cameras all.

I like the idea of 17-40L & 70-200 f/4 kit. Won't break the bank or the back with excellent results.

Nikon doesn't offer an affordable alternative in this range IMHO.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
ximul Regular Member • Posts: 250

Very interesting and well-written piece, David and I think a lot of that is true! So...

...how about starting up a Canon-oriiented blog ?

gaiaswill Forum Member • Posts: 78
Nikon users buy books

I recall that Thom once said that when he was starting out as a technical writer, his publisher/editor/whatever told him that Nikon system books sold much better than similar Canon books. So he learned Nikon. I think he makes more income on books than images. I really wish I could find the link to that post again.

It must work well enough though. I don't use Nikon and I follow him anyway.

Not sure what the book buying pattern says about the users of the two brands.

gaiaswill's gear list:gaiaswill's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15 Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +9 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,034
Re: Thanks for the info

Mateo Miller wrote:

Not sure where the Thom Hogan bashing is coming from.

I have no idea where you are seeing the Thom Hogan bashing in this thread.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 +9 more
OP Mateo Miller Regular Member • Posts: 494
Re: Thanks for the info

I misread an earlier post on my iPhone.

My apologies.

I agree David gave a very thoughtful and well written response.

Kudos

Photo_AK
Photo_AK Senior Member • Posts: 1,148

David Franklin wrote:

As far as I know, there is no one very analogous to Thom Hogan, to talk about Canon as he does about Nikon. It's sort of a Mac/PC situation, with Nikon in the Mac category, a brand that, because of its ikonic cultural appeal, attracts people to its brand in a way different manner than does Canon.

Aside from a brief flirtation with the original Canon F1 and Ftb, I used to shoot all Nikon for small format work - in fact, shot all the pro "F" Nikon film cameras from F2 to F5, and when converting to digital capture, naturally went with the D1X as soon as it was available (I got my two from the very first small shipment to America). Great camera for the time. For more serious work, I also had a big PhaseOne back and a small ArcaSwiss view cam. I had scads of Nikkors and would have never considered Canon, an obvious Phillistine of a business machine company always poking its nose into photography (just saying).

When it seemed that Nikon would never progress to full-frame for so very long, lauding as they did the superiority of their crop frame, and when their "imperial air" to not deign to communicate their direction, either towards full frame or not, to their loyal customers became too much to for me to bear, I took another look at Canon. The Canon 1Ds was already out there, a wonder of technology compared to all other small fromat DSLR's of the time. A truly nice guy, the regional Canon rep, heard from a dealer that I was kind of frustrated with Nikon, called me and asked if I would be interested to look at a 1Ds2, about a month or two before it was released. I said yes, and he dropped it off with a couple of lenses for about two weeks. I was totally blown away. It was even within a hair of my P1/Arca outfit for real resolution and definition. That did it. I sold my Nikon gear, and eventually even the PhaseOne stuff, and bought a boatload of Canon. Since then, I've never looked back, Canon all the way.

The reason for this long-winded history is that, had I been just a little more complacent, I would have waited a few more years, as did some of my colleagues, waited for Nikon to catch up. Why, when it would have made no economic or technical sense? Because then, to me, and now, to so many others, Nikon was more than a camera or camera company, it was a badge of professionalism, a mark of connoseurship; heck, there was even a Paul Simon song written about it, along with "Kodachrome" in its title. Besides the fact that they made fine cameras and lenses, Nikon, and by reflection its users, had become just plain cool. Like Mac owners, you could bask in a feeling of superiority just by owning something.

That's why there's a Thom Hogan for Nikon and not one for Canon. The people who use Canons for their work or very serious hobby (Thoms' audience among the Nikonistas), generally do so because it is either better for the type of work they do, or cheaper than alternatives, or whatever the local sales person was pushing, or a combination of those things. Allthough there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of so-called Canon "fanboys," their numbers, given the total ownership percentages in the market, are dwarfed by the passion and proportion of Nikon boosters among its users. Easy proof is right here all the time; the number of Nikon people on this Canon forum dwarfs the number of Canon people on their forum. Their's is serious missionary work.

So, there is a guy who spends all his time writing about Nikons, their executives, their decisions, their upcoming products, their marketing strategies, their future product plans, giving product reviews, suggestions for improvements, wriiting product manuals and generally schmoozing everything about Nikon. Yes, there are a few sites dedicated to Canon rumors, but there are also those dedicated to every other brand. And, there are bloggers who talk quite a bit about Canon, but they are careful to distinguish their sites as having to do more with them and their work, not just Canon.

So, sorry, there is no Canon Thom Hogan, and there probably won't be one any time soon.

By the way, I'm still shooting Canon and will continue doing so as long as they keep making great cameras and lenses that don't disadvantage me in the marketplace.

Amen!

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'you can never get close enough'. Well, he did.... He also often visited my daily photoblog at http://logatec.blogspot.com/

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Leica Q Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads