5D - Think different... (pics)

Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions
John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
5D - Think different... (pics)
1

Why don't you try manual focus with old cheap len with original 5D? In this topic I'll show some nice pics of my daughter, she's asian-23 months old. All pics are taken with Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS and are converted from RAWs using DPP:

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Luciano Oliveira Contributing Member • Posts: 895
Great photos

That Nikkor looks fantastic. What type of adapter are you using?

-- hide signature --

Luciano Oliveira

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,420
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Gorgeous shots!

John-Nguyen wrote:

Why don't you try manual focus with old cheap len with original 5D? In this topic I'll show some nice pics of my daughter, she's asian-23 months old. All pics are taken with Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS and are converted from RAWs using DPP:

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Great photos

Thanks Luciano. I'm using a Chinese AF confirm adapter, it's only 35$ from my country. The AF confirm's very accurate so I don't want anything more.

Luciano Oliveira wrote:

That Nikkor looks fantastic. What type of adapter are you using?

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
PeterY Senior Member • Posts: 2,329
Re: Great photos

Can you let me know where I can get that adapter please? Thanks.

John-Nguyen wrote:

Thanks Luciano. I'm using a Chinese AF confirm adapter, it's only 35$ from my country. The AF confirm's very accurate so I don't want anything more.

Luciano Oliveira wrote:

That Nikkor looks fantastic. What type of adapter are you using?

 PeterY's gear list:PeterY's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 +3 more
David Franklin Senior Member • Posts: 1,575
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Mr. Nguyen, you have a lovely daughter, ta da da. (It's an old song lyric about a Mr. Jones - please forgive my terrible nostalgia). She is a beautiful little girl.

About the lens. I had one when I was a Nikon film shooter, along with a lot more, and a series of F2, F3, F4, F5 and, finally, D1x, bodies. It is a wonderful lens. Even though it is now a bargain, when new, in its day, it was not cheap at all; it was an expensive high quality optic, albeit not quite as expensive as would have been a 70-200 or 80-200 f/2.8 zoom, but sharper. I loved mine. Good luck with it; its a great non-Canon choice.

Your post also brings to mind a matter which often amuses me - the seeming helplessness of so many of today's shooters to even contemplate, much less settle for, any kind oif manual focusing, as though it would be impossbile to take great pictures without your camera doing the focusing for you. Your pictures attest to the fact that you can make great pictures while actually focusing the lens yourself - learn from this man everybody! To this day, I rarely autofcus a picture for work on a professional project, unless unusual circumstances dictate that it would be the most likely to yield an in-focus picture - usually some very, very fast action shots.

Keep on shooting. If you want an idea for another cheap and ubiquitous lens, try an old 105mm f2.5 (non macro) Nikkor lens for a shorter portrait lens; it was once the lens by which you judged all others of its focal length. Maybe not the very sharpest lens ever, but it "drew" a beautiful image of people.

Regards,
David

-- hide signature --

Keep learning; share knowledge; think seriously about outcomes; seek wisdom.

 David Franklin's gear list:David Franklin's gear list
Canon EOS R5
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: Great photos

Send me 50$, if you dare ;))

PeterY wrote:
Can you let me know where I can get that adapter please? Thanks.

John-Nguyen wrote:

Thanks Luciano. I'm using a Chinese AF confirm adapter, it's only 35$ from my country. The AF confirm's very accurate so I don't want anything more.

Luciano Oliveira wrote:

That Nikkor looks fantastic. What type of adapter are you using?

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Thank you, Franklin

I've just sold-out all of my "L"s and looking for as many as possible MF lens, such as Nikkor AIS or Carl Zeiss C/Y lens.

"L" series absolutely are great lens but I'm trying something different. That's my hobby

As you mentioned about the 105 f2.5, that's the first len when I'm thinking about Nikkor MF:

A nice Vietnamese girl, taken with 50D and 105 f2.5 AIS. As you can see, entire picture is not "smooth as silk" as my 5D:

and this using 55mm macro nikkor:

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

According to David Franklin, I found that manual focusing helps me get tons of great portraits and I'm sure people would went crazy if they try manual focusing on action!

Wow! these two pics are taken with 50 years old Nikkor-H 50mm f2, they look incredible!

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Pics are taken today with 180mm f2.8.

When shooting at close distance, the bokeh is unbelievable!

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

A new pic. Hope people like it

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Bigjohnnybob Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Truly breathtaking portraits in every way, some of the best I've ever seen

I'm on this forum because I'm about to order a 5D2 and a set of 'L' primes for fashion work. I just hope these L lenses are as good as your old Nikon (someone please tell me they are!). I'm from the Carl Zeiss school of lens appreciation . . .
--
http://www.jonathanposner.com

 Bigjohnnybob's gear list:Bigjohnnybob's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3
OP John-Nguyen Junior Member • Posts: 31
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Thanks for your comment.

I'm only shooting portrait currently so I think MF is better for me: I'm able to control focusing TO and IN every point that I want to.

I've choosen MF Nikkor lens just because they are cheap but near to perfect! If you can afford "L" primes, go ahead, they must be good (or perfect) all of the way.

My most favourite len is Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS *ED, it's just about 300$ (EX+) in my country but it can talk to every prime or zoom lens with focal length arround it, of course I don't need auto focus.

One more pic with 180mm f2.8 AIS , hope you like it again

-- hide signature --

Canon FF + Nikon AIS = Say goodbye to Photoshop

 John-Nguyen's gear list:John-Nguyen's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Bigjohnnybob Forum Member • Posts: 52
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Lovely portrait and again, spine-tingling image quality. I'll probably get an adaptor for my Zeiss lenses once I've got my 5D2 but truth be told I'm kinda looking forward to the autofocus as I'm finding fast lenses a little tricky to manual-focus (must be age). In spite of what I've been reading on here about perceived deficiencies in the autofocus points on the 5D2 the thought of having even just a central focussing point is making me extremely happy.

Anyway, with your beautiful imagery you've only confirmed what I've always believed: namely, given a 'mature' digital camera such as the 5D2 clearly is, by far the greatest contribution to supreme image quality is the optics. In years to come I very much doubt whether there will be a significant, noticeable or even desirable increase in subjective image quality from the 5d Mk3, or even Mk4.
--
http://www.jonathanposner.com

 Bigjohnnybob's gear list:Bigjohnnybob's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-Pro3
SOB1 Contributing Member • Posts: 551
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

I have the AF version of the Nikkor 180f2.8D and I think your AIS is sharper than my AFD version of 180f2.8 , how do they compare optically?

I also MF most of times with my Zeiss and some FD primes but looking at your AIS180 photos , it looks like a super bargain lens.

thanks for sharing.

John-Nguyen wrote:

Thanks for your comment.

I'm only shooting portrait currently so I think MF is better for me: I'm able to control focusing TO and IN every point that I want to.

I've choosen MF Nikkor lens just because they are cheap but near to perfect! If you can afford "L" primes, go ahead, they must be good (or perfect) all of the way.

My most favourite len is Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS *ED, it's just about 300$ (EX+) in my country but it can talk to every prime or zoom lens with focal length arround it, of course I don't need auto focus.

One more pic with 180mm f2.8 AIS , hope you like it again

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 16,420
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

There you go, that shot with the bokeh shows what the lens is all about on a 5d. Crystal clear image quality and looks like great bokeh. You have a winner combo there. Congrats.

John-Nguyen wrote:

When shooting at close distance, the bokeh is unbelievable!

 MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +9 more
Vigy
Vigy Contributing Member • Posts: 565
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Thanks, all your pics are wonderfull.
--
Be Happy Vigy
Some pics: eos40d + ef50 f/1.8-m1
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33909119@N04/

 Vigy's gear list:Vigy's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M5
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,963
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

Bigjohnnybob wrote:

Lovely portrait and again, spine-tingling image quality. I'll probably get an adaptor for my Zeiss lenses once I've got my 5D2 but truth be told I'm kinda looking forward to the autofocus as I'm finding fast lenses a little tricky to manual-focus (must be age). In spite of what I've been reading on here about perceived deficiencies in the autofocus points on the 5D2 the thought of having even just a central focussing point is making me extremely happy.

AF is a wonderful thing if your subjects (and/or you) are moving. I'm sure you will love your L primes. I hope you have the 135L among your selection.

However, it has been said that the new 70-200 f/2.8LIS Mark II can replace all your primes in that range, for IQ at least. It's still a BWL (big white lens), and maxes out at f/2.8, but it's stunning.

And as you can see the center AF point is not too shabby at all. He's sliding down an inflatable waterslide.

 JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
JackM
JackM Veteran Member • Posts: 8,963
Agreed

My Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.4 is a little bit sharper than my 24-70L on my 5DII. It cost $100 plus $20 for an adapter.

 JackM's gear list:JackM's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +7 more
BSfo2 Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: 5D - Think different... (pics)

John-Nguyen wrote:

Why don't you try manual focus with old cheap len with original 5D? In this topic I'll show some nice pics of my daughter, she's asian-23 months old. All pics are taken with Nikkor 180mm f2.8 AIS and are converted from RAWs using DPP:

-What a sweetie, number 2 is just great....

They doesen´t get cuter than thát....

Bjarke
--

God Love the Quiet and Sweet of All Kind, live it and pass it on whenever You can....

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads