D7000 dead/hot/stuck pixel in live view mode

Started Oct 16, 2010 | Discussions
cubivore New Member • Posts: 21
D7000 dead/hot/stuck pixel in live view mode

i was lucky to get a d7k at BB yesterday! i came home, played around for a bit and noticed that in live view in low light situations there are 3-4 hot pixels (blue, red, green, black). at first i figured the were just lcd problems. then i took some pix and didn't see anything obvious even with noise reduction off. then i shot some video and here's where the problem unfolds. only in low light will the pixels show up in the video. if i'm in a bright/normal lit room or outside there is no problem. i could deal with it if it was just happening during pix, but how to correct that during video shooting is beyond me. i've reviewd the movies on my computer so i know it's a sensor issue. i guess i'm gonna have to do an exchange and hope for the best. any one else notice anything like this on their new d7000?

Bob from Plymouth
Bob from Plymouth Contributing Member • Posts: 649
Re: D7000 dead/hot/stuck pixel in live view mode

Does the D7000 allow pixel mapping?

Bob from Plymouth's gear list:Bob from Plymouth's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P300 Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D700 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
OP cubivore New Member • Posts: 21

i'm not sure if it does pixel mapping, but here's a screen cap of at least three visible hot pixels.

another guy on nikon rumors is having a similar problem.

OP cubivore New Member • Posts: 21
scokill
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,431

Return it.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
baconcow Regular Member • Posts: 192

Hot/dead/stuck pixels in an LCD, on a sensor, or anywhere are annoying. Being able to deal with the with PP in your pictures doesn't mean you should have to. I would return it asap and hope for a flawless one. Good luck.

Imthinking Forum Member • Posts: 89

That's not a flaw, that's just the result of the live view amping up the sensor in low light conditions.

It has nothing to do with the picture you will take and you won't see the hot pixels in better lighting.

This is just the natural result of the camera trying to make it easier for you to see what it going on in low light conditions. Turn off live view if it bothers you.

To prove my point take a picture in live view with teh lens cap on. You will notice tons of hot pixels as it ramps up the live view to maximum to compensate for the pitch black. However, you'll notice the picture you take has no hot pixels in it.

Woodchuck312 Forum Member • Posts: 88

I had the same thing 2-3 dead pixels on my sensor. One was very bright and annoying near dead center of the image. Very noticeable in low light movies. Looks like a bright shining star in the middle of your movie.

Not acceptable to me at all. Mine got returned to Best Buy for a full refund. I posted up a review that should be posted soon. I will not be getting another D7000

Imthinking wrote:

That's not a flaw, that's just the result of the live view amping up the sensor in low light conditions.

It has nothing to do with the picture you will take and you won't see the hot pixels in better lighting.

This is just the natural result of the camera trying to make it easier for you to see what it going on in low light conditions. Turn off live view if it bothers you.

Jared Huntr Senior Member • Posts: 2,072

Woodchuck312 wrote:

Not acceptable to me at all. Mine got returned to Best Buy for a full refund. I posted up a review that should be posted soon. I will not be getting another D7000

Isn't this like getting a bad meal at a restaurant and then vowing not to go to another restaurant again?

Why swear off a model simply due to sample variation?

Imthinking wrote:

To prove my point take a picture in live view with teh lens cap on. You will notice tons of hot pixels as it ramps up the live view to maximum to compensate for the pitch black. However, you'll notice the picture you take has no hot pixels in it.

What are you not getting? The poster said he saw the pixels when reviewing the video on a computer.

I guess I missed that. Well that blows.

Hachima New Member • Posts: 5

If you have 3-4 stuck pixels from your sensor, maybe you are lucky? I count 12 easily visible ones on mine and 20 if I count the very slightly stuck ones.

10 meg MOV you can watch to see the major ones. Some flicker on and off, while others are very stuck. http://home.comcast.net/~hachima/stuckpixels.mov

HomeDesigner01 Contributing Member • Posts: 696
Mine has (1) blue dot....

Under the same conditions that you explained. But I haven't shot any video under low light yet to see if it shows up.
--
Brian

OneSix New Member • Posts: 11

Man i have the same problem I have 3 hot pixel when recording video. What should I do? Should I return it?

Steve Bingham
Steve Bingham Forum Pro • Posts: 27,673
No problem. Perfectly mormal.

1- Jpg will usually take care of the problem automatically.
2- Later, using a raw converter, it will also be taken care of automatically.

Relax and enjoy your camera!
--
Steve Bingham
http://www.dustylens.com
http://www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve Bingham's gear list:Steve Bingham's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +32 more
OneSix New Member • Posts: 11
Re: No problem. Perfectly mormal.

Steve Bingham wrote:

--
Steve Bingham

im not worrying about stills but more about the video.

Hot pixels not acceptable for video

OneSix wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

--
Steve Bingham

im not worrying about stills but more about the video.

HD video opens up a whole new avenue for artistic expression with dSLRs. I too would be very concerned about bright colored fixed pixels in my video. These defects can no longer be so easily dismissed.

aimbdd Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: Hot pixels not acceptable for video

no problems here.

Re: Hot pixels not acceptable for video

aimbdd wrote:

no problems here.

No problem with your sensor or no problems with tolerating a defective sensor?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads