Utility to solve green edges problem.

Started Oct 7, 2010 | Discussions
Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Utility to solve green edges problem.

Now hidden away in a former post about this problem was a reply by JOLON. Here's what he said. I am repeating as think due it being way down the former thread, it will not be seen and thus missed by those for whom it could prove very helpful.

I put together a small tool to adjust the green cast in Sigma images. You can download it from here:

http://sites.google.com/site/greenfixsoftware

Here is the fish photo with red vignette brought up:

I don't have a Sigma camera (yet) so there aren't any image samples.

Greenfix will open JPEG, PNG, and TIFF, but will only save in JPEG and PNG. JPEG quality is fairly ordinary, so I would recommend saving as PNG.

The image scaling is the default in Java so it might look poor on screen, but won't affect the output quality.

The algorithm assumes a quadratic fall-off from the centre. The sliders determine how quickly the fall off occurs. Green and blue sliders are also provided.

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

Ed_S
Ed_S Veteran Member • Posts: 8,078
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

Zone8 wrote:
snip

I don't have a Sigma camera (yet) so there aren't any image samples.

snip

Brian,

Nice work on the "green edges" fix. Puzzled by your comment above.

Best,

-- hide signature --
OP Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

Ed_S wrote:

Puzzled by your comment above.

I was just re-posting message from Jolon - not having a Sigma was his remark, so no need to be puzzled.

Interesting that a non-owner-user took the time and trouble to try and fix a problem out of his user domain. Shows that some visitors really are interested in the Foveon technology and enough to try and help. Compare that to the trolls who do their best to (verbally, but unconvincingly) trash everything in sight - especially when they are already wearing both blinkers and very dark sunglasses and in truth, reveal nothing but their own lack of commonsense = idgits on display. Open their mouths and put their big boots in.

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

OP Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

I am repeating this because in another thread, it was obvious this free utility has been missed as one message was asking about this problem - and despite there being two chances to get the utility, seems not to have been noticed.

Zone8 wrote:

Ed_S wrote:

Puzzled by your comment above.

I was just re-posting message from Jolon - not having a Sigma was his remark, so no need to be puzzled.

Interesting that a non-owner-user took the time and trouble to try and fix a problem out of his user domain. Shows that some visitors really are interested in the Foveon technology and enough to try and help. Compare that to the trolls who do their best to (verbally, but unconvincingly) trash everything in sight - especially when they are already wearing both blinkers and very dark sunglasses and in truth, reveal nothing but their own lack of commonsense = idgits on display. Open their mouths and put their big boots in.

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

LMC54 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,808
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

DP1 had this problem but they did fix with a new SPP. I'm not trying to start trouble but wouldn't be logical to demand Sigma for a fix rather than doing another step in processing? All the RAWs shot will be fine once a fix is made. Maybe I'm missing something, I probably am.

Regards,
Larry

-- hide signature --

Seriously, can you take DPR seriously?

OP Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

LMC54 wrote:

wouldn't be logical to demand Sigma for a fix rather than doing another step in processing? All the RAWs shot will be fine once a fix is made. Maybe I'm missing something, I probably am.

Agreed Larry .... BUT as someone, not even a Sigma guy, has taken time and trouble to produce a freebie utility, suggestion is to not look a gift horse in the mouth but use it gratefully as it's available like NOW.

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

Jolon New Member • Posts: 13
Re: Utility to solve green edges problem.

Ed_S wrote:
Zone8 wrote:
snip

I don't have a Sigma camera (yet) so there aren't any image samples.

snip

Brian,

Nice work on the "green edges" fix. Puzzled by your comment above.

Best,

Hi Ed_S,

The image in the screenshot was from the original thread (I didn't take the photo myself):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1027&message=36510752

I've ordered a DP1s from Clifton's in the UK for 229 pounds. The software was insurance for myself

However, CornerFix does look like a more advanced fix to the problem.

I've changed the name to 'Vignette' so to not cause confusion with CornerFix:

http://sites.google.com/site/vignettesoftware/

Jolon.

Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,124
Re: Hmmmmm ... I am not sure ...

First ... nice work by the programmer of the tool.

But ... I am not sure ...

This image looks not good. It does not look fixed ... rather improved only.

OK - its a dead fish on a sandy beach - not maybe the most photogenic subject.

But ... apart from that ... I think the coloring looks "fishy" and in a strange way uneven. Maybe its possible to make it better by some other choice of parameters.

But ... I get a feeling that something more than color vignetting is at play here.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
OP Zone8 Forum Pro • Posts: 17,276
Re: Hmmmmm ... I am not sure ...

Roland Karlsson wrote:

But ... apart from that ... I think the coloring looks "fishy" and in a strange way uneven. Maybe its possible to make it better by some other choice of parameters.

Clearly, Roland, it's all down to the scales of things!

-- hide signature --

Zone8

The photograph isolates and perpetuates a moment of time: an important and revealing moment, or an unimportant and meaningless one, depending upon the photographer's understanding of his subject and mastery of his process. -Edward Weston
http://www.photosnowdonia.co.uk/ZPS

mrmut
mrmut Contributing Member • Posts: 628
Thanks a lot!

Thanks a lot for this, I've been searchign for right tool for a while.

 mrmut's gear list:mrmut's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-450 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 8mm 1:3.5 Fisheye +3 more
Roland Karlsson Forum Pro • Posts: 28,124
Re: Thanks a lot!

Its strange that Photoshop has such a crude solution. The Lens Correction filter sux big time as you can only do it for all layers - which in practice makes it impossible to use for this purpose.

-- hide signature --

Roland

support http://www.openraw.org/
(Sleeping - so the need to support it is even higher)

X3F tools : http://www.proxel.se/x3f.html

 Roland Karlsson's gear list:Roland Karlsson's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony RX100 III Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads