dazzle 6 in 1 card reader on OSX

Started Oct 2, 2010 | Discussions
demotic New Member • Posts: 10
dazzle 6 in 1 card reader on OSX

I bought a Dazzle 6-in-1 card reader many years ago, for use with my PC. Now that I'm using a macbook I can't get it to recognise SD cards. In fact, the mac does not recognise that anything at all has been inserted. (it works fine on Vista/Windows 7)

Normally I'd try to update my macbook drivers. But it seems that the drivers are not available...or easy to find, at least from a site that I feel inclined to trust.

Does anyone have a copy of the mac drivers for this product?

TIA

demotic

wklee Veteran Member • Posts: 7,645
Re: dazzle 6 in 1 card reader on OSX

I would suggest buying a new card reader. The Dazzle card reader is USB 1.1 and therefore will perform very slowly compared to the latest card readers. USB 3.0 is already here.

Transfer rates:
USB 1.1 = 1.5 MB/s
USB 2.0 = 20 --30 MB/s
USB 3.0 = 400 MB/s

demotic wrote:

I bought a Dazzle 6-in-1 card reader many years ago, for use with my PC. Now that I'm using a macbook I can't get it to recognise SD cards. In fact, the mac does not recognise that anything at all has been inserted. (it works fine on Vista/Windows 7)

Normally I'd try to update my macbook drivers. But it seems that the drivers are not available...or easy to find, at least from a site that I feel inclined to trust.

Does anyone have a copy of the mac drivers for this product?

TIA

demotic

-- hide signature --

Never buy version 1.0 of anything.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 13,924

Looks like Zio was eaten by a bigger fish (SmartDisk), which itself became dinner for an even bigger fish (Verbatim). Maybe Verbatim's site has a driver, but it sounds like there is not too much point in trying to salvage a USB 1.1 device.

Abbott Schindler Senior Member • Posts: 2,672

For what it costs to buy a good USB2 multi-format card reader, I also advise that you just buy a new one. I have USB units from both Sony and SanDisk and they run circles around my old Dazzle unit. I also have a Lexar FireWire CF/SD reader that's excellent.

Frankly, support for Dazzle's old products ended when the company was bought out years ago. And at this point I don't think their products are generally worth even looking at. Sad; they really had some good stuff a decade ago.

Abbott

OP demotic New Member • Posts: 10

yep, you're right re. getting a new card reader. but since i'm in greece right now and interested in backing up pics and viewing on my mac, i was hoping someone would have a link, but more in hope than expectation

thanks anyway...

Abbott Schindler Senior Member • Posts: 2,672

Don't you always travel with a cable that connects your camera directly to your computer? (I think this is a pretty basic piece of travel kit).

If you do have the cable, just download directly from the camera. The only downside I can think of is that it will drain some battery juice. But of course, you have a charger and/or spare batteries with you, right?

Abbott

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 13,924

Surely Greece has computer and electronics stores. Just stop by one of those, and pick up a reader, maybe one of those little "mobile" SD readers that looks a bit like a USB flash drive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads