Broke the VG10

Started Sep 29, 2010 | Discussions
yomasa Regular Member • Posts: 394
Broke the VG10

Had the VG10 mounted on this glidcam 4000 that was setting on the floor at the time

when it got bumped over and did this damage to the VG10

it did not fall, it tipped over 1.5 ft

what now?

yomasa's gear list:yomasa's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Pentax 645D Sony a7R Nikon 1 J4 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
Foxwizgsk Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Re: Broke the VG10

Does it still work?

Call Sony to see what it costs to fix. You didn't provide much info

OP yomasa Regular Member • Posts: 394

ya it works; just can't mount it...

yomasa's gear list:yomasa's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Pentax 645D Sony a7R Nikon 1 J4 Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L
AdamJRed Contributing Member • Posts: 545

tipped over is still falling, not necessarily a straight drop but not that much farther off for calculation purposes.

Was the camera mounted on that little tripod mount?

With a combined weight of 1,300g and it tipping over 1.5feet - your looking at it hitting the ground at around 3m/s - or striking the ground with an equivalent of 70-90 lbs of force, easily enough to break many lens mounts, let alone tripod mounts...

yomasa wrote:

it did not fall, it tipped over 1.5 ft

what now?

AdamJRed's gear list:AdamJRed's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Lytro Light Field 8GB Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR
SelectiveAperture Regular Member • Posts: 264

This is actually good! This happened to my brand new Sony HVR-V1 ( The first 1080 24p broadcast camcorder) right after I bought it. A "Friend" knocked it over while it was on a heavy tri-pod - but because the shoe is made of pot metal it took the shock of the fall and the camera still runs to this day 4 years on (and still filming commercials models and the first 2 pics showing NEX with M42 adapter my first post yesterday) I might add.

Hopefully yours still works, too - the part cost me $90 including new screws cus they get stripped or lost anyway. Hope this helps!

snapandgo Regular Member • Posts: 151

Ouch!

When I get mine I am getting a 4 year cover for £299 which covers accidents and children.

JimJohnD Regular Member • Posts: 175

Sorry to see that. I have the GlideCam2000Pro and I can see how easily it happened. My problem was solved by a convergence of hobbies. I have an acoustic guitar I keep on a stand. While practicing with the GlideCam I was looking for a 'safe' place to park it for a few minutes. Then I saw the guitar stand; ding-ding-ding:) The GlideCam with the camera mounted hang on the top collar like it was designed for that purpose (the top collar hooks just between the GC mounting platform and gimbals). One would have to fall on top of it to knock it over.

Here is a link to the type of stand I am referring to:
http://www.samash.com/p/Black%20Metal%20Guitar%20Stand_-49950328
--

'Framing reality one shot at a time' or 'If it's not in the frame, it doesn't exist.'

heynowtest Regular Member • Posts: 399

Contact Sony for repair. It looks like that plastic housing can easily be replaced.

Torch Senior Member • Posts: 1,979

Well that was dumb. Now you can't trust mounting it again until you send it in for repair.

To Stop Bumping

Perhaps if you had 4 guy wires in 4 directions going from the top of the tripod to the floor the person would trip and smash their face smack down first instead. Ok, you might lose a wire or have to tighten it.

-- hide signature --

Torch

Newbienex Junior Member • Posts: 44

go to sony repair center...

narci Regular Member • Posts: 178

If you bought through credit card, some credit card companies will have a separate credit card warranty for stuff like this.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads