Sigma HSM needs update for SAFOX IX?

Started Sep 25, 2010 | Discussions
Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Sigma HSM needs update for SAFOX IX?

In a recent thread, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=36445031 , it says that Sigma HSM is inconsistent on the new Pentax K-5. Maybe we should start a new thread about this specific matter.

My experience with Sigma HSM on my K10D and K-x is that the behavior is similar to Pentax SDM. Perhaps the new faster SAFOX IX system in the K-5 and K-r requires update of Sigma HSM? This is bad news for Sigma users, even though I believe Sigma will offer this for free if it is needed. But if this is the case, one needs to send the Sigma lens in to Sigma distributor for replacement of the internal chip.
--
Take care
Raphael
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo/

jonny1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277
Re: Sigma HSM needs update for SAFOX IX?

i have already answer u in my thread...i used the sigma with k7.

Raphael Mabo wrote:

In a recent thread, http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=36445031 , it says that Sigma HSM is inconsistent on the new Pentax K-5. Maybe we should start a new thread about this specific matter.

My experience with Sigma HSM on my K10D and K-x is that the behavior is similar to Pentax SDM. Perhaps the new faster SAFOX IX system in the K-5 and K-r requires update of Sigma HSM? This is bad news for Sigma users, even though I believe Sigma will offer this for free if it is needed. But if this is the case, one needs to send the Sigma lens in to Sigma distributor for replacement of the internal chip.
--
Take care
Raphael
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raphaelmabo/

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,393

For a time, Sigma flash units needed a chip replacement for each generation of Pentax DSLR. Perhaps that will be the case with Sigma HSM too.

Joe

Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

i was going to reference your comment that you used a K7. but, you beat me.

jonny1976 wrote:

hey, you just wanted to post your thoughts about your visit to the camera show and you may have ended up being the start of a new rumor !!!

i know you have tried to straighten things out and appear to have no interest in rumoring about. just interesting how these things get started... Mr. Mabo took what you said (innocent as it was), determined Sigmas need to be re-chipped, and initiated this thread. in 3 minutes...

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
jonny1976 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,277

sure
any critic intention agains sir Mabo..just i decided to point out this thing.

i have great expectations for the sigma lenses. But they were really bad. maybe those model had problems. i dont know. tomorrow ill go back and check again the thing.

Tan68 wrote:
i was going to reference your comment that you used a K7. but, you beat me.

jonny1976 wrote:

hey, you just wanted to post your thoughts about your visit to the camera show and you may have ended up being the start of a new rumor !!!

i know you have tried to straighten things out and appear to have no interest in rumoring about. just interesting how these things get started... Mr. Mabo took what you said (innocent as it was), determined Sigmas need to be re-chipped, and initiated this thread. in 3 minutes...

jonny1976's gear list:jonny1976's gear list
Nikon D2X
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,695

And i just bought my first Sigma HSM lens... oh well its got a good warranty on it and I only have to drive 45 minutes to take it into Sigma and have it updated
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Tan68
Tan68 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,778

when you tried the Sigmas, was it at the Sigma booth with your camera or at the Pentax booth ?

if you tried the Sigmas at the Pentax booth, Pentax may have "chipped" them to make them work worse than the Pentax lenses ;^)

have fun tomorrow !

jonny1976 wrote:

i have great expectations for the sigma lenses. But they were really bad. maybe those model had problems. i dont know. tomorrow ill go back and check again the thing.

Tan68's gear list:Tan68's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro +1 more
kenyee Senior Member • Posts: 1,522
fairly common in the Canon world too

Every time Canon released a body, Sigma had to update their firmware a while back, so it's no real surprise. They reverse engineered the protocol...

For a time, the Sigma HSM lenses didn't focus in Liveview on the K20D or K7...

kenyee's gear list:kenyee's gear list
Pentax K20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads