Imposible product shot?

Started Sep 23, 2010 | Discussions
rafafafa New Member • Posts: 5
Imposible product shot?

I know comercial product photography is a lot about special effects, sometimes you can use the most simple stuff to achieve your goal and sometimes it gets harder and you have to really use your brain to make that incredible shoot posible, and this time i just cant imagine what the photographer did to make his shoot.

It is about Nike and Adidas clothes in the woman secction of their website, i just can not imagine how they can form the t shirts or pants with the human body without a body!!!

If you look carefully you will realize that you can see the inner part of the clothes while still having the human form.
Photoshop?? come on, i do not think so!

I am into a t shirts photography proyect and i would love to impress my client with someting like this, so i would REALLY apreciate any ideas about it.
Thanks a lot!
(I hope this is the right forum to post this, please excuse me if i am wrong)
Rafa

-- hide signature --

My respect for color pixels.

MRWatts Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Imposible product shot?

My guess is its either a photoshop composite job or theres a tailoring frame of some kind that the product is fitted on. Note that you can't see behind the near shoulder strap so theres plenty of scope for a specially shaped frame to be there.

Jim Bianchi Regular Member • Posts: 342

I have seen clear dressing dummy's, wire, black and blue dummy's (blue screen cuts made easy)

Either or. Very automated using the corrected software. Photographer who make a living at this style don't spend a ton of time cutting and masking.

Getting the setup done before the photo makes post very quick.

When I photograph clothing, I hire a few models that represent the client's main customer base and have two changing while one is being photographed.

I also always hire one extra. Someone always flakes and doesn't show.

I had a very budget minded client who would not pay for models and wanted me to do in all in post (he wanted a lot of work in PS), with me shooting from standard dressing dummy. I quoted them the hourly rate (3x the shoot's cost) and they found girls on their own.

-- hide signature --

Jim Bianchi
http://www.thephotoop.com
Digital guru in the making.

Jim Bianchi's gear list:Jim Bianchi's gear list
Sony SLT-A77
owenleve
owenleve Senior Member • Posts: 2,791

are you sure this is a photo, not a computer generated rendering?
--

http://www.courtlevephoto.com
http://www.courtlevephotography.com

robertfel Senior Member • Posts: 1,737
+1 for rendering

or, less likely, plexi frame that was photoshopped out.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +25 more
OP rafafafa New Member • Posts: 5
Re: +1 for rendering

I am not so sure about the render idea, if you check the product on the nike website you can zoom in and the detail on fabrics is there so alive.

About the dummy and photoshop is the same, what kind of retouch they do to make it with that kind of detail in fabric also i agree that the guy that live on this kind of jobs dont spend hours on ps.

Wires doesnt sound so out of reality to me but that body shape made o wires?, the guy that made it is a genius.

-- hide signature --

robertfel Senior Member • Posts: 1,737
-1 for rendering

You're right, it's probably not rendering. I zoomed in. Awful moire.
I'm surprised they used the shots given how bad the moire is.

robertfel's gear list:robertfel's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +25 more
Re: -1 for rendering

Yes, i cant believe they use it, horrible moire there!
--

Re: -1 for rendering

Yes, i cant believe they use it, horrible moire there!
--

maxnimo Junior Member • Posts: 44

All I can say is that I could make something like this with my eyes closed. It's a very simple 3D modeling / uv mapping / texturing job. Very easy to do compared to some other CG stuff I've done.

rafafafa wrote:

I know comercial product photography is a lot about special effects, sometimes you can use the most simple stuff to achieve your goal and sometimes it gets harder and you have to really use your brain to make that incredible shoot posible, and this time i just cant imagine what the photographer did to make his shoot.

It is about Nike and Adidas clothes in the woman secction of their website, i just can not imagine how they can form the t shirts or pants with the human body without a body!!!

If you look carefully you will realize that you can see the inner part of the clothes while still having the human form.
Photoshop?? come on, i do not think so!

I am into a t shirts photography proyect and i would love to impress my client with someting like this, so i would REALLY apreciate any ideas about it.
Thanks a lot!
(I hope this is the right forum to post this, please excuse me if i am wrong)
Rafa

M Jesper
M Jesper Contributing Member • Posts: 513

I think you're right. Textures these days is something very common with cgi and has become absolutely photorealistic. Also if i look at the folds below the belly button, that is actually something much harder than detailed texture. Are maybe those folds exactly the same with other products ? Then there's the answer i guess.

Otherwise -filtered-out plastic frame i'd say. A polarizer of the reflection in the back, erase the arms 'n done.

Moire simply happens by using a bad quick automated resizer for the web-format jpg's. Should've used Lanczos4 Nike !

M Jesper's gear list:M Jesper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
M Jesper
M Jesper Contributing Member • Posts: 513

M Jesper wrote:

Moire simply happens by using a bad quick automated resizer for the web-format jpg's. Should've used Lanczos4 Nike !

Or 2, whatever
http://www.fine-view.com/en/r13/index.html

M Jesper's gear list:M Jesper's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100

I think i will forget about this thing, your theory about cg is getting me out of this.

I found this video: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/665733/discover_how_to_create_your_own_3d_virtual_girl/

In second 13 of the video i started to believe in you!
Thank you for your time, i think i will hang those t-shirts.

Rafa
--

CRiddell Regular Member • Posts: 346

it's a merge of 2 shots, I do it all the time for catalog work. It is shot in a clear dummy and the the back side is shot separately and merged in.

CRiddell's gear list:CRiddell's gear list
Nikon D800
Photochick333 Forum Member • Posts: 52

I reckon it had a platic mall/ dummy in it with no arms and photoshopped out and the back is a second shot

-- hide signature --

Image making from the heart!

Joyce van Dijk

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads