Bad news, for many, that Alpha 700 replacement will ......

Started Sep 23, 2010 | Discussions
Photostyle Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Bad news, for many, that Alpha 700 replacement will ......
Marti58
MOD Marti58 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,646
i predict panic by some ....nt
-- hide signature --

All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marti58/

Marti58's gear list:Marti58's gear list
Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Nikon Coolpix P500 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 +37 more
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 6,481
Bad news

Hmm, DK makes it sound like there will be no OVF a700 successor EVER, so not just an issue of no successor THIS YEAR - if so, that's pretty disappointing. Also interesting how he seems to make more of the translucent mirror and ghost imaging issues than any review site does - and i have a lot of respect for him. If stock agencies pixel peeping at 100% view (e.g. Alamy) reject a55 and a77 images for ghosting this is a real downer - I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm not desperate to upgrade my a700 but the thought that EVF or full frame are the ONLY options, isn't great. And this is coming from an EVF fan (R1 and Pannie G1 owner) - I still like my OVF in my main rig.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 +2 more
beakydave Senior Member • Posts: 2,140
Re: Bad news, for many, that Alpha 700 replacement will ......

But there were some encouraging words from DK (in hope, rather than expectation, I assume):

Because it will use Translucent mirror technology, you must not assume outright that this means no optical finder

Perhaps (again in hope, not expectation) this has contributed to the delay in the A77 - they're struggling to get the particular technology right.

TrojMacReady
TrojMacReady Veteran Member • Posts: 8,725
The "news" is 2 days old and has been discussed to death (nt)

notext

Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042
Why "bad"?

I know we like a good OVF, but the transluscent mirror plus EVF systemSony has put in the A33/A55 seems very good in many ways. IMHO when the A77 is lauched it will be at even a better level! Before calling it "bad" we must see and try it!!

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

http://lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +40 more
KEITH-C Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131
Re: Why "bad"?

Lucas_ wrote:

I know we like a good OVF, but the translucent mirror plus EVF system Sony has put in the A33/A55 seems very good in many ways. IMHO when the A77 is launched it will be at even a better level ! Before calling it "bad" we must see and try it!!

I'm not against optimism but there is an alternative way to what you have expressed - 'Before predicting a better level for the A77 we must see & try it ' ?
--
Keith-C

Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 5,743

I will not be replacing my A700 with an SLT period. The thought of replacing the OVF with a cartoon with a lens like the 70-400 is laughable. If the ghosting issue is real (a tilted piece of glass with finite thickness has to produce it) , then I simply will NOT buy one.

Hopefully, Sony will produce a new FF camera that is actually dedicated to still photography first (gee what a novel idea) and video second (or not at all). That sounds like the only saving grace here. In my view Sony has their head up their ...

I've got another year to keep using my A700, and either their will be a non-SLT replacement (either APS or FF), or it's bye-bye Sony.
--
Steve W
weather photos: http://home.comcast.net/~scwest/atmo/

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +5 more
Glenn Veteran Member • Posts: 7,877

Nothing realyl new there. It occured to me though that some of the people complaining about the mirror in the light path also use protection filters on their cameras heh...
--
http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/flyer/eye_cancer_en_CA.pdf

aikiman Forum Member • Posts: 63

+1 caveat: APS-C with AF-MA (and I'm not waiting another year...maybe 6 months).

Steve West wrote:

I've got another year to keep using my A700, and either their will be a non-SLT replacement (either APS or FF), or it's bye-bye Sony.

Cameranub23 Forum Member • Posts: 71

Glenn wrote:

Nothing realyl new there. It occured to me though that some of the people complaining about the mirror in the light path also use protection filters on their cameras heh...
--
http://www.fotosource.com/downloads/flyer/eye_cancer_en_CA.pdf

Ya I used my a33 last night with my UV filter on, and I got Ghosts everywhere! Took it off and could not find any.
--
Cody Österreicher

mzd Senior Member • Posts: 1,823

Steve West wrote:

I will not be replacing my A700 with an SLT period. The thought of replacing the OVF with a cartoon with a lens like the 70-400 is laughable. If the ghosting issue is real (a tilted piece of glass with finite thickness has to produce it) , then I simply will NOT buy one.

Hopefully, Sony will produce a new FF camera that is actually dedicated to still photography first (gee what a novel idea) and video second (or not at all). That sounds like the only saving grace here. In my view Sony has their head up their ...

--
Steve W
weather photos: http://home.comcast.net/~scwest/atmo/

Remind me of the statement that a lot of photographers made when the Digital era was just starting. Traditionalism and purism.
Remind me

Edwaste Senior Member • Posts: 1,036

I use both the sony A850 and a Panasonic G1.

I have no problem using a EVF or LCD screen to compose my images.
In fact, I prefer the live 100% LCD view over a OVF when working on a tripod.
The thought of a FF camera with LCD live view would be very tempting to me.

What I am hesitant about is the translucent mirror scheme. Perhaps if it was user replaceable when it gets too dirty to clean perfectly.

What will happen if salty air while shooting on a beach gets on the mirror? What will it do in extreme cold or humidity?

I know Sony designed this new system to get blazing frame rates and great video to compete with C&N. Sweep panorame would not be possible otherwise.

I'm just a little concerned over light loss and another surface between the lens and sensor to collect dirt.

Edwaste's gear list:Edwaste's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony Alpha a7 II +2 more
lunartown Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

Glenn wrote:

Yes, but a filter can easily be removed anytime and/or changed. It's an option.

Filters don't eat ~20% or more light.

Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,042

KEITH-C wrote:

Lucas_ wrote:

I know we like a good OVF, but the translucent mirror plus EVF system Sony has put in the A33/A55 seems very good in many ways. IMHO when the A77 is launched it will be at even a better level ! Before calling it "bad" we must see and try it!!

I'm not against optimism but there is an alternative way to what you have expressed - 'Before predicting a better level for the A77 we must see & try it ' ?
--

That's the same as "glass half full or half empty"... I like to enjoy life and usually be on the "half full" side!!

... Lucas
--

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony RX100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony a6000 Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7R II +40 more
kelstertx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,484

Agreed. Most people are saying the EVF on the A33/A55 is very nice and after trying it, they don't miss their OVFs. If it's as good as that, or better, and has the artificial horizons too, then I am looking forward to it. The A33/A55 is already a step up from A700 in several ways, but the A33/A55 isn't even billed as an A700 replacement. They are going to have to put something in the A7xx that betters the A55, or it won't be worth upgrading. I imagine it's going to be a pretty exciting camera.

-Kelly

Lucas_ wrote:

I know we like a good OVF, but the transluscent mirror plus EVF systemSony has put in the A33/A55 seems very good in many ways. IMHO when the A77 is lauched it will be at even a better level! Before calling it "bad" we must see and try it!!

... Lucas
--

kelstertx's gear list:kelstertx's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
OP Photostyle Contributing Member • Posts: 684

I wonder if the A7xx can even be equipped with a OVF together with the same A55 SLT mirror technology ? so if not, the A7xx will have a EVF which is with no doubt at least a little inferior to a good OVF, will all the A700 lovers be satisfied with it ?? and even the so called ghosting effect on the image, even very minor, it's there isn't it ? what can Sony do to get rid of that ?

kelstertx wrote:

Agreed. Most people are saying the EVF on the A33/A55 is very nice and after trying it, they don't miss their OVFs. If it's as good as that, or better, and has the artificial horizons too, then I am looking forward to it. The A33/A55 is already a step up from A700 in several ways, but the A33/A55 isn't even billed as an A700 replacement. They are going to have to put something in the A7xx that betters the A55, or it won't be worth upgrading. I imagine it's going to be a pretty exciting camera.

-Kelly

Lucas_ wrote:

... Lucas
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads