I had to put on sunglasses with the new Canon ad.

Started Sep 22, 2010 | Discussions
Polyglot92 Senior Member • Posts: 1,469
This is equivalent of a rape as compared to romance.

Very well put. That should get the message across to DPR. Many of us feel raped today. We're lucky the site is already being investigated...

TyroSnapper wrote:

Uluru wrote:

+1.

-- hide signature --

D5000 - Nikkor AF-S DX 18-105mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR - Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4 G
Canon PowerShot S3

MPiqul Regular Member • Posts: 252
As Red Light district in Amsterdam :-))))))))))))))

Ha,ha......

Earthlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,208
I have no problem with it. Nice for a change [nt]
-- hide signature --
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,149
Horrific - resize window to remove

sandy b wrote:

Seriously people. Does anyone really think this looks good?

Since DPReview is a fixed width, you can resize the browser window to rid yourself of the garish sides. But the top and bottom still glare at you as you scroll up or down.

Shame on DPReview for totally destroying the look of the site just for this ad. I hope they paid you a LOT of money for this.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Willgo Regular Member • Posts: 435
Re: uhm free - firefox . . . adblock

Yes
--
Paul

Willgo's gear list:Willgo's gear list
Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-M1
blue hour Regular Member • Posts: 150
Boys will be boys
Uluru Contributing Member • Posts: 749
That's the problem, actually

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

I hope they paid you a LOT of money for this.

I hope you understand that's the actual problem.

If everyone and everything has a price, then you end up living in a world of no inherent values. Everything is despicable for the right amount of $$, including your life and lives of your loved ones.

DPR and Amazon have shown us here they don't care about their neutrality as a review website, or about user's experience of it.
So, why would you care about them anymore?
You see where this ends up?

ThorKre Regular Member • Posts: 215
NoScript plug-in does a nice job too

Just block "doubleclick.net"

-- hide signature --

Regards
Thorsten

jpr2 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,521
re: yes? how??

Polyglot92 wrote:
Does it block the background, too?

Willgo wrote:

Yes

Paul, everything else - yes, but the jarring BG color still sticks fast

jpr2
--
~
street candids (non-interactive):
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157609618638319/
music and dance:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341265280/
B&W:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623306407882/
wildlife & macro:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157600341377106/
interactive street:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/qmusaget/sets/72157623181919323/

Comments and critique are always welcome!
~

Radu P Senior Member • Posts: 2,338
Re: NoScript plug-in does a nice job too

ThorKre wrote:

Just block "doubleclick.net"

Thanks, I did that, and works great in Opera. Couldn't stand that garbage, it is one of the very rare times when I block a whole ads site.

schmaud Contributing Member • Posts: 775
Re: I had to put on sunglasses with the new Canon ad.

dgrogers wrote:

For the same reason I don't pirate software.

Do you work for free?

slightly flawed logic... do you go to the toilette during commercial brakes in TV shows?

( disclaimer: I have no TV)

schmaud Contributing Member • Posts: 775
THis is canons not dpr´s fault

dpr is free, but it will show ads. Anyone in todays society should be able to distinguish content from advertisement.

It woudl only be a problem, if DPR would not have sold the same space for the same time to nikon, apple or Mc Donald. And there is no indication in this direction.

It is however a ad:
1. it is annoying. Attention catching, surprising, funny would have been ok.

2. It addressing the wrong audience. People here DO know that the featuers, after all we are tech junkies. It actually brings a cross an embarrassing point: Canon is late to dSLR with swivel displays.

what a wast of money.

cheers

Ralf

Kenny123 Forum Member • Posts: 88

I have no problem with advertising but this is way over the top. My Yahoo home page occasionally changes the background for advertisers but there is always an option to switch it off.

With this bright red background I find it very distracting to view DPR. Red is not a restful colour! The ad is actually counterproductive, it sends the wrong message about Canon (tacky) and once I've written this I'm off until it's gone. If a lot of people think the same then less traffic for DPR. On the positive side I might get some work done rather than procrastinating on the internet!

panos_m Senior Member • Posts: 1,456

dgrogers wrote:
For the same reason I don't pirate software.

Is it illegal or immoral to block ads?
--
Panagiotis

rfk101 New Member • Posts: 24

No and no.

Vivid1
Vivid1 Regular Member • Posts: 316
Re: This is not advertising

Uluru wrote:

No this is not advertising, and advertising is not about noticing.

YES it is!

Best of advertising is about communication, and here there's Z*E*R*O communication.

Sure is - you did not get the message about the 60d having a swivel lCD?

As is ALL advertising....

Can't help but smile at the response to this advertising. Seems to be mostly (if not all) from non-Canon brand fans (who would never buy one any way) and by bickering in threads like these just add more attention to the campaign. I'm not buying a 60d, but i can imagine this sort of aggressive advertising convincing many to do so.

Vivid1's gear list:Vivid1's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +14 more
ChipTz
ChipTz Forum Member • Posts: 54

Same here... it all looks too bad...

From the point of view of effectiveness, it is actually a good move from Canon, dpreview page views will go up during photokina, and canon seems now to sponsor dpreview, at least it is the only ad I see... however from dpreview point of view, or should I say from a users point ov view I am not so certain of this being positive as it seems now that dpreview is some sort of a canon branch... thus when I read a review I will have to think twice on what a result of a review really is (at least from the point of view of a new user).

Thi is not only a normal advertisment as that would be the banner on top and on the sidebar, what happens here is that there is a direct contact between dpreview webdesign and canon advertiser agency becaus also the background was changed which is not normally effected by ads... and also there is at least from where I see the site an exclusive canon pub...

In the end canon wins, dpreview wins and we users have to see this red thing during photokina I assume, we'll get usted, we might not like it but we'll live with it. The only think unknown is how it will affect dpreview perception of idoneity on their reviews and news.

Editing this just to add that I now see some discussion between don't likes due to non canon fans and likes due to canon fans... I'd love to see those reactions if within two days we have a yellow background

ChipTz's gear list:ChipTz's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +4 more
Radu P Senior Member • Posts: 2,338
Re: This is not advertising

Vivid1 wrote:

Can't help but smile at the response to this advertising. Seems to be mostly (if not all) from non-Canon brand fans (who would never buy one any way) and by bickering in threads like these just add more attention to the campaign. I'm not buying a 60d, but i can imagine this sort of aggressive advertising convincing many to do so.

I have 2 Canon P&S and two Canon DSLRs, and the 60mm macro lens. I spent over 1K bucks on Canon stuff so far, probably close to the cost of the 60D. And after seeing this garbage, I am much less likely to buy a Canon camera again. Good job, Canon!

ngap Senior Member • Posts: 1,860
Re: THis is canons not dpr´s fault: Rubbish

DPR decided it would accept this add and degradation of the site. So it is their fault.

See you after Photkina, when the add is gone and I can read the screen without distraction again.

SlrPhotographerNewbie Regular Member • Posts: 213
Way to bright I can't stand it!

Blue would have been better - a dark blue LOL Wont be coming back here quick till its gone!!! Will stay for now/today but I am sure tommorow when I think of the big red bright glaring awful hurting my eyes background I will probably visit other sites! LOL

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads