How Fast is Canon's Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2 II A ?

Started Sep 21, 2010 | Discussions
Brad Chatellier Regular Member • Posts: 210
How Fast is Canon's Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2 II A ?

Hello All,

I'm thinking of picking up Canon's newest WFT to use with my 1Ds3 and 1D4 for (un)tethered shooting. Wondering about how long it takes for a RAW shot to transfer to Lightroom on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

Brad Chatellier

Brad Chatellier's gear list:Brad Chatellier's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +24 more
OP Brad Chatellier Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: How Fast is Canon's Wireless File Transmitter WFT-E2 II A ?

Answered my own question. It's R.F.Slow. About 8 seconds to transmit a 22MP RAW into Lightroom. Faster using a USB cable.
--
Brad Chatellier

Brad Chatellier's gear list:Brad Chatellier's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +24 more
HSwolfs Regular Member • Posts: 117

i'd say 8 seconds isn't that bad for wireless transfer...

Remember that using the WFT, you can move around a bit better because there are no cables...

on the other hand, a USB-cable (or firewire I suppose in case of 1D), is a tad cheaper

Ken Phillips Forum Pro • Posts: 16,363
But you can't trip over a radio signal!

And how many shots per minute are you taking? Remember that the system will buffer your shots - you can still take bursts. The transfer is certainly fast enough for any AD ... they're gonna look at each shot for more than eight seconds (that is, if you do your job well!)
KP

-- hide signature --

Use the new site features to hide my homely face and banjo!!

http://www.ahomls.com/photo.htm
http://www.phillipsphotographer.com

'The urge to save humanity is always a false front for the urge to rule it.', H. L. Mencken

hunk
hunk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,295

Yep, but the JPG shows fullscreen within a second.

Brad Chatellier wrote:

Hello All,

I'm thinking of picking up Canon's newest WFT to use with my 1Ds3 and 1D4 for (un)tethered shooting. Wondering about how long it takes for a RAW shot to transfer to Lightroom on my MacBook Pro.

Thanks

hunk's gear list:hunk's gear list
Leica M9 Canon Extender EF 2x II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
Osiris Ani Senior Member • Posts: 1,126

Faster using a USB cable.

That pretty much goes without saying (with any level of basic understanding of the throughput difference between any current wireless protocol and USB 2.0), but that's hardly the point.

-- hide signature --

'Passion will make you crazy, but is there any other way to live?' —Kara Saun

http://www.oqlus.com/

Osiris Ani's gear list:Osiris Ani's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 28-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads