Has Pentax priced K-5 out of the market?

Started Sep 20, 2010 | Discussions
rwl408 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849
Has Pentax priced K-5 out of the market?

DPR seems to think so: "At a launch RRP of $1600 (body only) the K-5 is currently on a similar price level as its main competitors but we would expect the street price to go down sooner rather than later." We will know if DPR is correct in 6 months.

-- hide signature --

Rick

opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
Re: Has Pentax priced K-5 out of the market?

all i can say is that it's $400 more than the D7000.

now, if pentax marketing exists, they know the D7000 is a formidable contender to the k5.

sure each body has its own advantages over the other, but a $400 difference in street price?

pentax marketing have to think about that.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

narddogg81 Senior Member • Posts: 1,029

If its priced too high it will not sell well immediately and the price will come down to demand. Thank you Adam Smith. I need a few months to save up the scratch anyway, especially with that damn fuji x100 haunting my dreams
--
My PPG

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=7472316&subSubSection=0&language=EN

lol101 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,855

rwl408 wrote:

DPR seems to think so: "At a launch RRP of $1600 (body only) the K-5 is currently on a similar price level as its main competitors but we would expect the street price to go down sooner rather than later." We will know if DPR is correct in 6 months.

Maybe they did, but MSRP price isn't such a good indicator of real prices so we should wait to see what prices are when the firsts K-5 hit the shelves.

lol101's gear list:lol101's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +5 more
Raphael Mabo Senior Member • Posts: 1,164

The K-5 has a genuine magnesium body with cold protected weather sealing.

The Nikon has some magnesium reinforcements on a mainly plastic body with a much simpler "weather sealing" (no cold protection, and levels of protection is similar as Canon's earlier "environment protection" in the 40D).

So the K-5 is a more expensive body to produce. It has a professional build quality that is even better than the Nikon D300S.

Surely there must be some photographers out there that needs this level of quality.

Pentax could have lowered the build quality with the K-5 to match the price of the Nikon, they could have done it even with the K-7 to match the price of the D90.

But did buy the K-7 because they wanted this extra protection, extra high quality.

I am confident that not all photographers are idiots that can't understand the differencies in build quality. I am confident that there are photographers out there that understands that premium build quality, premium protection, premium weather sealing, does not come for free.

We also have to understand the package.

The K-5 is already being kitted with three weather resistant lenses (18-55, 50-200, 18-135) at a low cost. This is a clear advantage.

-- hide signature --
Dale108
Dale108 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,473
Re: Volume vs Profit/per unit

Possibly Hoya is willing to sell fewer bodies but at more profit per body. It takes no genius to see that big companies like Nikon and Canon have less cost/body due to 5-10X more volume production and sales. It is tough for Pentax to compete in this market.

That being said, if few bodies move in the first few months, the price will come down. I for one will be waiting about 6 months for this to happen. My K7 still works fine and I won't need an improved camera until next spring.

Dale
--
http://www.pbase.com/abundant108

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=272176&subSubSection=1787360&language=EN

Dale108's gear list:Dale108's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Olympus TG-5 Sony RX10 IV Pentax K-1 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
KL Matt Veteran Member • Posts: 5,949

I am confident that not all photographers are idiots that can't understand the differencies in build quality. I am confident that there are photographers out there that understands that premium build quality, premium protection, premium weather sealing, does not come for free.

And I am confident that there are also photographers who will realize this camera is not as pro-level performance-wise as its build quality. I'm thinking Nikon, Canon, and Sony are all doing a much better job of hitting the price/performance sweetspot for consumers in this segment. A mid-level dslr with pro-level pricing seems somewhat out of place in this day and age of yearly product updates. If you're going to give us a pro-level build quality, then why not give us the feature set to match.

-Matt

leopold Forum Pro • Posts: 14,083
NO, put the Nikon name...

or Canon name on it and it would sell for more than that!
It's a very capable camera and tough that can endure bad weather!

I like it so far.
--
Leopold
Pentax forever
http://smarcoux.zenfolio.com/

leopold's gear list:leopold's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
Pacerr Senior Member • Posts: 1,672

Pentax has always built a relatively durable body. Many of us have a shelf full of cameras from the '60's through the '80's that still function as they did the day we got 'em. I'm sure the K5 can join the ranks of quality Pentax bodies too.

What concerns me is that were protecting a sensitive electronic appliance that's dependent on software inside a $1000+ bank vault. I'd be much more impressed if there was a relatively inexpensive plug-n-ply electronic module to augment the quality and longevity of the casing.

Maybe there's gonna be a future market for "dead" DSLR bodies as indestructible flower pots?

I'll be lookin' for the first flower macros with THAT theme now!

H2

TheLastMan Regular Member • Posts: 419

rwl408 wrote:

In the UK the listed price for the K-5 (body) is £1,200. The differential with the Nkon D7000 listed at £1,100 and the K-7 at £700 (street) makes no sense. As the DPR preview points out, apart from the new sensor, the differences with the K-7 are very minor. When the K-7 first came out its list price was also £1,200, but the step up from the K20 was much, much more significant (alloy body, movie mode, HDR, focus assist light, 77 segment meter, 3" LCD etc.)

If they are to attract buyers other than those already heavily committed to the Pentax brand through large lens collections, they will need to undercut Nikon by at least 10% and be a lot closer to the street price of the K-7.

If the Nikon D7000 settles at a street price of £1,000 around Christmas time, then the K-5 needs to be at £900 or so if they want to sell in any volume. And I am sure that is where it will be. So if I were in the market with that kind of cash I would hang onto it for the time being. I reckon you could save yourself about £300 if you can wait three months!

TheLastMan's gear list:TheLastMan's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
janneman02 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,733
Body only, too soon to tell

we won't know if and when prices drop.

K-5 and 18-135 WR in a kit. Nope, not by a long shot....

-- hide signature --

The difference between genius and LBA is that genius has its
limits.

• Janneman ( adaptation of the Kings quote from Albert Einstein)

opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404

Raphael Mabo wrote:

The K-5 has a genuine magnesium body with cold protected weather sealing.

The Nikon has some magnesium reinforcements on a mainly plastic body with a much simpler "weather sealing" (no cold protection, and levels of protection is similar as Canon's earlier "environment protection" in the 40D).

So the K-5 is a more expensive body to produce. It has a professional build quality that is even better than the Nikon D300S.

Surely there must be some photographers out there that needs this level of quality.

Pentax could have lowered the build quality with the K-5 to match the price of the Nikon, they could have done it even with the K-7 to match the price of the D90.

But did buy the K-7 because they wanted this extra protection, extra high quality.

We also have to understand the package.

The K-5 is already being kitted with three weather resistant lenses (18-55, 50-200, 18-135) at a low cost. This is a clear advantage.

yes, ralph. we who view these forums know that, but do most people do or care?

all they see is magAlloy. good. $400 - bad

remember there is no 1 big compelling feature in the k5 that makes it standout in the market.

again, we who know SR is great, but do most folks know or care?
77 seals vs. partially sealed? how many will shoot in the pouring rain.

if pentax wants to increase its market share, the k5 is formidable, but not at this suggested street price $1600.

and gosh, pentax marketing really @#%$@#$ up with this release. so many inconsistencies, different specs on different sites.

and that is the bottom line.

-- hide signature --

'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 6,759
Shocking truth

Raphael Mabo wrote:

It has a professional build quality that is even better than the Nikon D300S.

D300s owns any Pentax DSLRs on built quality.

I am confident that not all photographers are idiots that can't understand the differencies in build quality.

This I agree. Words are cheap, people will see.
--
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

1k should sell

lol101 wrote:

Maybe they did, but MSRP price isn't such a good indicator of real prices so we should wait to see what prices are when the firsts K-5 hit the shelves.

Eventually $800 in a year.
--

jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636

$1600 USD means $2100 CDN even though the difference in our dollars is moot. Pentax K7 is still $400 more in Canada than the USA so I see Zero sales here for this camera. Some nice features but like the Kr, way overpriced here. I pass.

My isTds has been in minus 20 celcius and colder weather winter camping, yet the K5 is rated at -10. 80,000 cycles on my camera and still making photos that look great. Good luck Pentax you are really going to need it!

Dress up an average camera in metal shells

then you have a high-end product to compete. The same way Limited lenses are. Not pretty, but it works as most consumers care little on actual substance. People feel good already by owning & bragging, until next year.
--

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Serious? Does this look mainly plastic to you?

The d7000 will have a similar level of sealing as the d300, I admit not as good as the Pentax, but very good indeed, and MUCH better than the canon you are refering too.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imaging/lineup/digitalcamera/slr/d7000/features03.htm#f01

The Pentax is a great looking camera, and specs well with any body made. It stands fine on its own, without the misinformation.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 +14 more
jeffster_ca Contributing Member • Posts: 636
Re: 1k should sell

Never happen in Canada. Extortionist here still have the K7 at $1249 body only,

Edvinas Senior Member • Posts: 2,812
I'm afraid they did...

K-5 is basically K-7 with some evolutionary improvements. There's nothing radically new (and more expensive) in K-5 than in K-7. Yes, sensor is new, but it is electronics, it evolves all the time, it gets better and gets cheaper. I doubt that new Sony sensor costs more than K-7 sensor did (Nikon D7000 proves it). Therefore I can't justify RRP difference between K-5 and K-7. New generation of consumer electronics should not be priced higher than previous generation.

-- hide signature --

Edvinas

Edvinas's gear list:Edvinas's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +5 more
Northernshooter New Member • Posts: 21

jeffster_ca wrote:

$1600 USD means $2100 CDN even though the difference in our dollars is moot. Pentax K7 is still $400 more in Canada than the USA so I see Zero sales here for this camera. Some nice features but like the Kr, way overpriced here. I pass.

My isTds has been in minus 20 celcius and colder weather winter camping, yet the K5 is rated at -10. 80,000 cycles on my camera and still making photos that look great. Good luck Pentax you are really going to need it!

Apparently,the Canadian MSRP is $1599

http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/PentaxK5FlagshipDSLRComingThisOctober.html

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads