NEX 5 w/ Kipon and CV 50mm Nokton at f/1.1

Started Sep 18, 2010 | Discussions
seattlesteve
seattlesteve Regular Member • Posts: 385
NEX 5 w/ Kipon and CV 50mm Nokton at f/1.1

I've been playing around with the CV 50mm Nokton on the NEX 5 for a couple weeks now and have really enjoyed both the lens and the NEX body. I using the relatively inexpensive Kipon adapter. The adapter appears well made and allows for focus at infinity.

Using the lens in bright sunshine at f/1.1 is not always possible because of the 1/4000th limit unless you are using ND filter. Focus can be difficult at f/1.1 since the DOF is so thin, but that's where 7X and 14X zoom come in handy. Unless you're zone focusing shooting moving objects is tough.

All in all, for the price, it's unbeatable. Even wide open I'm surprised at the sharpness and contrast in the photos. Obviously, with some careful PP they start to really shine.

A few RAW samples all shot wide open at f/1.1 and unprocessed.

-- hide signature --
 seattlesteve's gear list:seattlesteve's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX1R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
gocchin Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: NEX 5 w/ Kipon and CV 50mm Nokton at f/1.1

I currently have Nokton 40mm f1.4 and a Summicron 50/2 but I was seriously considering this lens.

How's the weight and balance on the Nex-5?

Pics look great!

seattlesteve
OP seattlesteve Regular Member • Posts: 385

Thanks gocchin. As you might expect, the balance isn't great. It is more of a case of a camera being attached to a lens than a lens being attached to a camera (if that makes sense). The Nokton just has so much more bulk.

I've used my 50mm Summicron as well, and like you've probably noticed it's fairly well balanced. As much as I'd like to have the 50 Lux, it's just not going to happen anytime soon so the Nokton was the next best bet. IIRC the 40mm Nokton is a very compact lens.

Knowing that you have the 40mm Nokton and the 50mm Cron I'm guessing that you probably have an M-Body of some sort. As a side note, the 50mm Nokton is beautiful on the M8.

Here are a couple photos with the Nokton attached.

gocchin wrote:

I currently have Nokton 40mm f1.4 and a Summicron 50/2 but I was seriously considering this lens.

How's the weight and balance on the Nex-5?

Pics look great!

-- hide signature --
seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,237

Pics look great!

+1 to that. Looks like that lens can really deliver on the NEX.

Can't tell the sharpness from these small samples, but the bokeh looks really nice.

-- hide signature --

A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R +21 more
seattlesteve

Thanks seachicken2000. Sharpness wise I'd say it's very good considering they are shot wide open on such a fast lens. If I were only going for sharpness I'd use the 50mm Summicron, but considering this lens is almost 2 stops faster I am VERY satisfied, especially with the bokeh. Until I can buy the new f/.95 Noctilux I'll just have to live with this Nokton.

seachicken2000 wrote:

Pics look great!

+1 to that. Looks like that lens can really deliver on the NEX.

Can't tell the sharpness from these small samples, but the bokeh looks really nice.

-- hide signature --
eyeheartny Forum Member • Posts: 82

I'm SO going to buy this lens...it just looks like it gives fantastic results on the NEX. Just to assuage my anxiety about this, is this setup still going to be compact and fairly unobtrusive? I am coming from a dSLR, so I know this will be smaller, but I don't have a way to contextualize how big this setup is. With the Nokton 50/1.1, will the camera and lens still feel super-small and compact?

seattlesteve

I got a message from someone about the relative size of this body/lens combo so I thought I'd post it here to share.

Another thought about using this lens on an NEX body is how much fun it is to shoot video at f/1.1. Sometimes critically sharp focus is hard to achieve because of the ultra shallow DOF, but when you do nail it the results are special.

The biggest drawback is the purple fringing you get when shooting wide open. A lot of this can be cured in Lightroom, but it's still visible.

-- hide signature --
Masterbrew Regular Member • Posts: 497

Fun comparison pics. Seeing it in your hand and next to the iphone, it doesn't look that big actually. How much does it weigh?

Gregory Kemp Contributing Member • Posts: 668

Nice, also thanks for the original post showing the Nokton on nex! Eventually, I would like to get a Leica adapter and some Voigtlander lenses for my NEX, but I've got plenty of gear to keep me shooting for a long time. Interesting to see the NEX next to the Leica M8. I think the NEX looks a lot cooler than the Leica, but that is a personal preference for me. I prefer modern cameras that look modern rather than the retro look of Leica.

-- hide signature --
seattlesteve

Thanks Masterbrew.

The lens has the bulk of the weight, about 16oz (450g).

The body/lens combo is: 1lb10oz (760g). It's not too bad. I guess it's the price that you have to pay for fast glass.

Masterbrew wrote:

Fun comparison pics. Seeing it in your hand and next to the iphone, it doesn't look that big actually. How much does it weigh?

-- hide signature --
eyeheartny Forum Member • Posts: 82

These are fantastic and VERY helpful! Thanks so much for posting them. The iPhone pics are especially helpful.

sWoke Junior Member • Posts: 36

Indeed, iPhone pics are very useful. I was kinda
afraid about the size of the combination

• compacity is a top criteria - and it looks

very decent.
This lens is a killer, i am definitely
gonna get one and shoot Paris's streets.
I wish you posted snaps in low light condition,
That's the raison d' être of this lens. Bokeh might be
too soft in bright condition for my taste but i
can deal with that ..

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads