kevinschoenmakers Contributing Member • Posts: 637
K-5 in kit with DA 18-135mm WR + European prices

As was found on http://www.kosfeld24.de (search for pentax k-5):

Pentax K-5 Body - €1399,-
Pentax K-5 + 18-55WR - 1449,-
Pentax K-5 + 18-135WR - 1849,-

AlainCo Regular Member • Posts: 167
Re: K-5 in kit with DA 18-135mm WR + European prices

Mmm, that puts the DA 18-135 at 450€ MSRP...very tempting...

Great find, BTW

Cheers,

AlainCo
--
Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

AlainCo's gear list:AlainCo's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 +13 more
OP kevinschoenmakers Contributing Member • Posts: 637

Credits go to a German user over at 'the other forum'.
--
http://www.kevinschoenmakers.nl

Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,346
DA 18-135mm WR - more than just slow zoom?

AlainCo wrote:

Mmm, that puts the DA 18-135 at 450€ MSRP...very tempting...

yep. So - DA 18-135 WR is better to be a pretty good lens (for 450€). Even it's WR.

For example canon 60d body only is 1149€, but with 18-135IS lens it's 1399€...

Great find, BTW

Cheers,

AlainCo
--
Beauty is in the eye of the photographer

-- hide signature --

• Ari Aikomus -

'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

CSPronken Senior Member • Posts: 1,648
I wonder if Pentax exchanged lens designs with Nikon

I wonder if Pentax exchanged lens designs with Nikon, the 55-300mm for Nikon and the 18-135mm for Pentax.

-- hide signature --

http://flickr.com/photos/56983515@N00/

http://pentaxlensrange.blogspot.com/2010/04/pentax-is-still-missing-few-lenses-to.html
Current cam: K10D, TZ1
Wish cams: LX5, EX-1, S90 or 4/3 pocket cam with fixed stabilized zoom lens.
Current lens: 18-55mm F3.5-5.6, 50mm F1.4, Sigma 105mm F2.8 macro

Wish lens: 16-90mm F3.5-5.6 or 17-90mm F3.2-4.5, a 70-300mm F3.2-4.5, usable quality with 1.4TC, 60mm F2 macro, 150mm F2.8 macro.

steelski Senior Member • Posts: 2,555

So, taking a guess,
Its 1400 in Central Europe,

From that the US gets it slightly cheaper at 1700 and the UK will get it at 1200/1100 pounds.
Whichever way you put it, its more expensive than the K-7, by about 20-30%

I do have a feeling that this is really Launch price only. I can see it at closer to 1200 US and 800 UK after the holidays. Europe could get it for 900/1000 Euros

richardday Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972
Re: I wonder if Pentax exchanged lens designs with Nikon

CSPronken wrote:

I wonder if Pentax exchanged lens designs with Nikon, the 55-300mm for Nikon and the 18-135mm for Pentax.

It would seem not. I thought the same as well, until I looked at the optical designs, they are quite different.

DA 55-300

AF-S 55-300

-- hide signature --

Richard Day - 'Carpe Diem!'
Gloucester UK

yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973
Re: I wonder if Pentax exchanged lens designs with Nikon

CSPronken wrote:

it's new design of Tokina 16.5-135 made under Pentax's patent

richardplondon
richardplondon Forum Pro • Posts: 10,892

steelski wrote:

I do have a feeling that this is really Launch price only. I can see it at closer to 1200 US and 800 UK after the holidays. Europe could get it for 900/1000 Euros

Not so much so fast, IMO - since it has taken all this time, plus the threat of a replacement model, before the K-7 even broke the £700 barrier in the UK.

I feel (and fear) they may leave the K-7 price more or less alone for now, and sell the K-5 at a higher price in consequence, on added features in relation to that.

I'd love the K-7 to plummet in price, but Pentax have models below to protect too, so I am not holding my breath.

RP

richardplondon's gear list:richardplondon's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +7 more
Brett St Pierre
Brett St Pierre Veteran Member • Posts: 7,025

richardplondon wrote:

steelski wrote:

Not so much so fast, IMO - since it has taken all this time, plus the threat of a replacement model, before the K-7 even broke the £700 barrier in the UK.

I feel (and fear) they may leave the K-7 price more or less alone for now, and sell the K-5 at a higher price in consequence, on added features in relation to that.

I'd love the K-7 to plummet in price, but Pentax have models below to protect too, so I am not holding my breath.

Even leaving aside the specs that are knocking around for the K-5, it isn't hard to see Pentax aspiring to a higher price/higher margin model. For their future they need it. A ready made market with mid-range users ready to step up, a broader range of product to make the marque more attractive overall as a system and bigger margins to fund development and put some health into the bottom line. If the spec really ends up well above the K-7 then they might really continue to offer the K-7 and maintain close to current pricing. Time will tell but inevitably prices will soon fall across the board....

-- hide signature --

Brett
http://www.pbase.com/shreder

The Journey is the Thing

Brett St Pierre's gear list:Brett St Pierre's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +11 more
DrugaRunda Senior Member • Posts: 2,741

£500 more and you are at D700 level...

tricky, tricky... I guess the size is the main selling point here.
--
common sense is anything but common

pocoman Contributing Member • Posts: 509
Read it and weep...
hanhait Senior Member • Posts: 1,273

At the dpreview announcement page it says US$ 800 body-only !?

hanhait's gear list:hanhait's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro +9 more
steelski Senior Member • Posts: 2,555

Wrong camera,
We are talking about the K-5 which will be announced on the 20th ish.
The K-r is what your thinking of.

hanhait wrote:

At the dpreview announcement page it says US$ 800 body-only !?

ropen Senior Member • Posts: 1,479
Re: Read it and weep...

It has nothing to do at all with this Tokina like ogl (yana36 on this forum) has nothing to do with knowledge in general and inside information in particular.

This Pentax lens will have all the trademarks of Pentax (compact build, not so large filter size) and every feature we are used to for this class of lenses (quick shift, SP coatings). And yes it will have a metal mount :P!

This could be another boost for K-5 sales because the camera+this lens will make a very compact/light combo with weather protection.

Radu

pocoman wrote:

http://www.lenstip.com/index.php?test=obiektywu&test_ob=222

Hoping it's not the same lens.

ropen's gear list:ropen's gear list
Pentax K-3
OP kevinschoenmakers Contributing Member • Posts: 637

Ogl often states whatever he writes as fact, I agree. However, in this case I think it's at least plausible that this Tokina lens (which apparently is based on a Pentax patent) is the basis for the upcoming DA18-135WR.
--

ropen Senior Member • Posts: 1,479

When you'll see the optical formula you'll understand why I wrote the message above. Those two lenses have nothing in common.

Radu

kevinschoenmakers wrote:

Ogl often states whatever he writes as fact, I agree. However, in this case I think it's at least plausible that this Tokina lens (which apparently is based on a Pentax patent) is the basis for the upcoming DA18-135WR.
--

ropen's gear list:ropen's gear list
Pentax K-3
godfrog Senior Member • Posts: 1,463

If the new lens is based on the Tokina 16.5-135 then it looks like it will be a decent performer at F8, but wide open it is simply atrociously bad. Lenstip.com has a review of the Tokina lens.

The Tokina lens apparently has some issue with not stopping down to the selected aperture, but Id assume Pentax to have fixed that.

Possibly Pentax adjusted the design, sacrificing some wide angle to improve wide open performance. Or it is simply a new lens design

-- hide signature --
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 39,349

Pentax owns the patent for the Tokina, that suggests they designed it for them, we all agree it pretty bad and my guess is they would likely have re-designed it from scratch possibly adding the new FLD glass that was designed by Hoya and Sigma working together
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

yana36 Contributing Member • Posts: 973

godfrog wrote:

If the new lens is based on the Tokina 16.5-135 then it looks like it will be a decent performer at F8, but wide open it is simply atrociously bad. Lenstip.com has a review of the Tokina lens.

This site tests problem lens very often.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads