K7 front dial and shutter speed

Started Sep 10, 2010 | Discussions
Ed Woodson
Ed Woodson Contributing Member • Posts: 797
K7 front dial and shutter speed

I got my K7 about two months ago. I've suspected there was a problem somewhere as my shutter speed would change and leave me wondering if I had hit the dial somehow.

Today, while using the K7 in in"M" in my studio, I took a shot with flash and it worked. About 10 seconds later, I squeezed of another. No flash. when I looked at the LCD, shutter speed showed 3000. When I tried to move the wheel to change it back, it went to 1500, then 8000, then 750 and back to 3000. I guess I've either got a defective front dial or a defective something (not including between my ears), somewhere.

It does the same thing in Tv and Program, so I found.

Anyone else had this issue/problem?

Ed
--
http://www.edwoodsonphotography.com
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/edwoodson

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137
Re: K7 front dial and shutter speed

Ed Woodson wrote:

I got my K7 about two months ago. I've suspected there was a problem somewhere as my shutter speed would change and leave me wondering if I had hit the dial somehow.

Today, while using the K7 in in"M" in my studio, I took a shot with flash and it worked. About 10 seconds later, I squeezed of another. No flash. when I looked at the LCD, shutter speed showed 3000. When I tried to move the wheel to change it back, it went to 1500, then 8000, then 750 and back to 3000. I guess I've either got a defective front dial or a defective something (not including between my ears), somewhere.

I bet you have the camera in bracketing mode. It will adjust the shutter speed automatically for you.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ed Woodson
OP Ed Woodson Contributing Member • Posts: 797

viking79 wrote:

Ed Woodson wrote:

I bet you have the camera in bracketing mode. It will adjust the shutter speed automatically for you.

Eric

No, I thought I might have a strange setting somewhere. I did a "reset" on the camera to take it back to defaults. It still did the same thing.

Even if I did have it in bracketing mode. The shutter speed wouldn't jump from 1/750 to 1/3000 or 1/125 to 1/6000

I'm going to ship it off for repair on Monday. Thank goodness I kept my K20D for a backup

Frederick Stewart Senior Member • Posts: 1,125

Defective/erratic behavior of dial wheels,have been reported before.mine is the front one also.I have a work around,just apply a bit of upward or downward pressure while turning and use the dial for less used function.I used to have it set for ISO,bad idea,now for aperture,just in case.good to have the option of 2 wheels two choose from.Living in Jamaica,sending back to Pentax,not feasible.My problem started not long after i got the camera.

The dials on the K10/20D are superior with better more positive feel,ones on K7 feel fragile and cheap in operation.

Cheers !

brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
a possible fix...

Some edial problems have been reported and corrected on the Pentax *istDS over the years but I have not read of anyone trying the same fix for any of the other Pentax DSLR's. It might be worth a try on your K-7.

Here is the *istDS fix:

See the thread linked to below. The first reply by Alan Chan (wlachan) solved my *istDS intermittant e-dial (scroll wheel) problem for me back in July of 2007.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=24104415

The latest *istDS that was "fixed" was just a week ago.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=36241276

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,137

Ed Woodson wrote:

viking79 wrote:

Ed Woodson wrote:

Eric

No, I thought I might have a strange setting somewhere. I did a "reset" on the camera to take it back to defaults. It still did the same thing.

Even if I did have it in bracketing mode. The shutter speed wouldn't jump from 1/750 to 1/3000 or 1/125 to 1/6000

Bracketing in manual does change the shutter between shots. For example if you have a setting of f/4, 1/250 and shoot a bracket of -1, 0, +1, depending on your camera settings one shot will be 1/250, the next 1/125, and the next 1/500. This can mess with your head as you wonder why the shutter speed is changing.

However, Reading your statement again, more carefully, it does sound like you have a glitchy wheel or something if it has flaky shutter speed when you rotate the wheel.

I'm going to ship it off for repair on Monday. Thank goodness I kept my K20D for a backup

Yeah, always good to keep a backup, especially while getting familiar with new gear.

Eric

-- hide signature --

I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Ed Woodson
OP Ed Woodson Contributing Member • Posts: 797
Re: a possible fix...

Thanks Ron,I considered that fix for a while this afternoon. If my camera body were not less than three months old I would give this a try. However, I think that the wheel may defective. I'm going to go ahead and send it to CRJ in Duluth, GA on Monday. I'll see how it shakes out when I get it back in about 3 weeks, or so.

I think I'm going to pick up an extra K20D to back up my back up.

Thanks

Ed
--
http://www.edwoodsonphotography.com
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/edwoodson

bluehighwayman Regular Member • Posts: 379

Just got a brand new K7 and the front dial wasn't working and decided to risk the fix. It works very well although I may still exchange the camera just wanted to be able to use over the next few days.

bluehighwayman's gear list:bluehighwayman's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +2 more
ricreis New Member • Posts: 4

Just to be clear, where exactly do you apply the contact cleaner in this fix?

Directly in the wheel, or does it take any disassembly?

ricreis wrote:

Just to be clear, where exactly do you apply the contact cleaner in this fix?

Directly in the wheel, or does it take any disassembly?

On my *istDS, I turned the camera upside down and applied a small drop in the area between the wheel and the body. Then I just worked the wheel by spinning it a few times.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

dcdrums Forum Member • Posts: 80

Curious, wouldn't the weather seal prevent the liquid from getting in to where it needs to go, to fix the problem? I think I might have the same issue with my K7, but have learned to deal with it for the time being.

dcdrums's gear list:dcdrums's gear list
Pentax K-5 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +4 more

That's exactly my doubt.

bluehighwayman fixed his K-7.

bluehighwayman fixed his K-7. See his previous post.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Slight problem...

I applied a small drop of contact cleaner on the wheel, with the camera upside down and without battery. Turned it a few times, waited about half an hour, then turned it on again.

The result was that now, regardless of turning the wheel left or right, it will only change things in one direction. For example, if I use it to browse the menus, it will only shift left to right, never right to left, regardless of turning the wheel left or right.

It also means that I have the exposure locked in 1/8000, without any means to increase it.

Any ideas, or should I start contacting pentax service?

bricko Regular Member • Posts: 296

Ive had to send my K7 back for this issue also. The edial became erratic and generated completely random shutter speeds etc. turn one click and it would jump from 250 to 3000 etc.

Talked to tech at the CRIS and he said its a common problem and they put on some type of conductive lubricant to fix it. Seems the contacts in the potentiometer need to make contact and at times it gets dry or was not lubricated with the proper amount of conductive lube to start with.

But its worked for over a year now after their fix.

I've just got word from the vendor that it was tested and apparently it was actually defective. I'll be getting a replacement in a few days.

FosterP New Member • Posts: 1

bricko wrote:

Ive had to send my K7 back for this issue also. The edial became erratic and generated completely random shutter speeds etc. turn one click and it would jump from 250 to 3000 etc.

Talked to tech at the CRIS and he said its a common problem and they put on some type of conductive lubricant to fix it. Seems the contacts in the potentiometer need to make contact and at times it gets dry or was not lubricated with the proper amount of conductive lube to start with.

But its worked for over a year now after their fix.

I just came across this thread while trying to fix the same problem: random, erratic speeds while working the SS dial. My K 7 had only 500 actuations when I bought it a year ago. Hadn't used it much, but when I hauled it out I had this shutter speed dial problem. On another forum, someone with the same problem on his K7 ran his hand back and forth across the SS dial, making it turn very quickly. I tried it for about a minute, and that fixed it! He said he's snapped over 10k pics with his since the fix, so I'm hopeful.

FosterP

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads