Just tried Silky Pix 4.0 (non Pro) on DP2 and....

Started Sep 9, 2010 | Discussions
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 43,479
Just tried Silky Pix 4.0 (non Pro) on DP2 and....

Wow, I can shoot ISO 1600+ in B&W with it. It doesn't do the destructive noise reduction of SPP4.x after you do the right settings, and seems like even color is somewhat doable (just developed an ISO 3200 shot no less in color, F4.0, 1/80th sec.).

-- hide signature --

Raist3d (Photographer & Tools/Systems/Gui Games Developer)
Andreas Feininger (1906-1999) 'Photographers — idiots, of which there are
so many — say, “Oh, if only I had a Nikon or a Leica, I could make great
photographs.” That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard in my life. It’s
nothing but a matter of seeing, and thinking, and interest. That’s what
makes a good photograph.'

Radu P Senior Member • Posts: 2,338
Re: Just tried Silky Pix 4.0 (non Pro) on DP2 and....

Samples of SPP and Silky Pix photos?

JohnLindroth Senior Member • Posts: 2,906

I had the same experience. I really liked the control it provides over noise and sharpness settings. If they had supported SD9 files, they would have gotten some of my money...
-John

Raist3d wrote:

Wow, I can shoot ISO 1600+ in B&W with it. It doesn't do the destructive noise reduction of SPP4.x after you do the right settings, and seems like even color is somewhat doable (just developed an ISO 3200 shot no less in color, F4.0, 1/80th sec.).

-- hide signature --

http://www.johnlindroth.com/gallery/
john@johnlindroth.com

My future starts when I wake up every morning ...
Every day I find something creative to do with my life.
--Miles Davis

JohnLindroth's gear list:JohnLindroth's gear list
FinePix XP70 Sigma SD9 Fujifilm X-E1 Sigma sd Quattro
Bodoh Contributing Member • Posts: 552

Any idea when they'll add support for DP2s? Last time I checked they didn't support it. I wrote to them at that time, they said the couldn't say when.
--
http://www.pbase.com/knobby

Bodoh's gear list:Bodoh's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN
exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263

Bodoh wrote:

Any idea when they'll add support for DP2s? Last time I checked they didn't support it. I wrote to them at that time, they said the couldn't say when.

I guess all developers were on summer vacation and development was slowed... for example Panasonic LX5 has a version SilkyPix as its OEM raw converter, yet the general version of SilkyPix does not support it yet...

they have a blog, so if you know japanese you can post a question there - http://silkypix.exblog.jp/

PS: correction - actually Japanese version that supports LX5 was released very recently - 4.x.37

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/japanese/

-- hide signature --

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
pacoSP Junior Member • Posts: 36
Green blotches: Silky Pix and others...

I had the chance to use Silkypix Studio Pro and I was surprised with the result. Same happened with SPP 4.1 but for different reasons.

I did an unscientific test comparing all the programs I had available in order to check the best shadows handling.

The picture used is from my DP2 (ISO 400, 1/10, f2.8) and has some areas underexposed.

This:

Next are the same upper right area cropped showing the diferent programs results. Minimun adjustements done in all the cases, default options used mainly with no other tweaks than white balance (tried to be similar) and the adition of some exposure (Silkypix) or sharpness (LR).

SPP 3.5.2

SPP 4.1

LR 2.5

Silkypix DSP 4.1.34.0

The results with Silkypix default options (just open the raw) are almost neutral, only very mild green blotches remain in the more lighted area.

SPP 4.1 has the more harsh green blotches. Updated DP2 firmware to the last release (by the case) with no change. I am stuck to SPP 3.5 because this.

Regards

exdeejjjaaaa
exdeejjjaaaa Veteran Member • Posts: 8,263
Re: Green blotches: Silky Pix and others...

SilkyPix is quite good in dealing with green/yellow color blotches using its "neat noise" slider

-- hide signature --

exdeejjjaaaa's gear list:exdeejjjaaaa's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Phase One Capture One Pro +25 more
allendelasaguas Regular Member • Posts: 396
Re: Just tried Silky Pix 4.0 (non Pro) on DP2 and.... - My approach...

Hi there.

I was more interested in recovering badly exposed images, and this was the result.
http://allendelasaguas.zenfolio.com/p487565494
Nothing scientific intended.
Regards.
---------------------------------
Nacho Reina-Aguirre
http://allendelasaguas.zenfolio.com/

allendelasaguas's gear list:allendelasaguas's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2s Fujifilm FinePix S3 Pro Sigma SD9 Sigma SD14 +3 more
tilman Regular Member • Posts: 198

pacoSP wrote:

The results with Silkypix default options (just open the raw) are almost neutral, only very mild green blotches remain in the more lighted area.

SPP 4.1 has the more harsh green blotches. Updated DP2 firmware to the last release (by the case) with no change. I am stuck to SPP 3.5 because this.

Interesting comparison. Thanks for sharing!

Have you tried the different noise reduction settings in SPP4.1? Did changing them make any difference with the green blotches in SPP4.1?

cheers,
Tilman

pacoSP Junior Member • Posts: 36

A good observation, I didn't check : - )
Here is the result.

SPP 4.1 with chroma noise reduction maximum adjustment

Only chroma applied because the second control, "Luminancia" in Spanish, had no effect.

Better than SPP3.5.2, which lacks this possibility. In any case is not a perfect tool as can be seen in the left down corner of the picture:

Now the same corner with the default Silkypix adjustement. No chroma noise reduction applied.

So just regarding for the green blotches issue SPP4.1 seems to me now better than SPP3.5.2 and Silkypix better than both. I have to say that Silkypix is far more complex to learn and in some cases I prefer the SPP yield in IQ terms.

SPP has something difficult to explain that makes some images looks better. Just a subjective feeling.

Regards

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads