Bought the Tagotech AF-confirm chip for M43

Started Sep 8, 2010 | Discussions
Peter Zoltan Regular Member • Posts: 138
Bought the Tagotech AF-confirm chip for M43

The chip is very tiny and the decription on Tagotech is so-so - it took about 30 minutes yesterday to glue the chip to the adapter and after that I waited until today for the glue to dry...

To my surprise my E-P1 communicated with the ship immediately and reported F2.8 and 50mm.

I put F1.7 on my Minolta MC 55mm, selected point focus mode, zoomed in to 10x magnification, half-pressed the shutter release and it kind of worked!

I have just tried it for an half-hour or so and about 50% of the time the camera does not beep, I don't know why yet - but 50% of the time it does!

When turning the focus ring to slow, the green AF-confirmation starts to blink and when turning to fast you will be past the focus point when you have reacted to the beep. Maybe it is just a matter of practice? I don't know - I believe you can get more precice focus when you focus manually slowly...

If you have de-selected ReleasePriority on the camera you can turn the focus ring rather quickly while full-pressing the shutter button and the camera will automatically take the picture when in focus! It really works and is kinda cool. But shutter speed should be faster than 1/100 sec otherwise images will get to blurred.

I will have to try this thing out more. I would be happy if anone is willing to share some tips for use with this little thing.

sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,726
Re: Sweet! I may order one!

That is awesome! I may have to get one of these for my GF1. I don't find it too difficult to manually focus, but it sure would speed things up when I need to focus quickly or use the release priority trick!

Actually...what I would be most excited about would be the focal length and aperture settings to show up in my EXIF data.

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus OM-D E-M5 +6 more
kau New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Bought the Tagotech AF-confirm chip for M43

Interesting, please tell us more about this AF chip. How easy was it to glue to adapter? This is the first I know this chip exist. When can I buy one in US?

hansaus32 New Member • Posts: 12
Re: Bought the Tagotech AF-confirm chip for M43
thinkfat Senior Member • Posts: 1,185
Already tested and discussed, with mixed results

Before anybody jumps on the ship in haste, it has been tested and discussed here already.

It really only seems to work (somewhat) with Olympus PEN cameras, and possibly with the GF-1 (though that is not confirmed). I tested it on the GH1, G1 and G2 and it does not work.

To sum up the collective experience:

• the programming procedure is clumsy and needs to be redone whenever you change the lens or aperture, otherwise the EXIF information is incorrect

• incorrectly programmed focal length might affect IBIS on PENs

• incorrectly programmed aperture affects metering, leading to incorrectly exposed photos

• the AF-confirm is difficult to operate, focus to fast and you overshoot, focus too slow and it does not work.

Overall it was found that it's hardly worth the money and effort to assemble it.

-- hide signature --

Everybody loves gadgets, until they try to make them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/thinkfat
http://thinkfat.blogspot.com

thinkfat's gear list:thinkfat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +12 more
novice7 Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: Already tested and discussed, with mixed results

thinkfat wrote:

Before anybody jumps on the ship in haste, it has been tested and discussed here already.

It really only seems to work (somewhat) with Olympus PEN cameras, and possibly with the GF-1 (though that is not confirmed). I tested it on the GH1, G1 and G2 and it does not work.

To sum up the collective experience:

• the programming procedure is clumsy and needs to be redone whenever you change the lens or aperture, otherwise the EXIF information is incorrect

• incorrectly programmed focal length might affect IBIS on PENs

• incorrectly programmed aperture affects metering, leading to incorrectly exposed photos

• the AF-confirm is difficult to operate, focus to fast and you overshoot, focus too slow and it does not work.

When I tried it, the metering worked indoor, but outdoor, it was completely wonky: severely underexposure.

Overall it was found that it's hardly worth the money and effort to assemble it.

Agree

OP Peter Zoltan Regular Member • Posts: 138
It does work, but don't expect miracles

I tried it more today with some interesting results...

1. It works better when focus mode is Spot mode. I don't know why but I believe that the camera wants to cover a greater focus range when adjusting for multi-point areas or face-detection.

2. After a while when pracicing, you automatically turn the focus ring in the opposite direction a tiny bit before firing the shot. This is because when you have reacted to the beep you have already passed the optimal focus point.

3. It works better in good light conditions.

4. I have not tried it but I assume that it is more difficult with a 100mm lens compared to a 40mm lens because the focus area will be more stable with the 40mm lens.

5. Today, after some practising, it works in around two out of three shots compared to yesterday where every other shot didn't work, so yes it does seem to require some practising before becoming rewarding.

I haven't tried programming yet, because it is the focus confirmation functionality that I was interested in.....

Oh, and by the way. Tagotech were very quick to deliver the package with mail - It took exactly less than one week from Singapore to Sweden....I don't know if you can by the chip in US, but there seems to be no problems to order it from Singapore.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads