LX5 vs S95: Real Life Comparison Pics

Started Sep 2, 2010 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
OranShee Regular Member • Posts: 106
LX5 vs S95: Real Life Comparison Pics

Two different Worlds, what to you think?

Link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonLumixLx5PowershotS95#

Maybe you will find that there is no big difference between the Powershot S90 and the S95:

Link:
http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonPowershotS90S95#

If it is so, this could also be interesting:

http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonPanasonicLumixLX5AndCanonPowershotS90#

gulffish
gulffish Senior Member • Posts: 2,176
Re: LX5 vs S95: Real Life Comparison Pics

Nice set of photos. All JPEG? S95 seems to blow up some high contrast shots but both seem to be very capable cameras. Beauty is definately in the eye of the beholder here.
--
Kirk

Michael Barker Senior Member • Posts: 1,966

They both seem to blow out the sky or sunlit areas sometimes.
The Canon seems to have much better detail / less smudging at 1600 ISO.

They both perform very well at 80 ISO which is where almost all the shots are. Some ISO400 and ISO800 would be interesting.

These two cameras are neither in the same price range nor the same size class, but can be used for some of the same picture-taking.

-- hide signature --

"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain." -- Tom Stoppard

PaulRivers Veteran Member • Posts: 7,420

Um...is there some way to view them online at 100%?

Yiannakis Regular Member • Posts: 170

PaulRivers wrote:

Um...is there some way to view them online at 100%?

Nope. They need to be downloaded to your computer by clicking the Download button. This is the only way to get the full res image.

Mike Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 425

Some of the comparisons show differences that may be due to a difference between the ISO sensitivity shown on the camera menu and the actual sensiitivity. Many (but not all) of the S-95 shots with blown out skies appear to be a bit overexposed across the whole frame.

Lesson: Making a valid direct comparison isn't easy. Perhaps if all of the Canon shots were 1/3rd or 1/2 stop underexposed (using exposure compensation) they would be more comparable to the LX-5 shots.

-- hide signature --

Mike Sandman

Mike Sandman's gear list:Mike Sandman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Diagonal Fisheye Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +13 more
caissam Contributing Member • Posts: 793

Mike Sandman wrote:

Lesson: Making a valid direct comparison isn't easy. Perhaps if all of the Canon shots were 1/3rd or 1/2 stop underexposed (using exposure compensation) they would be more comparable to the LX-5 shots.

Definitly, I agree. As always with the s90 you should underexpose a little bit.

Also the in-camera sharpening of the lx is stronger. If you increase sharpening of the s95.JPGs a little bit its looks nearly similar, partly better than the lx5. I would like to see sharpening +1.

An other point ist that the lx5 boost the shaddows by increasing the iso to 125 in bright sun. Did you try "brighten shaddow AUTO" or "iContrast" to get similar resluts with the s95?

The last point is raw. I assume that we get nearly similar results using it, but so far without any correctiions und changes I would prefer the lx5-jpg-output. Their pics are showing less highlight clipping.

So my suggestions for further pics:

EV-0,33
shaddow auto
may be: IContrast 200%
Sharpening +1

Thanks a lot for the pics, great!
And lovely town, Innsbruck!

caissam's gear list:caissam's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M10
OranShee OP Regular Member • Posts: 106
to Mike and Caissam

I'm aware that one can improve the quality of the pics by changing the in-camera-settings. Im also aware that normally you have to do it with both of them (canon-blown highlights and sharpening, panasonic white balance and colors). But this was not my goal. I wanted to show the pics as "out of the camera" as possible. For me the p-mode is important because i don't want to find myself digging in the menu every time i see a snapshot.

I´m still not sure, if there is a winner. I think, I´ll stay with my S90 and wait another year.

Thanks for looking and commenting and many greetings, Oshee

caissam Contributing Member • Posts: 793
Re: to Mike and Caissam

I understand your point. Absolutly ok.

I aggree to you, the difference between S90 and S95 is small, but I think the metering of the s95 gets a little bit more resistant against highlight clipping.

But the other changes like HDR, 3:2, HD or the better grip and wheel are more important.

I would not sell my s90 if I had one, of course not, but I would opt for the s95 if I would buy a new one. Definitly!
The S95 is what the S90 should be from the beginning of their launch.

Without any changes of the defaults the lx5 ist the winner comparing your pics, no doubt for me. Using pics Out-of-Cam it seems to be more suitable.

Because of that it is important to change the defaults of the S95 to get the best out of it. Doing so you can still use the S95 as Snapshotcamera, too, no problem.

Only Seting -0,33 would improve the quality concerning the metering. And I would try the other suggestions above too before sending it back.

caissam's gear list:caissam's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M10
bibi0012 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,152

Thanks, very nice set of comparison.

S90/S95 has some corner/edge softness, compared to LX5.

-- hide signature --

Current gears
-------------------
Nikon: D50, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 180 f2.8, 16-85 VR
Canon: Rebel XT, 50 f1.4, 18-55 IS
Fuji: F31fd
Panasonic: GF1, 20, 14-45

Previous Gears
--------------------
Canon: 60 f2.8 macro, 24-105 L, 17-85 IS, 85 f1.8, 17-40 L, 17-55 IS f2.8, 18-55
Canon: Pro90, S1, A710, A650, S5 IS, EX-420
Panasonic: ZS3
Nikon: 18-200 VR, 18-55, 55-200 VR, 70-300 VR, SB-800
Sigma: 18-50 f2.8
Tamron: 17-50 f2.8, 28-75

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
bibi0012 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,152

I was refering to these photos. Light off and corner softness are more evident in S90's photo.

LX5

http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonPanasonicLumixLX5AndCanonPowershotS90#5511481196162272194

S90

http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonPanasonicLumixLX5AndCanonPowershotS90#5511481314705418898

-- hide signature --

Current gears
-------------------
Nikon: D50, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 180 f2.8, 16-85 VR
Canon: Rebel XT, 50 f1.4, 18-55 IS
Fuji: F31fd
Panasonic: GF1, 20, 14-45

Previous Gears
--------------------
Canon: 60 f2.8 macro, 24-105 L, 17-85 IS, 85 f1.8, 17-40 L, 17-55 IS f2.8, 18-55
Canon: Pro90, S1, A710, A650, S5 IS, EX-420
Panasonic: ZS3
Nikon: 18-200 VR, 18-55, 55-200 VR, 70-300 VR, SB-800
Sigma: 18-50 f2.8
Tamron: 17-50 f2.8, 28-75

bibi0012's gear list:bibi0012's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Canon PowerShot S95 Nikon D50 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II +4 more
Radu P Senior Member • Posts: 2,338

Is it just me, or do both cameras produce horrible images when viewed at 100%, even at ISO 80?

tngilbert1s Junior Member • Posts: 32

What is the S95's screen resolution like when composing to take a photo?

I just got the LX5 (full-res example below) and I mostly like the the camera - but I am extremely disappointed in the preview of what I am composing. The screen normally can be quite pleasing when reviewing already taken photos but is just awful (like pixel quadrupling) when composing.

I previously had a G11 - and this could be either my memory or me getting used to a GF1 the last few weeks - but I remember its screen during composing to be quite nice.

I am considering returning the LX5 and getting the S95 - but love the wide angle on the LX5. The menu system of the LX5 also just sucks compared to the G11 and I presume the S90/5.

Now that I am used to the GF1's screen I am afraid nothing will compare. Its resolution during composing and refresh rate are amazing. Way better than even my 5D2 during Live View.

http://files.secondstreetmedia.com/support/todd/lx5_downtown.jpg
http://files.secondstreetmedia.com/support/todd/lx5_atgame.jpg

Radu P wrote:

Is it just me, or do both cameras produce horrible images when viewed at 100%, even at ISO 80?

Welcome to any camera above 5 or 6 megapixels, lol. I have occasionally actually seen a photo or 2 in good light that looked fairly good from the s90 at 100%, it does happen, but even then it looks a little nicer when shrunken down to screen size (zoomed out).

The s90/s95 and lx3/lx5 are some of the best in their class in that regard - you should really try looking at a full resolution picture from an sd780 at 100%, lol - you'll be like "is there actually a coherent picture in there somewhere?".

tngilbert1s wrote:

What is the S95's screen resolution like when composing to take a photo?

I just got the LX5 (full-res example below) and I mostly like the the camera - but I am extremely disappointed in the preview of what I am composing. The screen normally can be quite pleasing when reviewing already taken photos but is just awful (like pixel quadrupling) when composing.

I previously had a G11 - and this could be either my memory or me getting used to a GF1 the last few weeks - but I remember its screen during composing to be quite nice.

I am considering returning the LX5 and getting the S95 - but love the wide angle on the LX5. The menu system of the LX5 also just sucks compared to the G11 and I presume the S90/5.

Now that I am used to the GF1's screen I am afraid nothing will compare. Its resolution during composing and refresh rate are amazing. Way better than even my 5D2 during Live View.

http://files.secondstreetmedia.com/support/todd/lx5_downtown.jpg
http://files.secondstreetmedia.com/support/todd/lx5_atgame.jpg

The s95's screen, as far as I can tell, uses every pixel individually. It's pretty sharp - no less sharp when composing photos as it is when reviewing them.

OranShee OP Regular Member • Posts: 106
screen

Hi tngilbert1s,
i've found that the powershot-screen is better, also in bright light.
To me there was no difference between the S90 and S95 screen!
Oshee

Lucien Contributing Member • Posts: 847
compression artifacts

Thanks very much for the comparison!

This reaffirms my believe that lack of super fine is bad. For instance look at this ISO 80 1:1 crop:

Mitigation is probably RAW but that's too much hassle for everyday shots.

Mid-Life Krysis Junior Member • Posts: 39

caissam wrote:

Also the in-camera sharpening of the lx is stronger. If you increase sharpening of the s95.JPGs a little bit its looks nearly similar, partly better than the lx5. I would like to see sharpening +1.

that is a pretty lame assumption. the LX5 clearly pulls in more detail, the photos ARE sharper and crispier, but to automatically assert that Canon's shots are blurrier and fuzzier - and they definitely ARE - because its in-camera sharpening is weaker is without merit. most of the the fuzziness and blur seen in the Powershot photos is beyond any sharpenning help. once the detail isn't there, then sharpening won't bring it back.

i say the LX5 is clearly superior to canon's sad effort.

tngilbert1s Junior Member • Posts: 32
Re: screen

Hi tngilbert1s,
i've found that the powershot-screen is better, also in bright light.
To me there was no difference between the S90 and S95 screen!
Oshee

Anyone used a Samsung TL500/EX1? I used it back at PMA last January but kinda wrote it off (because it’s a Samsung not a "real" camera manufacturer).

From reading specs: Its screen looks the best and it flips out - its lens looks like the best (in terms of wide/fast) and its build quality looks the best (brushed metal body!).

What does NOT look that great about it is its size (the main reason I sold my G11), its shot-to-shot time and its maximum shutter speed of only 1/1500.

I might just have to give it a shot - but no-one around me actually stocks it.

If the real reason the G12 is delayed is to update the lens (to a 24mm equiv) then that will be appealing again.

My first question is - in the LX5 version of this shot, the wood railing is a strong green color -

http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonLumixLx5PowershotS95#5512332568054905602

In the s95 shot, the railing is not as green...really at all. I suspect the s95 shot is the right color for the railing -

http://picasaweb.google.com/oranshee/ComparisonLumixLx5PowershotS95#5512332331229771906

Seems like the LX5 puts way to much green in objects that don't have much green in them. I agree with the other posters that the LX5 does a better job of not blowing the highlights though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads