sample pics of new 85M lens

Started Aug 31, 2010 | Discussions
asproductions Junior Member • Posts: 41
sample pics of new 85M lens

just received the new 85mm lens.
test pics attached.

First impressions

great lens, but the lens hood does not fit as tight onto the body as i would have though.

All Pics taken are at F1.4 with no PP done.

coudet Veteran Member • Posts: 4,141
Re: sample pics of new 85M lens

More samples, please.

asproductions wrote:

test pics attached.

First impressions

great lens, but the lens hood does not fit as tight onto the body as i would have though.

Leos Senior Member • Posts: 2,073

Can you make some shots in more challeging condition so we can see the quality of the bokeh ? Like wide open, medium distance to subject and foilage in background (not too close) with highlights. Thanks. I am very excited.

rareshb Regular Member • Posts: 179

It's obvious those pictures are fake. It says right there they were taken on Jan 1, 1970 at 02:00:00. However, we demand MOAR !

asproductions wrote:

test pics attached.

First impressions

All Pics taken are at F1.4 with no PP done.

Andre De Angelis Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

The lens is already in stores and selling. No reason these images shuold be fake.

It was meant as a joke. The date and time from the EXIF said 1st January, 1970, which is the default UNIX time ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_time ).

Andre De Angelis Senior Member • Posts: 2,191

Sorry, my bad. I realized you were joking after posting.

OP asproductions Junior Member • Posts: 41

pics are not fake.
my first pic posting.
How do you correct the time stamop?

The pics where taking with a D2x in manual mode, Auto ISO Auto with no PP in failing light here in Sydney.

I guess you have to find the menu, in camera, to set the time and date.

RodluvanII
RodluvanII Senior Member • Posts: 2,096
For the love of good take some decent snaps!

Do a few portrait, use it like it's intended to be used (not close ups of boxes and an overexposed dog).

Please.

(it's like it's always the gear-heads who buys the lens first, never the photographers)

Sorry if I'm harsh, but it's honestly frustrating to see almost every single time.

RodluvanII's gear list:RodluvanII's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 +11 more
Nikon_Kyo Regular Member • Posts: 380

Thanks for posting the pictures. Looking forward for your next set of pictures.

Nikon_Kyo's gear list:Nikon_Kyo's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +20 more
Moonwalker Senior Member • Posts: 2,114
new 85M lens

Bokeh is looking good in your samples. Thanks for sharing.

Looking forward to my AF-S 85mm f/1.4G.

Markus

Vphotographic Regular Member • Posts: 286
Re: new 85M lens

Think ill stick with my D version thanks anyway.

Seems to work just fine, bad examples but shows bokeh

f1.4

f8

f11

-- hide signature --

Regards

Paul Marshall
http://www.vphotographic.co.uk

ericfordh Senior Member • Posts: 1,419

asproductions wrote:

This is one of Nikon's most obnoxious ongoing blunders. On my 24G the hood is constantly shifting so that its shadow is visible at the edge of the frame. I wish they would take a note from Zeiss and make hoods that properly snap into place and stay there.

So the lens is already out in Australia/NZ... hope it hits the USA on schedule.

VividExposures Contributing Member • Posts: 989
Lens hood

When I bought a 50 1.8, it didn't come with a lens hood. I bought a 52mm screw in version made of rubber. I like it very much, and have been using it on a 35mm 1.8 as well. Perhaps something similar could be used for the 24 and 85?

http://www.amazon.com/amp-77mm-Rubber-Lens-Hood/dp/B0012FLFHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283264798&sr=8-3

ericfordh Senior Member • Posts: 1,419
Re: Lens hood

I had a rubber hood for one of my lenses once. They work fine, but I don't like screw-in hoods of any kind, if I can avoid them.

Ray Soares Veteran Member • Posts: 3,121
Thanks for sharing...

Looking VERY good by the way...
It seems IMHO, a perfect bokeh, same kind or a bit better than my 85 D
Best
--
Ray Soares

See my pictures at http://www.pbase.com/raysoares

Ray Soares's gear list:Ray Soares's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,883
Rubber hoods

VividExposures wrote:

When I bought a 50 1.8, it didn't come with a lens hood. I bought a 52mm screw in version made of rubber. I like it very much, and have been using it on a 35mm 1.8 as well. Perhaps something similar could be used for the 24 and 85?

http://www.amazon.com/amp-77mm-Rubber-Lens-Hood/dp/B0012FLFHO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1283264798&sr=8-3

Lens (sun) hoods are good protection for the lens against bumps into hard things. But not when they are rubber.

You can't really use a rubber hood for a 24mm, as that lens is so wide it will need a petal design hood.

SuisseNikon Regular Member • Posts: 478
protective filter for this lens?

what protective filter if any do you guys use on your 85 f/1.4D and/or plan on using on the 85 f/1.4G?

SuisseNikon's gear list:SuisseNikon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +2 more
brightcolours Forum Pro • Posts: 15,883
Re: protective filter for this lens?

SuisseNikon wrote:

what protective filter if any do you guys use on your 85 f/1.4D and/or plan on using on the 85 f/1.4G?

Well, first to make clear, I do not have any 85mm f1.4.

I do not use ANY protective filter on my lenses, because they are useless.

What do you want to protect against? Falling? A filter will not protect a falling lens. Finger smudges? You have to clean a filter too, so why not just clean the lens.

Filters can have adverse effects on resolution, on contrast and can give ghost lights in night scenes.

Use a hood for protection (and lens cap when not shooting), and only use a "protective filter" when it makes sense (like sand blowing around on the beach).

And get a good quality lens brush to clean dust and particles off, and a good lens cleaning fluid and microfiber lens cloth to clean front (and back) elements.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads