ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Started Aug 26, 2010 | Discussions
pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

I took these shots today in dim lighting with iso 3200. Shot in RAW, opened in LR and just saved as jpeg images. No post processing, not even cropping (the 100% viewfinder makes that a breeze), most images taken at 1/20th where the SR helped, but at iso 3200 and no NR the faces still appear plastic ?, what do you think?

Images in Reply
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

opiecat Senior Member • Posts: 2,404
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

is that a new K7 feature? nice shots:)
--
'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

david seeram Junior Member • Posts: 34
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

nice.

JimC1101
JimC1101 Contributing Member • Posts: 550
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Yeah, the K-7 can not shoot at 3200 so I don't know why you even tried this little experiment. Guess you did not hear that. Oh well, yes I will agree that it makes the whole scene look less lifelike and more like plastic models.

Love the shots by the way, and they look great at 3200.
--
Jim

 JimC1101's gear list:JimC1101's gear list
Pentax K-70 Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +2 more
Col K10d
Col K10d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,216
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Sure is,good use of the Supermarionation filter.

opiecat wrote:

is that a new K7 feature? nice shots:)
--
'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

-- hide signature --

 Col K10d's gear list:Col K10d's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/25 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +9 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,171
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

I think you K-7 needs servicing, those faces are so plasticy it looks like they're statues
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Irek J Senior Member • Posts: 2,762
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Too plastic...just kidding.

The noise control is superb!

-- hide signature --

Click Here:

mike703 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,708
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

I dunno, the pictures look a little... somehow... lifeless


Very nice series, really, I enjoyed looking at your pics.

Best wishes
--
Mike

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

opiecat wrote:

is that a new K7 feature? nice shots:)
--
'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

:), thanks.

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

david seeram wrote:

nice.

Thank you!

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

JimC1101 wrote:

Yeah, the K-7 can not shoot at 3200 so I don't know why you even tried this little experiment. Guess you did not hear that. Oh well, yes I will agree that it makes the whole scene look less lifelike and more like plastic models.

Love the shots by the way, and they look great at 3200.
--
Jim

Jim,

Yeah! comparing graphs and debating over minute differences is fine, as long as things are put into perspective. Unfortunately most of the time they are not, and trivial differences are unnecessarily magnified.

I like analysis, but I don't let it paralyze me

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Col K10d wrote:
Sure is,good use of the Supermarionation filter.

opiecat wrote:

is that a new K7 feature? nice shots:)
--
'when 900 years you reach, look as good you will not'
-- master yoda

http://jordanpaw.zenfolio.com

Learned something new...."supermarionation", cool!

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

MightyMike wrote:

I think you K-7 needs servicing, those faces are so plasticy it looks like they're statues
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Hey Mike!,

I think Pentax has sneaked in some firmware NR protocol in there. I am running the latest 1.10, and I've never seen the black/dark areas so noise free before. Wonder whether you've noticed anything ?, but with the K-x you probably aren't even worried about K-7 iso performance any more ?

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,707
Typical.....

pcarfan wrote:

I took these shots today in dim lighting with iso 3200. Shot in RAW, opened in LR and just saved as jpeg images. No post processing, not even cropping (the 100% viewfinder makes that a breeze), most images taken at 1/20th where the SR helped, but at iso 3200 and no NR the faces still appear plastic ?, what do you think?

Images in Reply
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Typical Pentax high iso.....completely lifeless images

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

Irek J wrote:

Too plastic...just kidding.

The noise control is superb!

Thank you, with serious images I would of course do some NR (at least chroma noise reduction with no IQ deterioration) and some luma noise reduction too, so it can definitely get better. But, I wanted to prove a point so shared non-processed images. But, in regards to noise, the reason to shoot in RAW is to do better NR, so it definitely can get better with little effort.

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

mike703 wrote:

I dunno, the pictures look a little... somehow... lifeless


Very nice series, really, I enjoyed looking at your pics.

Best wishes
--
Mike

Mike, thank you.

Really nice to hear the compliments. I just went there today to take some test shots (I left the iso at 3200 for that reason). I am glad they turned out to be decent photographs as well.

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

wll Veteran Member • Posts: 4,821
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

What can be done, is the sensor is bad, are the logarithms in the software incorrect.

That's it, Im switching to canon :- )

wll

OP pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Re: Typical.....

Dave Luttmann wrote:

pcarfan wrote:

I took these shots today in dim lighting with iso 3200. Shot in RAW, opened in LR and just saved as jpeg images. No post processing, not even cropping (the 100% viewfinder makes that a breeze), most images taken at 1/20th where the SR helped, but at iso 3200 and no NR the faces still appear plastic ?, what do you think?

Images in Reply
--

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Typical Pentax high iso.....completely lifeless images

:D, guilty as charged.

-- hide signature --

[url= http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/home#section=ARTIST&subSection=2323984&subSubSection=0&language=EN]MY PPG[ url]
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,482
Re: ISO 3200 with K-7, no NR, yet plastic faces.

If you ask me, that K-7 has made them look like dummies.

Joe

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads