SD14 w/EF-500 DG Super SA-N

Started Aug 22, 2010 | Discussions
Raven2k360 New Member • Posts: 2
SD14 w/EF-500 DG Super SA-N

Hi,

I've tried searching through Google and even the search function on here to answer my problem, but to no avail. I recently bought a Sigma set on ebay that included a SD9 body, SD14 body, an EF-500 DG Super SA-N flash, and various lenses. When I got everything and was testing things out, I noticed that the flash works great with the SD9 body, but when I use it with the SD14 all images are severly underexposed. I've tried manually adjusting aperture and shutter speed, adjusting ISO, over/underexposure compensation, and nothing seems to work. All images taken with the SD14/flash combo are nearly completely pitch-black (some outlines can be seen of objects in the image). The funny thing is, the built-in flash works, images are good when that's used, although IIRC I was having the same issue with the built-in flash, but tweaked the flash settings on the camera to get it to work. I was wondering if there was maybe a setting combination I was overlooking that would be causing this problem, or if the two are just incompatible. As far as I can tell, the camera's manual says I can use this flash. I've also tried using fixed settings on the flash, but nothing seemed to work. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
--

• Justin

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,105
Re: SD14 w/EF-500 DG Super SA-N

Should work, unless something's wrong with the body. Have you tried setting the flash on ttl and the SD14 on M at 1/200 sec?

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art +1 more
OP Raven2k360 New Member • Posts: 2

Go figure, just my luck....now it's working just fine...lol. Flash has been on TTL the whole time (except when I tried manual settings), and the camera in 'P' mode has defaulted to a shutter speed of 1/60, which is common. Earlier when I was testing, I changed the camera's exposure compensation to -3, then +3; no apparent change with -3, but the flash seemed to wig out on +3. Then, when I grabbed the camera and flash a few minutes ago, the flash got an 'Er' when I went to autofocus the camera. Power-cycled the flash, and it's been working fine since.... shrug Guess I'll keep an eye on it to see if it is/was a fluke either way.
--

• Justin

JefDeC
JefDeC Contributing Member • Posts: 664

Hello,

I have similar problems with my SD14/DG500Super. I think bad connection between the flash and the camera are the source of this issue. Connecting and reconnecting and changing the settings (sometimes several times) does the trick.

Best regards ... jef

JefDeC's gear list:JefDeC's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP2 Merrill Fujifilm X20 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +8 more
wayne Senior Member • Posts: 1,081

I believe that the SA-N version is for Nikon cameras and will most likely not work in TTL mode with the SD series. The Sigma version is EF-500 DG Super SA-STTL.

Oh, Ritz/Wolf was closing these out in their retail stores for about $40. Pretty sure they are all gone now, but who knows, some stores may still have some.

WHNewell Senior Member • Posts: 1,406
EF-500 DG Super SA-N is the SD10 compatible

version which has been superceded by the EF-500 DG Super SA-STTL and the EF-530 DG series. I have 2 SA-N's which I use with both my SD10 and SD14.

The SA-N's are supposed to have problems syncing with the SD9's though you don't see any issues with it.
--

http://www.pbase.com/wally_newell

Wally

wayne Senior Member • Posts: 1,081
Re: EF-500 DG Super SA-N is the SD10 compatible

You are right, it is the NA version that is Nikon specific. The SA-N is the older film version.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads