FZ40/FZ45 or FZ100?

Started Aug 22, 2010 | Discussions
Beefy_SAFC Regular Member • Posts: 443
FZ40/FZ45 or FZ100?

I've pretty well made my mind up that I'm going to upgrade from my FZ28.

I'm torn between the FZ45 and FZ100. Do I pay extra for the FZ100 is the big question for me.

Is there anywhere yet where I can see FZ45 sample shots? I've seen FZ100 pictures a plenty and these vary from quite good to a little iffy (true of all cameras I reckon).

I'm concerned that there seems a slight drop in sharpness from previous FZ models and a bit more noise (due to trying to cram 14 MP into such a small sensor, especially with a CMOS sensor). Will this be true also of the FZ45's CCD sensor; it's almost as though the CCD sensor strangely seems to tolerate being crammed into a small space.

Puzzling.

-- hide signature --

Ian (alias 'Beefy')
-----------------------------------------------
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tibet/

OP Beefy_SAFC Regular Member • Posts: 443
Re: FZ40/FZ45 or FZ100?

Okay, put it this way. I have the finances in place ready to buy an FZ100, but I want my last niggling doubts about the camera put to bed.

-- hide signature --

Ian (alias 'Beefy')
-----------------------------------------------
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tibet/

cosmicsailor Regular Member • Posts: 409

Impossible to eliminate all doubts. I suspect both cameras will take better pictures than your FZ28. I also suspect the FZ40/45 will take better still shots than the FZ100. But this list will probably be arguing about it until the next model comes out next year.

Really until both cameras get reviewed and we can compare comparable shots we just won't know. And until people get more familiar with the cameras and learn how to push more quality out of them we are just guessing.

Assuming more pixels is always bad is not right either as each FZ using the same sensor size has seen improvements in quality. My biggest question is the lens, and from what I have seen so far it looks OK.

Gene

-- hide signature --
El Profe Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Unless you need or want the bigger lens don't upgrade.

Both (FZ-40 & FZ-100) use the same lens and although bigger with more reach I doubth it is as sharp as the one in the FZ-28. And the jump in MP's don't really translate to a better picture quality because of the added noise by having more & smaller pixels in the same size of sensor.

Vandyu Veteran Member • Posts: 8,891

Beefy, how can you realistically decide to buy a camera that hasn't been released or reviewed yet? Well, I guess you could just buy on specs alone based on manufacturer reputation and previous experience with other models. I think there's enough information out there to make a reasonably well-informed decision about the FZ100, but without some basic reviews of the FZ40/45, you're working in the dark IMO. I'd either get the FZ100 or wait a bit longer. Otherwise, I suspect you will question your buying decision.

-- hide signature --

If Today is the First Day of the Rest of Your Life, How Will You Spend It?

Vandyu's gear list:Vandyu's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +9 more
Steve82 Senior Member • Posts: 2,906

Beefy_SAFC wrote:

I've pretty well made my mind up that I'm going to upgrade from my FZ28.

I'm torn between the FZ45 and FZ100. Do I pay extra for the FZ100 is the big question for me.

Personally, I'm not yet convinced that the FZ100 is actually an improvement over what you already have. However if you take many indoor pictures, then the hot shoe on the FZ100 will be worth much more than the price difference with the FZ45.

pittguy53178 Contributing Member • Posts: 847
FZ45 will be a good camera

It's an FZ35 with a longer reach-may have a little more noise, but the picture quality will be the same for all intents and purposes.

elenauk Contributing Member • Posts: 688
Improvements

Whether to upgrade , depends on your budget & the feature range you want

I have an FZ38 , FZ38 & Leica v-lux-1 (FZ50 equivalent)

The FZ100 , from the limited pics available online to have very slightly not as sharp pics as the FZ38 .but this can sometimes just be down to poor comparisons being made with different camera settings, also its unclear whether its1st batch or pre production issues

I personally wait at least a couple of months before I buy a new model because ie on the FZ38 , the opening price was £399 & I bought it for £270 from a panasonic dealer 2 months later

The FZ38 was an improvement in terns of low light/night shots over the FZ28 in photos & video. The video button took a lttle time to get used to, but its a great all purpose camera. However, I got skin tones that were a little to red for my liking for people with darker skin. I didnt have the problem with the FZ28. I tried the FZ100 indoors w/o flash & it took great pics in the loer light. It also handles natural light indoors as well as the FZ28 & I prefer it to the Z38 for portraits. I think it'll be a great learning tool.

I dont do nature or sports photography, so pin sharp is not essential because the camera is mostly in the slightly softer portrait mode most of the time, but I want the increased full size faster burst mode for friends weddings, ie people walking up the aisle & not missing a shot

I intend to get the FZ100 or any leica version that comes out , to replace my FZ38. I prefer the adjustable back as I can get into more interesting angles for architecture ie if I want to photo up the full length of a building, I dont have to crouch underneath & look up anymore . Also the hot shoe , remote control potential , will be great & external mic slot. I prefer the lighter weight than the FZ50.

I tried the FZ100 in a shop & I was happy with the new features & pics & its easier to handle for video & pics with the 360 turn back. I'm waiting for it to go under £300 or close as I'm in no hurry. Basically its an FZ38 with more features.I havent seen shots from the FZ45 to compare. The screen is nice & has more angle movements than the HS10. If it stays at the current over £300 price I think a £250 fz38 would be a better buy as the Fz45 doesnt have all the features of FZ100 & IQ on the FZ38 is not improved on the FZ100, If the FZ100 gives me a better night cam , better HD , hotshoe, 3 inch screen & lighter & more compact than my leica v-lux-1 at a cheaper price then its fine for me. The extra zoom length wasnt essential to me 480mm was more than sufficient & in common with all camera models on the market, no compact superzoom does anything over 500mm pin sharp, I dont think the technology is perfected yet

elena
http://www.flickr.com/photos/40207062@N08/

El Profe Senior Member • Posts: 1,706

Ok. If you are trying to decide between an FZ-40 and an FZ-100 just remember than the FZ-40 is basically an FZ-35(38) with a bigger 600mm lens, a more powerfull flash and a slightly bigger screen (3" vs 2.7"). Although it is 14MP's I doubth its photo quality will improve at all even with its CCD sensor. Although it does not have a hot shoe its flash is powerfull enough for most indoor photos (unless you are planning on taking photos in an indoor basketball game or any indoor stadium at night time).

The FZ-100 is a much faster camera. Better for sport photography or moving objects and videos, although not necessarilly with better photo quality. But it will improve your chances of taking photos than the FZ-40 may not be able to take due to being much slower. It also has a hot shoe for installing a big flash (like my Sunpak 622 Super Pro with 400ft of reach!) and a much better 460K screen.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads