It has come time...

Started Aug 19, 2010 | Discussions
Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,666
It has come time...

I have decided that it is time for me to move on from keeping much of my beautiful Pentax lenses in order to fund my Nikon lens line up, specifically the long fast glass. I am going to keep my FA prime Limiteds and the FA* zooms, but the rest is going.

This will mean that I have the best of both worlds, a small compact Pentax APS C camera complete with Limited primes (and some FA* zooms) and a Nikon FF camera and lenses. I think Thomas (Duplo) has done a similar thing and I can see why as it's a darn good set up!

It also means that I can still participate here at the best DPR forum, Pentax SLR talk.

-- hide signature --
 Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
A Schamber Senior Member • Posts: 1,068
I saw this time coming...

Lance... it was expectable. I would have done the very same.

Promise us that you will be here as well, as you are one of the most important contributors. Enjoy that beautiful glass
--
Alan Schamber

Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm - Frank Zappa

Uluru Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Let's bet

.. for fun's sake and to make this thread interesting, that in 12 months from now you won't have any Pentax gear left.

If you happen to have something still left by then, I'll buy you a pizza, a beer and a desert.
Seriously.

richardday Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972
Re: It has come time...

Lance B wrote:

I have decided that it is time for me to move on from keeping much of my beautiful Pentax lenses in order to fund my Nikon lens line up, specifically the long fast glass. I am going to keep my FA prime Limiteds and the FA* zooms, but the rest is going.

I know how you feel, I had to sell ALL of my Pentax stuff in order to fund my move, but then I wasn't a heavy prime shooter, but I do miss the DA*60-250, it's a unique and superb lens.

But I'd keep your FA20/2.8 to go with the FA Ltds, it's a super lens, always liked that one, but could never find one at a price/quality level I could afford. A 20-77mm range (31-777 is a bit limiting) and a K-"whatever" is a perfect prime setup, which is what Pentax is best at.

This will mean that I have the best of both worlds, a small compact Pentax APS C camera complete with Limited primes (and some FA* zooms) and a Nikon FF camera and lenses. I think Thomas (Duplo) has done a similar thing and I can see why as it's a darn good set up!

It also means that I can still participate here at the best DPR forum, Pentax SLR talk.

I hope I can as well, as long as I don't talk up Nikon!
--
Richard Day - 'Carpe Diem!'
Gloucester UK

essH Contributing Member • Posts: 876

richardday wrote:

I know how you feel, I had to sell ALL of my Pentax stuff in order to fund my move, but then I wasn't a heavy prime shooter, but I do miss the DA*60-250, it's a unique and superb lens.

Yes, I bet you do - you produced some fine shots with it. Btw, I was in SRS yesterday and spotted 2 copies of that lens still in the 2nd-hand window, where they were soon after you made the change. I'm betting one might have been yours; the other - who knows - perhaps Steve's? When you guys made the change, SRS's window had more fine Pentax lenses than I've seen in one place for a long time. Some of them have found new homes, but not all.
--
Simon

essH's gear list:essH's gear list
Pentax K-30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8
tcom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,496

Lance B wrote:

I can fully understand your decision, especially as I am playing with such a though as well. On one hand, I would gain from a faster AF. On the other hand, I saw the problems another photographer had in the rainy weather of Saturday at the beach volley championship in Vevey last weekend. His camera stopped to respond to a few buttons.

So, faster AF or reliable camera in the rain? I do prefer the weathersealing.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +18 more
OP Lance B Forum Pro • Posts: 32,666

richardday wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Yes, I agree. The DA*60-250 is a brilliant lens and one that I will miss too.

But I'd keep your FA20/2.8 to go with the FA Ltds, it's a super lens, always liked that one, but could never find one at a price/quality level I could afford. A 20-77mm range (31-77 is a bit limiting) and a K-"whatever" is a perfect prime setup, which is what Pentax is best at.

I agree with this also.

I hope I can as well, as long as I don't talk up Nikon!

I have done very little of talking up Nikon and I still think Pentax does many things better.

-- hide signature --

Gloucester UK

-- hide signature --
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II +18 more
Re: I saw this time coming...

A Schamber wrote:

Lance... it was expectable. I would have done the very same.

Promise us that you will be here as well, as you are one of the most important contributors. Enjoy that beautiful glass

Thank you for your kind wishes, Alan.

-- hide signature --

Alan Schamber

Progress is not possible without deviation from the norm - Frank Zappa

-- hide signature --
Re: Let's bet

Uluru wrote:

.. for fun's sake and to make this thread interesting, that in 12 months from now you won't have any Pentax gear left.

If you happen to have something still left by then, I'll buy you a pizza, a beer and a desert.
Seriously.

I guess we shall have to wait and see.

-- hide signature --

tcom wrote:

Lance B wrote:

I can fully understand your decision, especially as I am playing with such a though as well. On one hand, I would gain from a faster AF. On the other hand, I saw the problems another photographer had in the rainy weather of Saturday at the beach volley championship in Vevey last weekend. His camera stopped to respond to a few buttons.

Understandable, although the D700 and 24-70 and 70-200 are weather sealed.

-- hide signature --
tcom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,496

Lance B wrote:

tcom wrote:

Lance B wrote:

Understandable, although the D700 and 24-70 and 70-200 are weather sealed.

I do not know for the D700. The guy had a 7D and a few buttons stopped working during the rain. On the next day, the camera was fully working again.

tcom's gear list:tcom's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax 645Z Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +18 more
Ishpuini Veteran Member • Posts: 6,249

Hi Lance!!

Lance B wrote:

Sounds like the rational thing to do. But I see you are keeping the door ajar for a larger sensor Pentax... Hard to tell you'll ever be back here for that though...

I like to think I do the same within the Pentax system. I.e. FA and DA limiteds on the K-7 for compact and taking my time (the photography I prefer). And the DA* FA* glass on the K-7 plus grip for faster, longer (both focal length and time between battery charges) and more flexible (the only option for photography on a multiweek trip).

As far as I'm concerned, I'll always read your posts here and be happy to do so! And should you no longer feel welcome, you have my e-mail address!!

cya! Wim

-- hide signature --

Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Ricoh Theta S Ricoh GR III Pentax Q Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-3 II +21 more
sfa1966
sfa1966 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,474
Duplicating Duplo ..

Lance B wrote:

I think Thomas (Duplo) has done a similar thing ...

I reckon that you need to go further in copying Thomas, and buy a DA21 ...

Why?

1. You've never owned one before, so there would be a nice novelty factor;

2. It's a great walkaround lens (yeah it's slow, but you get plenty of light down your way);

3. It's as light as a feather (yes, I know you've said that carrying your new Nikon gear does not bother you, and you carried it up 12 mountains in the UK etc., but you won't always be so young ;-));

4. It renders nice for those landscapes you do so well;

5. It's not full-frame - but who cares? - you've got that aspect pretty well covered in two systems ...

Anyhow, good luck with the sale. Maybe if Pentax pull out a few stops at the upcoming trade show, you'll get a nice uplift on your pricing!
--
Cheers,
sfa

A very limited photographer ...

sfa1966's gear list:sfa1966's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +11 more
trublubiker Junior Member • Posts: 40

It's a small world and the internet makes it even smaller

Cheers

Kevin

trublubiker's gear list:trublubiker's gear list
Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S
pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948

Sounds like an idea. Which FA* zooms do you have?, and I am curious where you are planning to sell you gear (The other forum or ebay)?
--
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

stillman3 Contributing Member • Posts: 616

What time tomorrow do I back the truck up to your place to pick up the lenses?

CANIKONTAXIAN Contributing Member • Posts: 629

Inspiring Lance !

Congradulations on deciding to pull the trigger and sell off the majority of your Pentax kit inleiu of adding more Nikon goodies.

Unless Pentax is announcing some mind blowing spec cameras with newly designed full frame spec'd lenses in next month I am right behind you.

I really should have dumped my Pentax kit two years ago, but for some reason the many (((endless))) rumors of upcoming Pentax items keeps me hooked. And thus made me more & more annoyed with the "Pentax" ownership experience.

At somepoint Pentax might possibly offer full frame, Evil, newly designed lenses, but if it doesn't happen in a month I am out of here too.

Enjoy the Nikon experience, where you buy kit instead of waiting endlessly for rumors of kit to come...

Lance B wrote:

pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948

CANIKONTAXIAN wrote:

Inspiring Lance !

Congradulations on deciding to pull the trigger and sell off the majority of your Pentax kit inleiu of adding more Nikon goodies.

Did you really mean to say 'inspiring' ?
--
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

SanMat Senior Member • Posts: 2,861

Good luck with that. It's understandable. Since most of my shooting doesn't need more than 300mm, I'm staying put. If I do have an absolute need for a fast gun for sports/nature shooting, I will likely be dual system as I really like how Pentax renders for everything else.

Are you sure you don't want to at least wait for Photokina to confirm Pentax does/does not have something bigger and faster coming out?

May be worth the wait, it's only next month,

Regardless - looking forward to more of your posts, Pentax or otherwise,

Pete

richardday Veteran Member • Posts: 7,972

essH wrote:

richardday wrote:

Yes, I bet you do - you produced some fine shots with it. Btw, I was in SRS yesterday and spotted 2 copies of that lens still in the 2nd-hand window, where they were soon after you made the change. I'm betting one might have been yours; the other - who knows - perhaps Steve's?

Steve didn't have a 60-250, he had the 16-50 and 50-135 DA*'s plus some FA*, FA and FA Limiteds as well as DA Limiteds.

When you guys made the change, SRS's window had more fine Pentax lenses than I've seen in one place for a long time. Some of them have found new homes, but not all.

LOL! - However, I do think that there have been quite a few additions from other sources as well.

-- hide signature --

Simon

-- hide signature --

Gloucester UK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads