My Pentax 17-70 does not autofocus

Started Aug 19, 2010 | Discussions
JorgeR Forum Member • Posts: 65
My Pentax 17-70 does not autofocus

Oh, well...

I had some problems with this lens, that started going back and forth but never getting right focus (nor confirmation beep).

Pentax in Colorado replaced SDM and worked for a couple of months.
Now it doesn't move at all when pressing the shutter to focus.
It became a manual focus lens.

Of course, it could be a malfunction of my K20D...
All other lenses I have are non-SDM (and work well), so I cant't tell.

Since the warranty expired, do you know if there is a simple way to tell if it is a lens problem or a body problem (at this point, for mere curiosity).

I think I should head to a Sigma 17-70 as soon as I can.

Thanks for your suggestions,

-- hide signature --

Jorge Roland

JorgeR's gear list:JorgeR's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +24 more
LightBug Senior Member • Posts: 2,588
Re: My Pentax 17-70 does not autofocus

Did you buy it with a credit card that has extended warranty protection? You may be able to get it repaired under that.

Joey

LightBug's gear list:LightBug's gear list
Sony a7R Pentax 645Z Pentax Q-S1 Pentax KP Ricoh Theta V +21 more
viking79
viking79 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,156

To test the body, try Live View with the lens. On my K20d when the SDM failed in the body the body would shake violently when put in live view with the 16-50mm (the SR system went hay wire in live view). Also, if there is a local shop, try one of their SDM lenses.

The second sign of failure is the lens will fall back to screw drive focus, but the 17-70mm is SDM only, so this won't be the case.

My body failed when I switched lenses with the power on between my Sigma 17-70 and Pentax 16-50mm. I think I might have bumped the focus or something at the same time. They had to replace the autofocus module in the camera.

Eric
--
I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object
be what it may - light, shade, and perspective will always make it
beautiful. - John Constable (quote)

See my Blog at: http://viking79.blogspot.com/ (Weekly)
Flickr Photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28177041@N03/ (updated daily)
See my PPG Shots: http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/erictastad (8/31/09)

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony a7R Samsung NX1 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Philnw2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,683

Jorge,

didn't Pentax colorado give you some sort of warranty on the repairs? Either way, i would call them up immediately and tell them the repair only lasted 2 months and you want it repaired on their dime. Chances are that its the new lens repair that's gone south. Also ask them if they installed the upgraded motor that was supposed to go into SDM repairs. according to the French poster benjikan on Pentax Forums, there is an upgraded motor for SDM repairs that focuses faster.

-- hide signature --

Phil B
K20D, K10D

Philnw2's gear list:Philnw2's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +4 more
pcarfan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
Cut and paste from the other forum

"About two weeks ago, after not being used for a month or so, my DA*16-50 ceased working on my K200D. I tried it on my second K200D body and still nothing. I was getting ready to call Pentax to arrange for repairs when I saw a suggestion on a forum posting that said to try manually focusing the lens while holding down the shutter release button half way. So this morning I tried that and SAAZAM, the SDM came back to life. It has been working great all day, outside in bright sun and inside in low light. Like wow."

Worth a try.
--
K10D, K-7

Pentax: DA15/4, DA21/3.2, FA31/1.8, FA43/1.9, FA77/1.8, F135/2.8, FA*28-70/2.8, FA*80-200/2.8
Sigma Zooms: Sigma 100-300 F4

'Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... 'Wow! What a ride!'

OP JorgeR Forum Member • Posts: 65
Re: Cut and paste from the other forum

Thank you, guys.
Tried the last suggestion, but no luck.
Will see if Colorado can help...
Thanks again,
Jorge
--
Jorge Roland

Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 II Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Pentax smc DA 10-17mm F3.5-4.5 ED (IF) Fisheye +24 more

Well, I contacted Pentax in Colorado, and the repair is under warranty.
So I will send the lens again.
Thank you for your valuable help.
--
Jorge Roland

Well, the first repair was really out of warranty, but Pentax service in Colorado kindly repaired it again at no charge.

Thank you Pentax!

-- hide signature --

Jorge Roland

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads