Gabor (panopeeper)?

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,136
Rawnalyze information...

joshreeter wrote:

I never had the opportunity to speak to Gabor, but by the responses I know he was a very genuine person..

Most definitely.

I'm interested in his RawAnalyzer program could anyone direct me to where I can find information about it?

That's a bit problematic. His site is gone, just a parking notice now.

http://www.cryptobola.com/PhotoBola/Rawnalyze.htm

He never hosted it on mirrors, so as far as I know, there's no place to get the latest 2.10.0.4, but there's a file sharing site that has a version about a year old, 2.9.7.0

http://www.netzwelt.de/download/11699-rawnalyze.html

And you can get information on using it from a wayback machine archive of Gabor's site from that time.

http://web.archive.org/web/20080529212517/http://www.cryptobola.com/PhotoBola/Rawnalyze.htm

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Anonimo Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Keeping RawAnalize alive?

Hi Joseph!

Thanks for that.

I understood that somebody in the forum wanted to contact Gabor's family to send our condolences. Maybe the person can tactfully ask if they have any plans for Rawanalyze (it is Gabor's intelectual property) and if they would agree that someone keep it alive. We could use the community to search for a suitable candidate.

One possible way would be to offer the code to some open-source projects. Maybe Dave Coffin (dcraw's author) or the LibRAW crew gets interested.

Best Regards,
Anonimo

RIP Gabor

Per Inge Oestmoen Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
Re: Keeping RawAnalize alive?

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

I understood that somebody in the forum wanted to contact Gabor's family to send our condolences. Maybe the person can tactfully ask if they have any plans for Rawanalyze (it is Gabor's intelectual property) and if they would agree that someone keep it alive. We could use the community to search for a suitable candidate.

One possible way would be to offer the code to some open-source projects. Maybe Dave Coffin (dcraw's author) or the LibRAW crew gets interested.

Hello!

Judging from Gabor's noble personality, high intelligence and willingness to help, I would not be surprised if it was his wish to let Rawnalyze (which is the correct name) go Open Source.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,559

That is part of my communication. I will post a followup when I get a reply.
--

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +12 more
rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,582

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

Hello!

Judging from Gabor's noble personality, high intelligence and willingness to help, I would not be surprised if it was his wish to let Rawnalyze (which is the correct name) go Open Source.

I support the idea of keeping Rawnayze alive
for Gabor

question though, how about new camera with different format
Gabor usually kept Rawnalyze updated for the new camera

any genius programmer out there?

OP zappa1976 Regular Member • Posts: 495

I agree, would be nice if someone continues the great work of Gabor.

rondhamalam wrote:

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

Hello!

I support the idea of keeping Rawnayze alive
for Gabor

question though, how about new camera with different format
Gabor usually kept Rawnalyze updated for the new camera

any genius programmer out there?

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

Hello!

perhaps so (although he had been extremely secretive about the code when he was working on it, making special private internal versions, etc. and treating it as 100% opposite of open source; all the same would he actually want it to just disappear??)

Magne Nilsen Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Re: Keeping RawAnalize alive? hmmm, not sure

bronxbombers wrote:

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

Hello!

perhaps so (although he had been extremely secretive about the code when he was working on it, making special private internal versions, etc. and treating it as 100% opposite of open source; all the same would he actually want it to just disappear??)

hmmm...

from my correspondence with Gabor regarding coding in general, but also related to specific programming projects, I think that he looked upon his programming as a rather private thing.

My personal feeling would be that he would not have preferred his source code to be perused by others. I could be wrong under the circumstances, but I saw no reasons to ask twice back then. As usual, he was rather clear.

~~~~
Magne

Per Inge Oestmoen Senior Member • Posts: 1,805

Magne Nilsen wrote:

hmmm...

from my correspondence with Gabor regarding coding in general, but also related to specific programming projects, I think that he looked upon his programming as a rather private thing.

My personal feeling would be that he would not have preferred his source code to be perused by others. I could be wrong under the circumstances, but I saw no reasons to ask twice back then. As usual, he was rather clear.

My intuitive feeling from my correspondence with Gabor was that he viewed Rawnalyze as very private, but not in the sense that he showed the sometimes neurotic approach to "intellectual property" which expresses itself in such undesirable phenomena as Product Activation with ties to a manufacturer after the licensee has paid the fee. Gabor obviously had very high standards for himself and, in my understanding, simply wanted to ensure that the program maintained the quality he demanded by doing it all by himself. I feel that were this not so, he would not have given his program away from free.

My take on this question is that it is as likely as not that he would have wanted his program to become Open Source instead of dying with him - but he would also be VERY anxious to know that his standards were adhered to.

janlu
janlu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,207
very sorry

i learned a lot reading his post.....i wanna do the best wishes for his family. RIP Gabor.

Gianluca

I started a new "fate of Rawnalyze" thread...

zappa1976 wrote:

Someone know "where" (which forum) is He?

He has a great knowledge on the digital cameras in both engineering and photography aspects.

Indeed.

This thread, a very nice tribute to Gabor, is starting to fill up with discussion on the fate of his Rawnalyze program. So that this one can remain a tribute, I've started a new thread over in Open Talk about the possibility of continuing either Gabor's own Rawnalyze or creating a Rawnalyze "clone", as it were.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=36104145

-- hide signature --

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

Looking at other people's code...

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Magne Nilsen wrote:

hmmm...

My intuitive feeling from my correspondence with Gabor was that he viewed Rawnalyze as very private, but not in the sense that he showed the sometimes neurotic approach to "intellectual property" which expresses itself in such undesirable phenomena as Product Activation with ties to a manufacturer after the licensee has paid the fee. Gabor obviously had very high standards for himself and, in my understanding, simply wanted to ensure that the program maintained the quality he demanded by doing it all by himself. I feel that were this not so, he would not have given his program away from free.

My take on this question is that it is as likely as not that he would have wanted his program to become Open Source instead of dying with him - but he would also be VERY anxious to know that his standards were adhered to.

I can understand that. I tend to code two ways.

• Programs that I'm working on with a group, or may hand off to someone or sell source. Those have to make sense to other people, adhere to certain community standards, etc.

• Programs that are private. Letting someone look at these is a lot like letting them read your personal mail.

-- hide signature --

Ciao! Joseph

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226

Magne Nilsen wrote:

bronxbombers wrote:

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

Anonimo wrote:

Hi Joseph!
Thanks for that.

Hello!

hmmm...

~~~~
Magne

Perhaps I was trying to be a bit too optimistic there and trying to agree to what extent I could with Per Inge Oestmoen. He did seem to be extremely secretive about his coding, for whatever reason, and even kept secret versions of even the compiled version of Raw only for himself. He didn't sound too open at all when I asked about being to code anything for it and I sense that I should quickly drop the subject. So I'm not sure what to say.

KEITH-C Forum Pro • Posts: 14,131

I too would like to express my sadness on learning this unwelcome news. Gabor was a giant amongst a very small number of people who understood digital properly & was willing to pass on his knowledge & experience to others.

He will be greatly missed & I share the hope expressed by others that his work & special contribution to this field will be not be lost.
--
Keith-C

lrargerich New Member • Posts: 1

He was a friend of mine and a teacher, I'm still in shock. It's just too sad.

Gabor was a masterful technician but he was also a great photographer. His panoramas were perfect and beautiful with incredible detail.

I have some low-res files from him I would love to be able to get his photos and put up a website with them as a memorial.

We might even collect some of his work like posts he started as articles.

If someone was also a friend and would like to start discussing ideas my email is lrargerich@gmail.com

Luis

stasvolik Contributing Member • Posts: 570
Re: Bad news...

Yes, really bad news. Besides freely sharing his knowledge, he was always ready to help others. He's spent quite some time trying to rescue a mangled RAW file of mine, and did get out a useable image, that I really wanted to have. A great loss .
--
Sincerely,
Stas.

stasvolik's gear list:stasvolik's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +6 more
Ludovic Monchat Veteran Member • Posts: 3,217
I'm am terribly sad

Among the millions of useless posts on this Forum (like on each forum I should add...) one guy always helped, teached, spent valuable time to explain in a simple way, Gabor Schorr.

And he helped me a lot when I've been forced and fight with Canon when I get my first 5D2, a real lemon.

I can only shoot thinking about him and hope my soul, my bad English and my little prayer will reach him, somewhere.

I'm back from holydays with 24 GB of pictures...

RIP Gabor and once again, thanks so much

-- hide signature --

Ludo from Paris
Tankers of tools, thimbles of talent
BestOf http://ludo.smugmug.com/gallery/1158249

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads