Gabor (panopeeper)?

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions
Dena Flows Regular Member • Posts: 391
:´-(

It is strange this internet era.

We feel sorry about people we don't know.

Pretty sure that's because they deserve it.

All the best. Dena Flows

DSPographer Senior Member • Posts: 2,464
Re: Bad news...

Very sad news. Gabor was very generous with his time when he could help out another forum member.

DSPographer's gear list:DSPographer's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +4 more
OP zappa1976 Regular Member • Posts: 495

+1
Great gentleman.

DSPographer wrote:

Gabor was very generous with his time when he could help out another forum member.

Joofa Senior Member • Posts: 2,655
Re: Gabor (panopeeper)?

I don't recall having any interaction with Gabor, however, seeing so many people remember him in good terms makes me sad that a knowledgeable person has departed. I wish the best for his family.

Joofa

-- hide signature --

Dj Joofa

Magne Nilsen Senior Member • Posts: 1,120
Sad news!

Sad news indeed. Gabor was unique! RIP.

~~~~
Magne

Anonimo Contributing Member • Posts: 583
I am very sorry

I will miss his posts. I hope that he rests in peace. My sentiments to his family.

I regret that his sites are down and hope that RAWAnalyze is taken over by somebody. I think that he would wish that.

Andre Affleck wrote:

I called his residence and his daughter said he passed away a few months back. I didn't ask any details but she said it was sudden. Very sad.

Per Inge Oestmoen Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
Gabor Schorr

I had several exchanges with Gabor - I sent him RAW files from some of my cameras when he added new cameras to his Rawnalyze program. His high competence enabled him to discover that many consumer class cameras cheat with their highest ISO settings - whereas top models like the 1D II, 1D III and 1D IV have genuine high ISO values.

Remarkably enough, he never failed to meet others with politeness and an helpful, friendly and also curious attitude.

Everyone who came into contact with Gabor must have noticed what a noble soul he was.

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway

bronxbombers Forum Pro • Posts: 18,226
Re: Gabor (panopeeper)?

pandalee wrote:

I miss him and Emil alot

looks like Emil may be busy coding RAW software in his spare time

Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Sorry to hear this

. . . He was one of the posters here who's posts I always read. Best wishes to his family.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
rondhamalam
rondhamalam Senior Member • Posts: 2,582
Deepest Condolence

Andre Affleck wrote:

I called his residence and his daughter said he passed away a few months back. I didn't ask any details but she said it was sudden. Very sad.

He was a great and well respected man with a wealth of information. I would consider him one of the leading authorities in the field of digital capture. He will be deeply missed.

I want to express my deepest condolence for Gabor passed away.

He is a highly respected man in my life with very kind and generous resposes. He always wanted to help others in the light of knowledge. I missed him.

Teosax Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

This is VERY VERY SAD
Gabor was great, i learned so much from him.
my warmest thoughts to his family.
he will be missed with his knowledge and politeness.

RIP

matteo

Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
He will be missed...

zappa1976 wrote:

Someone know "where" (which forum) is He?

We can only imagine.

He has a great knowledge on the digital cameras in both engineering and photography aspects.

He always shared, with class.

Definitely an inspiration to us all.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
Joseph S Wisniewski Forum Pro • Posts: 34,130
I always left him that anonymity...

Just on the off chance that he was related to "the" Dennis Gabor, and didn't want to be mobbed.

Per Inge Oestmoen wrote:

I had several exchanges with Gabor - I sent him RAW files from some of my cameras when he added new cameras to his Rawnalyze program. His high competence enabled him to discover that many consumer class cameras cheat with their highest ISO settings - whereas top models like the 1D II, 1D III and 1D IV have genuine high ISO values.

Remarkably enough, he never failed to meet others with politeness and an helpful, friendly and also curious attitude.

Definitely something we all should aspire to.

Everyone who came into contact with Gabor must have noticed what a noble soul he was.

I was actually a bit jealous. He was a better man than I.

-- hide signature --

Rahon Klavanian 1912-2008.

Armenian genocide survivor, amazing cook, scrabble master, and loving grandmother. You will be missed.

Ciao! Joseph

http://www.swissarmyfork.com

Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list:Joseph S Wisniewski's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D100 +43 more
PhotoKhan Forum Pro • Posts: 10,684

How sad... a true loss to this community.

My deepest sympathy to his family.

PK

-- hide signature --

“Loose praise may feed my ego but constructive criticism advances my skills”
-------------------------------------------------
http://www.pbase.com/photokhan
(PBase Supporter)

Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 41,309
Add me to the list...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

I'm sorry to have learned about this tragedy. My condolences to his family and friends.

cs hauser Contributing Member • Posts: 735

Gabor was always the foremost authority on the technical aspects of digital cameras. I gave more credence to his analysis of the latest SLRs than I did to all the review websites combined.

His passing is such a loss for everyone. RIP panopeeper...

Tyrone Wellhung Contributing Member • Posts: 980
Re: He will be missed...

Joseph S Wisniewski wrote:

zappa1976 wrote:

Someone know "where" (which forum) is He?

We can only imagine.

He has a great knowledge on the digital cameras in both engineering and photography aspects.

Absolutely. he was one of those few you could have a ding-dong argument with, where he'd give as good as he got, and would still come back for the next one with no rancour or bad feeling. Still think he was wrong on a quite a few things, but there's not so many who can be wrong in the right way (and right in the right way, too).

And as far as finding interesting things about what the camera manufacturers were doing with their raw files, without peer. I've still got an email of his in my in tray on something nefarious in the 5DII raw files, which I hadn't got round to replying to.
He'll be missed.

photo nuts Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Oh no!!! So sad. He'll be missed. /nt

Andre Affleck wrote:

He was a great and well respected man with a wealth of information. I would consider him one of the leading authorities in the field of digital capture. He will be deeply missed.

sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 8,956
Worst news I have read on DPreview in a long while

Always a voice of reason. I eagerly followed his posts, and learned much.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +10 more
joshreeter Forum Member • Posts: 56
Re: He will be missed...

I never had the opportunity to speak to Gabor, but by the responses I know he was a very genuine person..

I'm interested in his RawAnalyzer program could anyone direct me to where I can find information about it?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads