Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 Nokton mounted to Sony NEX-5

Started Aug 10, 2010 | Discussions
Mimaki Forum Member • Posts: 56
Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 Nokton mounted to Sony NEX-5

Hi all,

Here are a couple of quick photos (taken wide open) using the CV 35/1.4 Nokton on the NEX... will test for smearing at infinity tomorrow morning at multiple apertures.

seachicken2000
seachicken2000 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,237
Re: Voigtländer 35mm 1.4 Nokton mounted to Sony NEX-5

Looks awesome on the camera. Looking forward to seeing samples from this lens.
It's a great lens, hopefully it will agree with the NEX.
--
A rose by any other name is still a chicken.

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R +21 more
Panerex New Member • Posts: 17

Nice.
Is that a novoflex adapter ?

P.

Panerex's gear list:Panerex's gear list
Leica M10 Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH
chekist
chekist Senior Member • Posts: 2,418

Great combo. I just recently discovered how well those work together - with 40mm F1.4.

I am a bit concern that now I will empty all the stores of their Voigtlanders.
--
--
Eugene
http://fratkinphoto.com

chekist's gear list:chekist's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB Sony RX1 Ricoh Theta S DxO One (2016) Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
Rob13 Senior Member • Posts: 1,116

I'm sure the photos came out razor sharp, however, I think its difficult to tell from what's posted, as the snaps have been resized considerably.

The great thing about the 35 is that its small, fast and comparably much lighter than the 35 f/1.2 Nokton or the 35 Summilux.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Rob
------------------------------------
M6 M7 M8u R3A NEX-3 G2 G11 DP2

Rob13's gear list:Rob13's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Samsung Galaxy S4 Sony Xperia ZR
SixDasher Senior Member • Posts: 1,710

Nice combination.

Can you post a full-size color version of this please? Looks really intersting and am thinking about getting the same lens for my Nex.

-- hide signature --

Ai-S all the way!

eliaspt Regular Member • Posts: 179

Yes, they seem to be good pics, but are too small, specially in my 1920x1200 screen.

Thanks

rurouni Regular Member • Posts: 427

Hi Chekist,

Could you share more about how you're finding the 40/1.4 Voigtlander on your NEX? I'm more comfortable working with 35mm lenses on 1.5x crop bodies so while the 40/1.4 is tempting size wise compared to the 35/1.4, I'm wondering how a 60mm FOV works for daily street shots or environmental portraits.

Could you share some more shots with your NEX/40/1.4 combi when its convenient for you?

Thanks!

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

The 35 and 40 are nearly identical in size. The 35 is slightly shorter and heavier.

Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Great shots ! I am planning to get a Voigtlander Nokton 40mm 1.4. Currently I am thinking of getting it or the 50mm f1.5 lens

I heard that the 50mm f1.1 is great, but it is a little bit out of my budger (my budget is around 500).

If you have used any ot the above mentioned lenses, please share your experiences.

-Nivedita

chekist wrote:

Great combo. I just recently discovered how well those work together - with 40mm F1.4.

I am a bit concern that now I will empty all the stores of their Voigtlanders.
--
--
Eugene

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Phase One Capture One Pro
chekist

I found 40mm great focal length for 1.5 for portraits. I do not know, since I have not used 35mm, but I suspect that the differences are negligible.

Quality of lens is great - solid, smooth. IQ is generally very high - it is a bit soft 1.4 (still 100% usable), but quickly becomes tack sharp. There are some chromatic aberrations, especially wide open. I would say this is the only serious flaw. But when I call it flaw, I am comparing it to something like Nikon 24-70mm, not Sony 16mm. There are occasional flare and such, but to me this more of lens personality than flaw.

Overall very pleased. I got Voigtlander 12mm as well. This was the main thing that I needed to seriously look at NEX as a system. If 40mm is a nice addition. 12mm is a must! I have to have a good quality wide to shoot the camera:

Unquestionably less sharp than 40mm, but still very good and color is great.
--
--
Eugene

Lytro Light Field 8GB Sony RX1 Ricoh Theta S DxO One (2016) Olympus PEN E-PL5 +6 more
chekist

No, but I feel your pain. I was thinking the same thing. I ended up going for 40mm for the flollowing reasons:
1) It is way more affordable
2) It is way lighter and smaller
3) It is hard enough to focus at 1.4, 1.1 would be even more so...

4) I do not shoot a lot at 1.4. DoF is great when you see it for the first time, but it really limits the composition.
--
--
Eugene

Waiting on the 35mm f1.4 version. This is also why I like the NEX. In combination with the CV35 it will be an inconspicuous combination and still produce high quality shots. Modern retro!

-- hide signature --

Ai-S all the way!

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

chekist wrote:

I found 40mm great focal length for 1.5 for portraits. I do not know, since I have not used 35mm, but I suspect that the differences are negligible.

Quality of lens is great - solid, smooth. IQ is generally very high - it is a bit soft 1.4 (still 100% usable), but quickly becomes tack sharp. There are some chromatic aberrations, especially wide open. I would say this is the only serious flaw. But when I call it flaw, I am comparing it to something like Nikon 24-70mm, not Sony 16mm. There are occasional flare and such, but to me this more of lens personality than flaw.

Overall very pleased. I got Voigtlander 12mm as well. This was the main thing that I needed to seriously look at NEX as a system. If 40mm is a nice addition. 12mm is a must! I have to have a good quality wide to shoot the camera:

Unquestionably less sharp than 40mm, but still very good and color is great.
--
--
Eugene

Color seems to be the main issue with that CV 12mm. Look at all the purple at the edges of that shot (that's why Leica codes lenses. it automatically removes that color cast.) Sharpness seems good, though.

The Leice is also 5x the price

-- hide signature --

Ai-S all the way!

chekist

this is true. Luckily due to the crop worst of the problems are removed. But I think I still love the color, especially given that there aren't any other options.
--
--
Eugene

OP Mimaki Forum Member • Posts: 56

Panerex wrote:

Nice.
Is that a novoflex adapter ?

P.

Hi, its a Rayqual adaptor, good news is that the lens does not appear to cause smearing when shot at Infinity.

Mario Mejia Contributing Member • Posts: 631

Nice Pics.

How large are this lens compared to the 18/55?
They seem to be smaller....

MBlackburn Contributing Member • Posts: 811

Some great pics in here, really impressive.

Just got my M-adapter from Kon and tried the 21mm F4 Color Skopar which usually sits on my M6; fits a treat and results (dark, rainy patio snap shots for now) look good to me. I like this lens, doesn't cost much either.

-- hide signature --
 MBlackburn's gear list:MBlackburn's gear list
Sony RX100 VI
MBlackburn Contributing Member • Posts: 811

deleted, sorry all
--
http://www.mikeblackburn.com

MBlackburn's gear list:MBlackburn's gear list
Sony RX100 VI
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads