Does your TX5 peel its color, mine did.

Started Aug 9, 2010 | Discussions
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,763
Does your TX5 peel its color, mine did.

My TX5 was a nice dark-gunmetal - but after a week near the ocean the color peeled off and the cover is now shiny silver.

After some time in the water (salty or not) the paint get soft and starts to peel on the very edges - this will start the process as once it start peeling the next submersion in water will help more and more color peel. Well after like 10% peeled off, I simply took the rest off with my fingernail as it looked bad half peeled. Now I can use the cover as a mirror - is sliver and nice shiny.

I don't mind, but it is first time any waterproof camera got their paintjob peeled off (I used pentax and Sanyo before)

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,350
Re: Does your TX5 peel its color, mine did.

As a matter of interest, did you have suntan lotion on your hands when handling the camera?

-- hide signature --

Busch

Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.

http://www.pbase.com/busch

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +12 more
rlanel New Member • Posts: 1

Our TX5 did not even go near the ocean, just the shower (my daughter played with it taking pictures while in the bathroom), it was also the sliding lens cover's paint that suddenly peeled on one part then slowly formed bubbles. All this in just a matter of hours from the "soaking" in the shower. We did the same thing and just peeled of the rest of the paint/plastic coating.

Cy Cheze Senior Member • Posts: 2,028
But did the camera fail or get "steamy"

So Sony could not even coat the TX5 with a marine-grade epoxy enamel? Did engineering, misunderstanding the spec request, use water color paint?

The TX5 paint failure may be merely "cosmetic," but might it portend more serious flaws? If the paint can't stand up to seawater or a shower, what about the tolerance of the buttons or battery seals to submersion?

Has any TX5 owner taken it below the waves dozens or hundreds of times? Does water vapor appear on the lens? Does the LCD go bad? Does it eventually fail? What happens if, inadvertently, it goes below 10' 3m? How much TLC is required to maintain or replace the seals?

TechOutsider Senior Member • Posts: 2,979
Re: But did the camera fail or get

That's a very good point, but even expensive products - e.g. iPhone 4 - have design flaws in them that become embarrassingly obvious when released to the general public - not found by months of development by some of the brightest engineers and field testing.

And it's not always the name that get's put on the product's fault. White iPhones were delayed because their supplier couldn't produce a high-enough quality paint consistently.

Cy Cheze wrote:

So Sony could not even coat the TX5 with a marine-grade epoxy enamel? Did engineering, misunderstanding the spec request, use water color paint?

Many "waterproof" cameras end up failing no matter what.

Take Olympus and their waterproof cameras. Their warranty doesn't cover water damage. If water damages the camera, then it's the user's fault.

And another brand of waterproof camera makers (Casio?) require users to send the camera back to them every year for maintenance. Maintenance costs 20 bucks a pop. If you don't send it back, you voided the warranty.

Yeah, the tough camera market is kinda of shady. But Sony isn't the worst.

Nonetheless, if only some manufacture could step up and offer lifetime warranties and honor the warranty if the camera leaks instead of assuming that the user didn't tighten this seal or whatever!

Guess it's mostly about the biggest profit margin - cheap manufacturing, cheap materials, cheap build :s.

The TX5 paint failure may be merely "cosmetic," but might it portend more serious flaws? If the paint can't stand up to seawater or a shower, what about the tolerance of the buttons or battery seals to submersion?

Has any TX5 owner taken it below the waves dozens or hundreds of times? Does water vapor appear on the lens? Does the LCD go bad? Does it eventually fail? What happens if, inadvertently, it goes below 10' 3m? How much TLC is required to maintain or replace the seals?

Four by Six Regular Member • Posts: 183

I've been using a Pentax W30 for years as my kayaking camera. Both freshwater and saltwater. I also use it as my pool camera, and hold it underwater all the time.

This summer, I took a Disney cruise and while snorkeling, it fell off my hand while helping my wife with her life jacket, and I could not find it due to murky conditions. It sat at the bottom of the saltwater lagoon for a week before eventually washing ashore and being discovered by an agent that looked at the pics, remembered my kids, and tracked down my address and sent it to me. The pics were intact, and my camera still works great.

Perhaps manufactures are forgetting the reason people buy these cameras. Despite owning and loving an E-PL1 camera, my W30 still gets used every week.

PDavis Regular Member • Posts: 461

I had mine in the pool and ocean a lot this summer and it is not peeling at all. It is the silver color.

PDavis's gear list:PDavis's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +1 more
enek New Member • Posts: 1

I have the black model and the paint is peeling off the lens cover as well. I actually just sent mine back because the lens fogged up indefinitely during a short time in a pool and suddenly the camera won't recognize my battery. It says the camera can only be used with a genuine Sony battery. Hopefully the warranty will cover fixing it. I've sent it back to Sony to get fixed.

As for the paint peeling off, it happened pretty fast. I plan to scratch the rest of it off when I get it back from it's repairs.

-- hide signature --

Tied Up In Knots...

Gil_W Regular Member • Posts: 219
Sony offering to repair/replace peeled lens covers on TX5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads