System Camera Sales FY 2007-2010

Started Aug 8, 2010 | Discussions
winedarksea Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
System Camera Sales FY 2007-2010

Below is a chart developed from information that Cheng Bao cited on a DPR thread two days ago. In a couple of years of searching, these numbers represent the most definitive information about the worldwide dslr/system camera market I have found. Moreover, it conforms roughly to charts posted last year on a Swedish site, which showed the dslr market at over nine million units in calendar year 2008, Nikon as having almost overtaken Canon between 2006 & 2008, & Sony as having reached 13% market share in 2008. (Please note: that was in calendar years, whereas the chart below is in fiscal years ending March 31. The closest thing to calendar year 2009 is FY 2010.)

The first thing to note is that the dslr/system camera market increased by 81% worldwide from FY2007 to FY2010, and increased substantially in every single one of the successive years. In spite of a massive depression, this market segment has been rapidly growing.

Furthermore, please note that Sony, except in FY2008, has been in a strong third position, ending in FY2010 with almost as much of the market as all of the rest of the non-Canikon companies combined--in spite of the presence of the M4/3 cameras on the market. And please recognize that Sony increased its market share in FY2010 over FY 2009--selling 200,000 more cameras. That has to mean that those much-maligned A2xx/3xx/5xx cameras did very well, in spite of all predictions.

The only brands that increased market share in this period were Olympus, Panasonic, & Sony. (It is probable, based on Japanese numbers, that Samsung has already increased market share in this new fiscal year, but at very low absolute numbers. Sony meanwhile has very likely dramatically increased its worldwide market share this summer.)

This 10% market share worldwide, by the way, is exactly what Toru Katsumoto said it was in his December interview, so that lends credence to his other numbers.

In any case, many discussions revolve around issues of Sony's success or failure in the marketplace. This doesn't give us camera by camera facts, but the closest thing to it I have seen.

Based on these numbers, I would say that Pentax is in the most trouble, having lost 44% of its market share from FY2007 to FY2010, while selling the same number of units, 300,000. Carl says they have some strong new cameras coming. They sure need them. The BCN numbers for the first six months of calendar year 2010, by the way, show the same Pentax slide, down into a deep hole in last place anong the top six companies. All this in spite of the claimed huge success of the K-x.

And please note that Sony's gain in units sold, between FY2008 & FY2010 was 600,000 cameras--more than Nikon's gain of 580,000. This at a time when Sony wasn't fully cranked up, as I believe it is now. Nikon has to do better than that if it wants to stay ahead. Remember that David Kilpatrick says that Nikon is in trouble, that its Coolpix division has been doing terribly, & heads have rolled.

I worked out the market share number from the absolute numbers, and could have made mistakes, so I would appreciate it if everyone would check it out.

-- hide signature --

Dulaney
A700; SAL 50 f1.4; SAL 18-250; CZ 85 f1.4

OP winedarksea Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
Re: System Camera Sales FY 2007-2010

Btw, the chart is a jpeg & can be enlarged like a photograph by positioning the cursor in the chart & clicking--thus making it a whole lot easier to read..
--
Dulaney

Danel Senior Member • Posts: 2,905

winedarksea wrote:

Below is a chart developed from information that Cheng Bao cited on a DPR thread two days ago. In a couple of years of searching, these numbers represent the most definitive information about the worldwide dslr/system camera market I have found. Moreover, it conforms roughly to charts posted last year on a Swedish site, which showed the dslr market at over nine million units in calendar year 2008, Nikon as having almost overtaken Canon between 2006 & 2008, & Sony as having reached 13% market share in 2008. (Please note: that was in calendar years, whereas the chart below is in fiscal years ending March 31. The closest thing to calendar year 2009 is FY 2010.)

The first thing to note is that the dslr/system camera market increased by 81% worldwide from FY2007 to FY2010, and increased substantially in every single one of the successive years. In spite of a massive depression, this market segment has been rapidly growing.

Furthermore, please note that Sony, except in FY2008, has been in a strong third position, ending in FY2010 with almost as much of the market as all of the rest of the non-Canikon companies combined--in spite of the presence of the M4/3 cameras on the market. And please recognize that Sony increased its market share in FY2010 over FY 2009--selling 200,000 more cameras. That has to mean that those much-maligned A2xx/3xx/5xx cameras did very well, in spite of all predictions.

The only brands that increased market share in this period were Olympus, Panasonic, & Sony. (It is probable, based on Japanese numbers, that Samsung has already increased market share in this new fiscal year, but at very low absolute numbers. Sony meanwhile has very likely dramatically increased its worldwide market share this summer.)

This 10% market share worldwide, by the way, is exactly what Toru Katsumoto said it was in his December interview, so that lends credence to his other numbers.

In any case, many discussions revolve around issues of Sony's success or failure in the marketplace. This doesn't give us camera by camera facts, but the closest thing to it I have seen.

Based on these numbers, I would say that Pentax is in the most trouble, having lost 44% of its market share from FY2007 to FY2010, while selling the same number of units, 300,000. Carl says they have some strong new cameras coming. They sure need them. The BCN numbers for the first six months of calendar year 2010, by the way, show the same Pentax slide, down into a deep hole in last place anong the top six companies. All this in spite of the claimed huge success of the K-x.

And please note that Sony's gain in units sold, between FY2008 & FY2010 was 600,000 cameras--more than Nikon's gain of 580,000. This at a time when Sony wasn't fully cranked up, as I believe it is now. Nikon has to do better than that if it wants to stay ahead. Remember that David Kilpatrick says that Nikon is in trouble, that its Coolpix division has been doing terribly, & heads have rolled.

Actually, FY2008 to FY2010 shows a gain of 700,000 cameras for Sony according to the chart.

Don't be surprised if you don't get much of a response to these numbers because they are generally positive for Sony and refute the doom and gloom opinion many in this forum have towards Sony. Now if you had some numbers showing Sony's market share getting hammered down to nearly nothing you would have a 150 post thread in no time.

Perhaps Sony is not as inept when it comes to selling DSLRs as some on this forum seem to think. I would love to see what the numbers look like now in terms of market share with the wildly popular NEX cameras now on the market. In almost no time, the NEX forum seems to rival this forum in terms of the number of threads started. I suppose some would argue that NEX cameras aren't really DSLRs.

I worked out the market share number from the absolute numbers, and could have made mistakes, so I would appreciate it if everyone would check it out.

-- hide signature --

Dulaney

Danel's gear list:Danel's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon PowerShot G15 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +5 more
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,694

Danel wrote:

Perhaps Sony is not as inept when it comes to selling DSLRs as some on this forum seem to think. I would love to see what the numbers look like now in terms of market share with the wildly popular NEX cameras now on the market. In almost no time, the NEX forum seems to rival this forum in terms of the number of threads started. I suppose some would argue that NEX cameras aren't really DSLRs.

Apparently "System Camera" would include NEX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_camera
--
AEH
http://aehass.zenfolio.com/
Question: What do you do all week?
Answer: Mon to Fri. Nothing, Sat & Sun I rest!

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
qZar Regular Member • Posts: 199

I'm still hoping that Sony target group is relatively young and inexperienced, and they will evolve into advanced group soon. This will build a demand for more advanced cameras and should be the real motivator to provide a7xx&a9xx.

OldScotch Contributing Member • Posts: 682
Something seems odd here

Increases of 80% to 100% in less than five months of 2010 over the whole of 2007?

That doesn't seem right, not with the economic figures I keep hearing.

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

Danel wrote:

Apparently "System Camera" would include NEX.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_camera
--
AEH

yes, system cameras include all interchangeable lens cameras, as I understand it. Several people have said that it s the term used in their countries, not dslrs. But these fiscal years end, of course, before the NEX cameras were introduced.
--
Dulaney

mike_2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,635

This is extremely useful, thanks.

mike_2008's gear list:mike_2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Re: Something seems odd here

OldScotch wrote:

Increases of 80% to 100% in less than five months of 2010 over the whole of 2007?

These are fiscal years--so FY2010 ends on March 31 2010, FY2009 on March 31 2009, etc. So we have a complete year for FY2010
--
Dulaney

mike_2008 wrote:

This is extremely useful, thanks.

Thank you. It certainly has clarified some things for me.
--
Dulaney

ZeevK
ZeevK Contributing Member • Posts: 835

winedarksea wrote:

OldScotch wrote:

These are fiscal years--so FY2010 ends on March 31 2010, FY2009 on March 31 2009, etc. So we have a complete year for FY2010
--
Dulaney

So the figures for 2010 do not include the NEX-Effect, correct?
--
ZeevK
http://picasaweb.google.com/KantorZeev

ZeevK's gear list:ZeevK's gear list
Sony a7R III
Ed at Ridersite Forum Pro • Posts: 19,694

ZeevK wrote:

Right.
--
AEH

Ed at Ridersite's gear list:Ed at Ridersite's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony SLT-A68 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II
Jim Cockfield Forum Pro • Posts: 16,342
IDC has annual reports

IDC has annual reports showing world wide market share. But, they'll run you $3500 each.

Here's an example:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=223076&sessionId=281E140C69EC2A5949E76C0B63757876

They used to put out press releases with some of the numbers, which were quoted by a number of digital camera related sites. But, AFAIK, they haven't done that since April 2008 (when the 2007 numbers were reported).

-- hide signature --
Lucas_
Lucas_ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,084
I'm not surprised...

Danel wrote:

Actually, FY2008 to FY2010 shows a gain of 700,000 cameras for Sony according to the chart.

Don't be surprised if you don't get much of a response to these numbers because they are generally positive for Sony and refute the doom and gloom opinion many in this forum have towards Sony. Now if you had some numbers showing Sony's market share getting hammered down to nearly nothing you would have a 150 post thread in no time.

HeHeHe... sad but quite true!

If the NEX system would not be considered, neither of the M2/3s could...!

Anyway, as my subject line says, those are the numbers I actually expected, regardless all the negativity on this Forum.

... Lucas
--
Always having fun with photography ...

Starting a new gallery: http://lucaspix.smugmug.com/

Lucas_'s gear list:Lucas_'s gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) +41 more
fjbyrne
fjbyrne Veteran Member • Posts: 8,404

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

ZeevK wrote:

Right.

Wow. So sales are probably even better.

I am glad Sony is selling a lot of cameras. They have made a real push in the entry-level market as well as the mirror-less NEX. Now if we could only get a little attention at the top end

-- hide signature --

Rick

fjbyrne's gear list:fjbyrne's gear list
Sony a7 III Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony a6000 +13 more

ZeevK wrote:

winedarksea wrote:

OldScotch wrote:

--
Dulaney

--
ZeevK
http://picasaweb.google.com/KantorZeev

correct

-- hide signature --

Dulaney

fjbyrne wrote:

Ed at Ridersite wrote:

ZeevK wrote:

Right.

Wow. So sales are probably even better.

I am glad Sony is selling a lot of cameras. They have made a real push in the entry-level market as well as the mirror-less NEX. Now if we could only get a little attention at the top end

Yes, indeed, Rick. And I think this helps.
--
Dulaney

Re: IDC has annual reports

Jim Cockfield wrote:

IDC has annual reports showing world wide market share. But, they'll run you $3500 each.

Here's an example:

http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=223076&sessionId=281E140C69EC2A5949E76C0B63757876

They used to put out press releases with some of the numbers, which were quoted by a number of digital camera related sites. But, AFAIK, they haven't done that since April 2008 (when the 2007 numbers were reported).

All of these studies would cost thousands.
--
Dulaney

ThórM Regular Member • Posts: 187

Well done, thank you.

Next years figures should be even better, thanks to NEX and the forthcoming models, incl. the A33 + A55. I'm sure they will do quite well.

Despite the bickerings in a number of forums, the release of the A2xx-3xx models was the right strategy to both enter the market and to grow market share. I have posrted this before, I know quite a few people who own these A2xx-3xx models. None of them ever owned a DSLR before. And, as another poster already mentioned, some will upgrade to higher end models.

Again, thanks for putting the stats together.

ThórM's gear list:ThórM's gear list
Sigma dp2 Quattro Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R II Sony a6300 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +5 more

PLease thank Cheng Bao, whoses citation on a dpr forum two days ago led me to the figures. Also check out Cheng Bao's graph, as referenced on my chart.
--
Dulaney

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads