"Can You Believe Yours Eyes

Started Aug 2, 2010 | Discussions
lizzie b Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
"Can You Believe Yours Eyes
Laurentiu Todie
Laurentiu Todie Senior Member • Posts: 2,567
Re: "Can You Believe Yours Eyes

"It's not just news editors who frown on doctored images - a manipulated picture is not admissible in court as legal evidence."

If the court can tell a doctored picture, it wasn't doctored well for that use.
Signs of manipulation can be concealed down to the EXIF data.

Boxbrownie Contributing Member • Posts: 507

If the originator of the image is required to testify the image is not manipulated and then found to be corrupting evidence, would you be willing to face perjury charges and a jail sentence, no professional I have ever worked with would!

Which is exactly why every image I take professionally is recorded in RAW and that RAW image is then stored along with the finished/adjusted image so that if in the future the image is required for evidential puirposes I can produce the RAW image along with the "adjusted/manipulated" image and testify truthfully that that RAW image is faithful, even if a RAW image can be altered the judge/authorities will take my testimony that the image is a faithful representation of the original scene.

Best regards David

Boxbrownie's gear list:Boxbrownie's gear list
Nikon D7200
JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,872

I can't believe my eyes that the guy does the retouching so badly. If I did that to our clients pictures they would not be very happy. Not a great intro to retouching really.
jules

lizzie b wrote:

in the Digital World"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10558258

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

mikeval Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

JulesJ wrote:

I can't believe my eyes that the guy does the retouching so badly. If I did that to our clients pictures they would not be very happy. Not a great intro to retouching really.

Agreed, but then it was a very quick demo for the uninitiated, and in fairness he did say that more time should be spent on it (or words to that effect).

bremzer Regular Member • Posts: 120
Raw vs jpeg: same difference

When it comes to the trust that can be afforded a piece of digital recording, camera-manufactured raw is in no way superior to the camera-manufactured jpeg.

To someone who only uses "pre-written" software, apparently fewer programs that one has access to in order to manipulate raw images vs. relative abundance of programs that will manipulate jpegs might suggest that there is something inherent in the file type that makes raw more difficult to forge. That is far from being the case: both are just a stream of 1's and 0's, and even a modicum of understanding of what the interpretation of those 1's and 0's is enables one to write a perfectly serviceable forging program. Consequently, a digital image should never be consider trustworthy on its own, whether raw or jpeg.

To what extent and under what circumstances should the courts believe "experts" who endeavor to bestow trust in proposed "objects of evidence" is a different discussion altogether.

bremzer

robogobo Forum Member • Posts: 84
Re: Raw vs jpeg: same difference

photoshop 101. move along, nothing to see here.

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 44,872

Yup.
Jules

mikeval wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

Agreed, but then it was a very quick demo for the uninitiated, and in fairness he did say that more time should be spent on it (or words to that effect).

-- hide signature --

Julesarnia on twitter

OP lizzie b Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re:

Aside from concerns over digital manipulation of images used in the Courts another major area of ongoing concern is the retouching of images in magazines and their effect upon young female's self esteem. Numerous studies have brought this to light but editors often insist that it helps sales.

From the BBC news website

"Britain's biggest group of girls, the Girl Guides, are launching a campaign to get every air brushed magazine image labelled, and it's planning to take the campaign all the way to Downing Street.

The BBC's Jenny Hill has spoken to girls at the Guides' centenary camp in West Yorkshire, who say they are put under pressure by the pictures. "

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10865582

This is of course very different from the use of retouching Jules refers to in his portraiture business.

Lizzie

Laurentiu Todie
Laurentiu Todie Senior Member • Posts: 2,567
Re:

With all the "reality" shows around, we forget what reality is.

bremzer Regular Member • Posts: 120
more "fine print"?

lizzie b wrote:

"Britain's biggest group of girls, the Girl Guides, are launching a campaign to get every air brushed magazine image labelled, and it's planning to take the campaign all the way to Downing Street.

How sad, when you think of it: instead of using time and resources to teach a young person to recognize and reject a lie, they demand that the government forces yet another class of vendors to put in some "fine print". The generation that grows up now needs to be educated to understand that all images offered by commercial interests should be highly suspect, not that the government (generally a mere agent of those interests) will somehow protect them.

bremzer

nikbod Forum Member • Posts: 99

Its been going on for years.

I have been in photography since leaving school, I am now 63, this has been going on for Years and Years, it's nothing new..

Sorry

OP lizzie b Senior Member • Posts: 1,116
Re:

Laurentiu Todie wrote:

With all the "reality" shows around, we forget what reality is.

True unfortunately.

Andy Warhol was wrong when he predicted "In the future everyone will be famous for 15 minutes" in Reality shows it's hours and hours. Can't stand them myself.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads