Use Canon FD/FL lenses on your Pentax.

Started Aug 1, 2010 | Discussions
brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337
Use Canon FD/FL lenses on your Pentax.

Got any old Canon FD/FL lenses laying around going unused? Something I've never seen before. I just found these on ebay if anyone is interested.

Use Canon FD/FL lenses on your Pentax SLR camera

Product Features

• Allow Canon FD manual focus lenses to be mounted on Pentax film and digital SLR cameras

• Focus to infinity

• FD lens lock, Multi Coated Optical Glass correction lens

Just do a search for "FD PK" at ebay.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Ron - 'We don't have time to go take pics this afternoon Carl.'
Carl - 'What do you mean? It will only take 1/1000s.'

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

Peter Jonkman Senior Member • Posts: 1,007
Re: Use Canon FD/FL lenses on your Pentax.

Thanks Ron! Would be nice to be able to use my Canon FD 85mm F1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical again, but I'm not to keen on glass adapters...

OP brandrx Forum Pro • Posts: 28,337

Peter Jonkman wrote:

Thanks Ron! Would be nice to be able to use my Canon FD 85mm F1.2 S.S.C. Aspherical again, but I'm not to keen on glass adapters...

So, what are you using that Canon FD 85mm F1.2 for now, a paperweight?

EDIT: The registration distance of FD is 42mm and PK is 45.46 so if the glass in the adapter is removed it would be like putting on 3.56mm extension tube. Hmmmm....I wonder how far that FD 85mm would focus then. I wish I had an old FD lens to try out myself. It would be an interesting experiment.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

'Keep your eyes looking forward. However, glance back now and then to see where you've come from. It will put a smile on your face.' ~ brandrx

brandrx wrote:

Peter Jonkman wrote:

It's hard to argue about that... Of course you are completely right!

EDIT: The registration distance of FD is 42mm and PK is 45.46 so if the glass in the adapter is removed it would be like putting on 3.56mm extension tube. Hmmmm....I wonder how far that FD 85mm would focus then. I wish I had an old FD lens to try out myself. It would be an interesting experiment.

Actually with the 85mm it would still be good at portrait distances (headshots). I have tried this by holding the lens to the bayonet of my Pentax. Maybe I shouild buy two adapters and remove the glass from one of them.

Peter...

Peter Jonkman wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Peter Jonkman wrote:

Actually with the 85mm it would still be good at portrait distances (headshots). I have tried this by holding the lens to the bayonet of my Pentax. Maybe I shouild buy two adapters and remove the glass from one of them.

Or just buy one and try it with the glass to see how it works. Then remove the glass to try without. You can always buy a second one later if it looks like the one with glass will work OK. That's what I would do.

EDIT: Did you see where I have been testing a Nikon-PK adapter (has glass correction) using a Nikon 400mm f2.8 on my Pentax DSLR?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=35885242

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Re: Peter...

brandrx wrote:

Peter Jonkman wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Peter Jonkman wrote:

Or just buy one and try it with the glass to see how it works. Then remove the glass to try without. You can always buy a second one later if it looks like the one with glass will work OK. That's what I would do.

EDIT: Did you see where I have been testing a Nikon-PK adapter (has glass correction) using a Nikon 400mm f2.8 on my Pentax DSLR?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=35885242

Yes, Ron, I saw that topic (of course!). But I'm not a fan of adding glass to already good glass. You will not even see me mounting a filter on any of my lenses. I want uncompromised IQ which I feel cannot be achieved by using teleconverters or filters.

But I will buy one such adapter and show my findings here. Thanks again for bringing the adapter to my attention!

MusicDoctorDJ Forum Pro • Posts: 12,400

I have a whole slew of Canon FD & FL lenses . . .

Might have to give this a try!

-- hide signature --

J. D.
Colorado

UtahManSir Veteran Member • Posts: 4,659

brandrx wrote:

Ron I have a 20mm Cosina in FD mount and a 50mm f1.8 I could bring tomorrow? Interested?

Lloyd
--

“For every problem there is a solution which is simple, clean and wrong.” Henry Louis Mencken

http://lloydshell.blogspot.com/
http://lloydshell.zenfolio.com/
WSSA #354

JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,971

Hi Ron!

EDIT: The registration distance of FD is 42mm and PK is 45.46 so if the glass in the adapter is removed it would be like putting on 3.56mm extension tube.

That would only be the case if the adapter sat flush on the PK surface. By looking at the auction pics, I'd guesstimate the additional distance at around 5mm, together with the 3.5 you mentioned, that's a rather hefty 8.5mm.

I've bought a cheap FD lens to see whether I could swap the mounts, but it's harder than feared, even after having read other descriptions...

FD's time will come again when there is a full-frame EViL...

...until then I guess APS-C and µ4/3 EViLs are the other solutions for those who do not want adapters with lenses.

Cheers
Jens

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
'I don't own lenses. I pwn lenses.' (2009)
My Homepage: http://www.JensRoesner.de

Jens...

JensR wrote:

Hi Ron!

Hi Jens.

EDIT: The registration distance of FD is 42mm and PK is 45.46 so if the glass in the adapter is removed it would be like putting on 3.56mm extension tube.

That would only be the case if the adapter sat flush on the PK surface. By looking at the auction pics, I'd guesstimate the additional distance at around 5mm, together with the 3.5 you mentioned, that's a rather hefty 8.5mm.

You're right Jens. This old brain is just not thinking like it used to.

I've bought a cheap FD lens to see whether I could swap the mounts, but it's harder than feared, even after having read other descriptions...

FD's time will come again when there is a full-frame EViL...

...until then I guess APS-C and µ4/3 EViLs are the other solutions for those who do not want adapters with lenses.

Since I don't have, need, or want any FD lenses i think it is time to put this idea to rest......for me at least. However, I will keep my eye out to see if anyone in the forum gives these things a try. It would be interesting to see the results just for the sake of curiosity.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Lloyd...

UtahManSir wrote:

brandrx wrote:

Ron I have a 20mm Cosina in FD mount and a 50mm f1.8 I could bring tomorrow? Interested?

Hi Lloyd,

Not interested but thanks anyway. See my reply to Jens.

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

lmd91343 New Member • Posts: 21

I bought one of those "scoptic" brands to try. I wanted it for my Vivitar S1 90-180 flat field and Canon 400/4.5.

Here is a test from the 90-180:
90mm wide open:

180mm wide open:

180mm f8:

If anybody wants, I'll upload the test shots from the 400/4.5.
--
-Lance D.

Lance D.

lmd91343 wrote:

I bought one of those "scoptic" brands to try. I wanted it for my Vivitar S1 90-180 flat field and Canon 400/4.5.

If anybody wants, I'll upload the test shots from the 400/4.5.

Those shots from the Vivitar 90-180mm look pretty good to me.

I would like to see some shots from the Canon 400mm f4.5

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

AKozik Regular Member • Posts: 443

I cannot understand why folks make a difficulties for them self and then try to find way how to resolve problem.

If someone has nice Canon lens(s) why he/she try to attach Canon to Pentax with some degree of degradation and limitations.
Just buy used Canon for $200-300 and be happy. Or this is kind of sport?
With respect
Alex

MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,646

Why climb Mount Everest? or for that matter why bother trying to achieve anything? Or improve ones self and ones options?

simple answer

Because we can!
--
Mike from Canada

'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509

brandrx wrote:

Got any old Canon FD/FL lenses laying around going unused? Something I've never seen before. I just found these on ebay if anyone is interested.

Use Canon FD/FL lenses on your Pentax SLR camera

Product Features

• Allow Canon FD manual focus lenses to be mounted on Pentax film and digital SLR cameras

• Focus to infinity

• FD lens lock, Multi Coated Optical Glass correction lens

Just do a search for "FD PK" at ebay.

Cheers.

Ron

Thanks Ron

I do think it would be too much of a compromise for the FD lenses I have looked at over the last few years......have been looking at a few as I had a feeling they would be useful again and cheap....maybe i will get one just in case.

FD (good) lenses USED to be cheap.....I fear I have missed the boat (just as with some nice Pentax lenses and the Nikon manual focus 200 f2).

Lenses from FD that I would not mind but are out of my reach and just the sort of lens you would not want to use with a glass adapter but if ever cheap enough (or I was rich enough) would get just on spec to play with

The concave 35 f2 (this one could be in reach)

50 1.2 aspherical L (one of these will come my way at some point....should have got one a year or two ago when I didnt want to pay maybe $100 more...now it is several hundred more mostly)

55mm 1.2 aspherical (the prices of these are nuts)

85 1.2 L (like the 50 1.2 these were in reach only two years ago).

24 1.4 aspherical L ( I am dreamin')

200 1.8 L I actually came within days of getting a UGLY one on KEH (I think it was two years ago for still over $1000, it is the same lens as the 200 1.8 EF mount with just the mount changed and that is supposed to be the sharpest lens pretty much ever....that is too much money now plus the prices have gone up a lot with good fd lenses.

300 2.8 fluorite (Surely Ron you have one already?)

There are a couple of zooms that may well be in reach...a short range 24-35 L zoom and a cheapish L 100-300 5.6 zoom.

I keep buying other things instead of things like these that really are investments.

neil
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26884588@N00/

Sergio SF Regular Member • Posts: 189

I have a few FD lenses stashed away somewhere. Canon 50mm 1.8 and I think a 200mm non-Canon but still FD. They came with Canon AE1-Program kit that I bought, aahh, in 1983.

It turns out that I could use the filters that I had with it - 52mm, fit the WR lens.

Would be interested in finding if using as adapter would be worth it. I mean if the adapter is inexpensive enough

Cheerious!

JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,971

AKozik wrote:

I cannot understand why folks make a difficulties for them self and then try to find way how to resolve problem.

If someone has nice Canon lens(s) why he/she try to attach Canon to Pentax with some degree of degradation and limitations.
Just buy used Canon for $200-300 and be happy.

Canon FD isn't Canon EF ("EOS" = Canon AF).

Some Canon FD glass is still among the very best - optically, many EF primes are virtually identical to their FD counterparts.

But there is no dSLR that natively supports FD lenses. Because of the FD's short register distance (and the peculiar bayonet), no current SLR mount can mount them without an optical adapter (EVIL cameras excluded). So FD lenses are a good bit cheaper than comparable lenses, although prices are going up due to new demand.
Being able to utilise them more fully is a rather understandable wish, I think.

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
'I don't own lenses. I pwn lenses.' (2009)
My Homepage: http://www.JensRoesner.de

AKozik Regular Member • Posts: 443

Ah h. I got it. It is a sport.
My father thought me - if you need put nail in board use hammer not claw,

if you have to take hail out of board use claw not hammer. Still follow, seldom make mistakes.
Cheers
Alex

Adapter prices...

Sergio SF wrote:

I have a few FD lenses stashed away somewhere. Canon 50mm 1.8 and I think a 200mm non-Canon but still FD. They came with Canon AE1-Program kit that I bought, aahh, in 1983.

It turns out that I could use the filters that I had with it - 52mm, fit the WR lens.

Would be interested in finding if using as adapter would be worth it. I mean if the adapter is inexpensive enough

Adapters are US $20 to $35 on ebay.

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Cameras-Photo-/625/i.html?_nkw=fd+pk&_catref=1&_dmpt=Lens_Accessories&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Cheers.

Ron

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads