Sony NEX-5 and Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

Started Jul 30, 2010 | Discussions
heynowtest Regular Member • Posts: 399
Sony NEX-5 and Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit
Jogger
Jogger Veteran Member • Posts: 8,441
Re: Sony NEX-5 and Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit

Why dont you just stick the SD card in the ipod?

heynowtest wrote:

Got to play with a NEX-5 and the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-use-nex-5-with-apple-ipad-camera.html

http://sonyalphanex.blogspot.com/2010/07/how-to-use-nex-5-with-apple-ipad-camera.html

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Chippy99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,133

I have to say I would really like to buy the camera connection kit for my iPad (because I like buying gadgets - it's just the way I am!) but I struggle to see the point of it.

The fact is, you would be insane to buy and iPad and not have iTunes running somewhere. On a Mac or a PC doesn't matter but surely everyone with an iPad has one or the other and that's how they get their music onto the iPad.

So it's a trivial task to import your photos into iTunes and sync them across. And you can do far more with them on your computer (in terms of editing etc) than you ever could directly on the iPad.

Being able to load them directly using the connection kit might be "interesting", but isn't it ultimately pointless?

Or am I missing something?

(Admittedly, the kit does also do some undocumented things like supporting USB microphones so you can turn your iPad into an extremely high fidelity outside recording device, but Apple don't actually mention that.)

Chippy99's gear list:Chippy99's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +3 more
Knallberto Veteran Member • Posts: 5,478

he wants to show his iPad ... even if this application is senseless (and video extreme unsharp)

Davidgilmour Senior Member • Posts: 1,476

Can you import the mp4 files from your nex-5 too? I know you can't import mts files but the nex-5can also record in 1440 mp4.

Davidgilmour's gear list:Davidgilmour's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm X10 Sony RX1 Fujifilm X-A1 +1 more
Romeo Vidaic Forum Member • Posts: 66

no place for burner disc and store files when you go away for two weeks vacation. massive files need to be store. Small laptop would be better.

Bob Randall Forum Member • Posts: 99

Nex and iPad are great traveling tools. The ability to admire, store, modify and email those great pics is exactly why I would like to get my hands on the cable. I gave up a laptop to become more portable and don't pack it around. While on the road (boat), my choice is now limited to the cable or borrowing a computer for the above mentioned reasons.

Bob Randall's gear list:Bob Randall's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
jurado
jurado Regular Member • Posts: 397

As the designated photographer at -EVERY- party I go to (I'm sure many of you are stuck in the same situation) I use my iPad as a means of distributing photos with the least amount of effort on my end.

Lazy workflow:
1. Transfer images to ipad
2. Hand to nearest giddy girl.

3. They all browse through my images taken at the event (or through the 20k photos I've collected over my lifetime) and selectively e-mail photos to themselves. (non 3g version so it stores the photos in the outbox)

4. The more savvy ones know how to use photo enhancing/manipulating apps before sending images to themselves.

5. When I am in range of a wireless connection, the emails with attachments head out.
6. Instant popularity, and I didn't do shiza.

My biggest fear is that the iPad never finds its way back to me. Hasn't happened yet... thank god.

Can it be done on other hardware like a laptop? Yes. But nothing beats the iPad at the moment when it comes to presentation and simplicity- and that's all that non-photographers care about.

Things to look forward to:

1. The Blackpad. (Yes, blackberry is coming out with one. I wonder if it will work as an extension of their phones, much as the Fabled Palm Foleo)

2. Every windows tablet. These are the true game changers... but they're a bit late in the game.

jurado's gear list:jurado's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +10 more
Kirill_est Regular Member • Posts: 358

I prefer travelling with Vaio P.

::FD:: Junior Member • Posts: 25

I couldn't find this question answered anywhere so I purchased the iPad Camera Connection Kit and tried it myself.

Yes, it does import the mp4 files but you cannot view them on the iPad (it just creates an image that says "MP4". The movies are copied to the iPad. You can download the movies when the iPad is connected to your PC. Just open the iPad in Windows Explorer to transfer the images/movies.

This should be a great travel tool for me since I have a 32GB Memory Stick and 32GB iPad, it should be enough room to offload images/movies to the iPad as temporary storage for a short trip.

I am using the USB connector with the NEX-5 since I am using the Memory Stick format and not SD.

Davidgilmour wrote:

Can you import the mp4 files from your nex-5 too? I know you can't import mts files but the nex-5can also record in 1440 mp4.

Kirill_est Regular Member • Posts: 358

I still prefer travelling with Vaio P ... no iTunes or "camera connection kit" needed

macsoft Regular Member • Posts: 236

there was a video somewhere of some guy with an eyefi card, sending pics wirelessly to the ipad as each click. now that's the stuff!!
--
byMaC

Ozett Forum Member • Posts: 98

have you tried to read into iMovie on iPad?

Herts_JoaTMoN
Herts_JoaTMoN Contributing Member • Posts: 773

jurado wrote:

As the designated photographer at -EVERY- party I go to (I'm sure many of you are stuck in the same situation) I use my iPad as a means of distributing photos with the least amount of effort on my end.

Lazy workflow:
1. Transfer images to ipad
2. Hand to nearest giddy girl.

3. They all browse through my images taken at the event (or through the 20k photos I've collected over my lifetime) and selectively e-mail photos to themselves. (non 3g version so it stores the photos in the outbox)

4. The more savvy ones know how to use photo enhancing/manipulating apps before sending images to themselves.

5. When I am in range of a wireless connection, the emails with attachments head out.
6. Instant popularity, and I didn't do shiza.

Can the iPad handle RAW? Id use it to store and display my pictures while out and about it could, but not if it only handles JPEG.

True I could start shooting RAW + JPEG, I guess.

Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list:Herts_JoaTMoN's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Allan Crowson Regular Member • Posts: 217

heynowtest wrote:

Got to play with a NEX-5 and the iPad Camera Connection Kit.

This may become even more interesting with the Photo Stream and Mac/PC-free operation for the new iOS announced today (delivery this fall?).
--

Allan Crowson

DAKS Junior Member • Posts: 37

The iPad can display raw files just fine.

MtnGoatJoe Regular Member • Posts: 318

Ozett wrote:

I tried it, but I couldn't make it work.

MtnGoatJoe Regular Member • Posts: 318

MtnGoatJoe wrote:

Ozett wrote:

Update: I did make this work, but I had to set the resolution to VGA.

So, if you use MP4, and set the resolution to VGA, you can import videos directly to your iPad using the camera connection kit.

I'm not inclined to record my videos at such a low resolution (I have an HDTV for a reason), but I guess someone might find it useful.

probert500 Senior Member • Posts: 1,376
Re: Sony NEX-5 and Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit - Toshiba Thrive

You might want to check out the Toshiba thrive pad - It has an sd card reader and It sports something called a USB port (full size and mini). It also has HDMI.

It enables you to do crazy stuff like create folders and transfer files between folders.

I use apple stuff (mac pro, ipod) but they are control freaks. To charge $40,00 just to attach a camera is nuts.

But I do like your party tricks.

probert500's gear list:probert500's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II +4 more
Tuan2 Junior Member • Posts: 33

I haven't try it since I don't have the USB kit but it should work fine. Assume that your iPad is jailbroke.

All you need is ifile and yxplayer or vlc. With these apps I can play mkv on my iPad. High resolution and bitrate like 1080p have problem but my nex3 720p mp4s play perfectly smooth. Come to think of it I did play some nex5 1080p on it, not too sure I'd have to double check that.

MtnGoatJoe wrote:

MtnGoatJoe wrote:

Ozett wrote:

Update: I did make this work, but I had to set the resolution to VGA.

So, if you use MP4, and set the resolution to VGA, you can import videos directly to your iPad using the camera connection kit.

I'm not inclined to record my videos at such a low resolution (I have an HDTV for a reason), but I guess someone might find it useful.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads