nex 5 + Leica M 35/1.4

Started Jul 27, 2010 | Discussions
sixty9 Regular Member • Posts: 296
nex 5 + Leica M 35/1.4

(My Sony Nex 5 with my new Leica Summilux-M 35/1.4 Lens Attached. In the background is my friend's Sony A900 with a Leica Summicron-R 50/2 lens. This photo was taken with my Canon 5D with a Leica Summilux-R 80/1.4 lens attached.)

Hi,

I’ve had my Nex 5 for a couple of weeks and I thought I’d post my thoughts….
Overall it a great exciting camera:

1. It’s tiny (the gf1 seems huge in comparison)
2. the screen is so sharp that it makes manual focusing easy
3. it can take Leica lenses with only a 1.5x penalty in focal range

I think the user interface is fine, but I wouldn’t complain if they added custom modes or an ISO shortcut. My first DSLR was a Minolta 7D which had the easiest interface I’ve ever used. My current Canon 5d, which I’ve had for 3 years, still annoys me since it’s not as intuitive as the Minolta. The nex 5 isn’t that far off from the canon 5d IMHO.

I guess the only problem I have with it is that it has an aps-c sensor instead of a full frame. I’ve done some standard tests which I’m not going to bother to show but I am spoiled by full frames.

1. Full frames give you sharper images
2. FF can give you thinner depth of field
3. FF has better ISO performance.

I already push my Canon 5d to the limit that it does feel I’m taking a step back with an APS-C camera.

So while the Canon 5d will continue to be my primary camera for portraits and landscapes, the nex will definitely be my carry everywhere camera.

Actually, all my lenses for my Canon are Leica R's, so i can't wait to try them on the nex when the adapter comes in Well, that and the voigtlander 15/4.5 i just bought on ebay. The Sony 16/2.8 is just too soft for my taste.

Anyways, below are some random picks I took this following week. My Flickr site is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sixty9/

(Corona: Nex 5 w/ Sony 16/2.8)

(Pervert mode? Nex 5 w/ Sony 16/2.8)

(Lamp: Nex 5 w/ Leica M 35/1.4)

(My Niece: Nex 5 w/ Leica M 35/1.4)

(Winning Smile: Nex 5 w/ Leica M 35/1.4)

(Underneath the Moon: Nex 5 w/ Leica M 35/1.4)

(We all love thin DOF: Nex 5 w/ Leica M 35/1.4)

OP sixty9 Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: nex 5 + Leica M 35/1.4

Oh, I fogot to talk about the Leica M 35/1.4 on the nex5.

As you can see it's tiny. The smallest lens i've ever seen and it works out to be a 52/1.4 equiv on the nex 5. It's softer than the Leica 50/1.4 R on my Canon 5d but that's due to the sensor being smaller. If I shrink the nex5 image by 1.5x and compare it to my 35/2 leica R on my Canon 5d it's around the same sharpness, which is about right. Keep in mind i'm talking in broad terms, taking into account that i'm using different software to process the raws.

The leica M 35/1.4 + adapter is actually heavier than the nex5, so it does feel a bit awkard to hold, but it's just something to get used to.

One thing i didn't realize was that rangerfinder lenses can't focus as close as dslr lenses. The min focus distance on the M 35/1.4 is about 0.7 meters, which is pretty far if you're used to Dslr lenses.

One more thing, i got the adapter from jinfinance, but i don't think i can recommmend them. The adapters aren't built to tight enough tolerances. The lens is placed a bit too close to the sensor: I was hitting infinity too early and was losing my min focus distanace. I was able to adjust it by putting bits of paper inbetween the metal plates, but i'm going to try to return it have already ordered a rayqual adapter.

headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

Thanks for the report. If you get a chance, we'd love to see how this lens performs at infinity in the corners. Many M lenses that are 35mm and wider have issues with either smearing or color shift (or both,) including the 15mm you just ordered. If you could give us an idea how the summilux performs, that would be great. Thanks!

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 27,688

These are very nice and show what the NEX sensor can do with a good lens. Do not suffer with an inferior adaptor. I have had good luch with Photodiox adapers, M to u 4/3, Nikon F to u 4/3 and T2 to u 4/3. All work fine, focus to infinity and are not expensive. Second photo is with Rokkor 90mm, F 4.0.

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +9 more
SixDasher Senior Member • Posts: 1,710

I already push my Canon 5d to the limit that it does feel I’m
taking a step back with an APS-C camera.

Euhm, you're comparing a $700 P&S kit with a $2000 DLSR body??? Hate to tell you this but: "wake up and smell the coffee!". If you can't do without FF, why did you even think about getting a NEX of all things?

I have a D700 with a brickload of lenses and bought the NEX as a nice little camera to take along for fun, and hey it does video too. If you are expecting pro DSLR specs and quality, you are diluting yourself by thinking a fancy P&S will get you anywhere near that level.

Take is for what it is: a glorified P&S with a large sensor.

-- hide signature --

Ai-S all the way!

Why so angry?

Anyways i think my observation about ff vs aps-c sensors applies to all aps-c cameras, not specifically towards the nex.

-- hide signature --
brudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,510

Maybe you should consider selling the nikon and buying some Xanax. You sound pretty angry...

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7R Fujifilm X-T10
intruder61 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,064

great shots, the 3 photos of your niece, winning smile and the last one are great shots.....but what mode did you shoot them in.....they are a bit noisy.

just for the fun retry shooting an indoors pic in twilight mode and you will find that there will be less noise. cheers.

billorg Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Where to get the Rayqual?

Can you provide a link, and how do you know they are better?

Bill

billorg's gear list:billorg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha a99 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Nikon D500 +16 more
SixDasher Senior Member • Posts: 1,710

Not angry, just amazed that people actually compare a P&S camera with APS-C sensor (big yes as they are finally here) with pro DLSR full-frames and then sound disappointed it's not the same thing.

FF seems to be the holy grail for some reason, mainly because it lets DLSR users have the full effect of their 35mm lenses. Now Sony comes out with an EVIL system and dedicated lenses, and people immediately start bickering that it's nut full-frame.

Full frame is not sharper, full frame does not have better ISO performance.

Good lenses and technique mean sharp images. My 10D with 70-200IS gives enormously sharper images than my D700 with 70-300VR.

Low pixel density means good high-iso performance, sensor size has nothing to do with it. If you have the same density APS-C and FF, the high iso performance will be identical.

When using dedicated lenses for the mirrorless system, there is no need for FF sensors anymore, it's actually not even desirable (bigger, more expensive). The idea behind EVIL is to produce compact bodies and smaller lenses. The idea of a FF DSLR is to allow the original angle of view from 35mm lenses in existing SLR bodies.

-- hide signature --

Ai-S all the way!

Thanks for the advice but i shoot raws in aperture mode. Right now i have to use sony's native raw processor until Adobe comes out with theirs, so i'm not that concerned about the noise level of these pics.

intruder61 wrote:

great shots, the 3 photos of your niece, winning smile and the last one are great shots.....but what mode did you shoot them in.....they are a bit noisy.

just for the fun retry shooting an indoors pic in twilight mode and you will find that there will be less noise. cheers.

Re: Where to get the Rayqual?

Hi,

I ordered the Rayqual from this site http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=394 .

I actually got the adapter last night (received it in only after a couple of days, shipped from Japan to Canada! Impressive!)

I tried it on and it was perfectly aligned for the lens! Infinitiy was accurate!

Previously I hadn't had a problem with chinese adapters as i use them with my Canon 5d and their aligned perfectly. Perhaps in the rush of being the first to release them JinFinance's first batch wasn't perfect?

billorg wrote:

Can you provide a link, and how do you know they are better?

Bill

Hi,

I just did some quick tests at infinity and see no evidence of color shifting or smearing.

headofdestiny wrote:

Thanks for the report. If you get a chance, we'd love to see how this lens performs at infinity in the corners. Many M lenses that are 35mm and wider have issues with either smearing or color shift (or both,) including the 15mm you just ordered. If you could give us an idea how the summilux performs, that would be great. Thanks!

SDF Senior Member • Posts: 2,131

Some really interesting compositions here, but I like it! great job and thank you.

SDF's gear list:SDF's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +3 more
headofdestiny Veteran Member • Posts: 9,226

sixty9 wrote:

Hi,

I just did some quick tests at infinity and see no evidence of color shifting or smearing.

Thanks, that's great to know. I have a feeling that your pre-ASPH summilux will perform better than the ASPH version, because the newer version's rear element gets closer to the sensor. This also sounds like good news for the Voigtlander 35 1.4 Nokton, which is a similar design to your Summilux. I'd love to see some samples/crops at infinity. Thanks!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads