71-Gigapixel Photo Sets New Record

Started Jul 27, 2010 | Discussions
mailman88
mailman88 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,287
71-Gigapixel Photo Sets New Record

.....A group of young Hungarians, sponsored by industry big-shots Epson, Microsoft and Sony, have created the world’s highest-resolution 360° panoramic photograph to date. Shot from a 100-year-old observation tower built on the highest point of Budapest, the stitched panorama is over 590,000 pixels wide by nearly 121,000 pixels tall. In order to take the necessary number of photos in the least amount of time, the creators of the record-breaking image mounted a pair of Sony A900 bodies - each outfitted with a Minolta AF 400mm f/4.5 APO G lens and 1.4x teleconverter - on a sturdy stand complete with a custom-designed robotic head. Even with this setup, the image capturing stage of the project took over three hours to complete. The source images were then stitched with Autopano Giga software on a Dell Precision T7500 Workstation with 2 quad-core Intel Xeon processors, 24 gigabytes of RAM and 6 terabytes of storage capacity. The stitching process took two full days and resulted in a 200GB KRO file, which had to be converted into PPM format and split into three parts for retouching in Photoshop..The final panorama can be viewed at the website below.

Website: 70 Billion Pixels - Budapest (make sure to have the latest version of Silverlight installed)

A 300ppi print of the entire photo would be 156 metres wide by 31 metres high, i.e. a lot wider than a football field is long. While such a print is unlikely to ever see the light of day, Epson has endeavoured to produce a 15m wide print from a downsized, 1.5-gigapixel version, which will be on display at the Erzsébet lookout station in Budapest - where the source images were taken - on 11-12 September 2010. The print was made on an Epson Stylus Pro 11880 large-format printer using Micro Piezo technology and Epson’s Ulta Chrome K3 ink set.

http://70gigapixel.cloudapp.net/

mailman88's gear list:mailman88's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +4 more
lightmagic Senior Member • Posts: 1,410
Re: 71-Gigapixel Photo Sets New Record

why?
--
The Lightmagician
Sun is my eye
Winds my breaths
Sky my open Mind.
http://www.lightmagical.com

Triumph Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,016

very cool
--
Steve in Chapel Hill, NC
Hebrews 11:1
Personal photo web site can be found at http://triumph.smugmug.com/

miketuthill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

lightmagic wrote:

why?

Because it is there.

miketuthill's gear list:miketuthill's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony DT 18-70mm F3.5-5.6 Sony 75-300mm F4.5-5.6 +14 more
cbass New Member • Posts: 8

Surely it's only 35 gigapixel? At least half the image is sky, not really taxing to stitch.

It's technically very impressive but as an image it leaves me totally flat.

Simon97
Simon97 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,388

Wonderful... You have to install more Microsoft glop to even view it. I'll pass.

Simon97's gear list:Simon97's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS Panasonic Lumix DC-G100
AV Janus Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

miketuthill wrote:

lightmagic wrote:

why?

Because it is there.

If you build it, they will come!:-)
--
Rick Halle wrote:

" Keep in mind that tall buildings sway back and forth so they require faster shutter speeds."

AV Janus's gear list:AV Janus's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF +10 more
maxnimo Junior Member • Posts: 44

If I try to view this big photo will my monitor explode?

cbass New Member • Posts: 8

maxnimo wrote:

If I try to view this big photo will my monitor explode?

Your mind wont.

The microsoft glop as it was described above does however do incredible job of taking huge images and making them fast to load and letting you pan and zoom in a buttery fast way. It really is impressive.

lightmagic Senior Member • Posts: 1,410

just like making a camera as big as the Empire state b.
--
The Lightmagician
Sun is my eye
Winds my breaths
Sky my open Mind.
http://www.lightmagical.com

BIJ001 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,784

Simon97 wrote:

Wonderful... You have to install more Microsoft glop to even view it. I'll pass.

Me too as I am using SeaMonkey, a browser that seems to have escaped the attention of Bill Gates & Co:

Sorry, but Silverlight is not supported on this browser.

Silverlight works on Internet Explorer, Firefox, Flock, Netscape, Opera, and Safari.

-- hide signature --

Iván József Balázs
(Hungary)

BIJ001's gear list:BIJ001's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11
FuzzTheKingOfTrees Contributing Member • Posts: 733

It's a bit dull, a lot of the shot is woodland. This kind of pano works well when there is lots of detail to zoom in on. Also it's very hazy the detail isn't all that great at pixel level.

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460

FuzzTheKingOfTrees wrote:

It's a bit dull, a lot of the shot is woodland. This kind of pano works well when there is lots of detail to zoom in on. Also it's very hazy the detail isn't all that great at pixel level.

Thank you for the discription. That saves me the effort of running the glop, and loading the image.
--
Regards,
Baz

Well, I'll see your Cher, and your Streisand... and I'll raise you an Alice Babs!

Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
SeeRoy Senior Member • Posts: 1,666

Still waiting for it to load...

I am reminded of the story by Jorge Luis Borges where he postulates a map having a scale of 1:1 - one mile per mile. I'm sure the equivalent pano will be achieved before too long and present a fascinating challenge for presentation by browsers. For the moment I prefer to look out of the window.
Roy
--
Trying...

ZeevK
ZeevK Contributing Member • Posts: 835
On the contrary. Plenty of details, very amasing MS application

The application by Microsoft is amazing. I did not have to install anything - just hit the link in FF and it works. Thumbs-up to Microsoft. The control is fast precise and intuitive. Great app, plenty of interesting panos. The image itself is mind-blowing by the amount of details and sharpness.

I really do not know what is all the criticism about.

FuzzTheKingOfTrees wrote:

-- hide signature --
 ZeevK's gear list:ZeevK's gear list
Sony a7R III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads