several 35mm lens options for m4/3

Started Jul 27, 2010 | Discussions
adech Regular Member • Posts: 413
several 35mm lens options for m4/3

Sorry guys it has been raining the past few day and finally the weather is a bit better...I shot all the photos in Manual exposure at 1/1250 ISO 100. Focal point is the basketball hoop.

I finally took some comparison shots with the SLR Magic 35mm f1.7, Contax G 35mm f2, and the Leica M 35mm f2.

Bokeh is pretty strong with the SLR Magic 35mm f1.7. Photos look nicely saturated as well.

Highly saturated photos. Typical of a Carl Zeiss Lens

Sharp image from corner to corner.

siminona Senior Member • Posts: 1,221
Re: SLR Magic

I've never heard of SLR Magic until now. That's an interesting lens. What do you think of it? Is it worth buying?

OP adech Regular Member • Posts: 413

the lens is quite good for portraits. as you can see from my comparison pics the lens hood on the contax and leica are kind of short as it is made for wide angle for FF and not for m4/3. The SLR Magic lens is made for the m4/3 system and as you can see it has a telephoto lens hood instead!

bokeh is very strong with extremely shallow DOF. kind of a gd cheap alternative to the Nokkor lens. it is very well balanced with the m4/3 system in terms of weight too.

I was looking to buy a leather strap for my E-P2 on ebay and found this lens on the sellers items. he offered combine shipping and the sample photos looked pretty good so i thought...why not?

Fearless_Photog Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

Thanks for the samples, I really look forward to getting adapters for lenses designed for a shorter flange distance. I have Nikon F-mount and lots of M42 mount lenses already, so I bought the adapters for those first. The SLR flange distance makes them pretty bulky though. I'm thinking M-mount next, I'm also curious how manually focusing with the Contax lenses is. I've never owned a G2 but I've used one before and I remember it being very autofocus biased.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

grapher
grapher Senior Member • Posts: 1,108
Are you sure this is bokeh?

As all pics are taken with 35mm/f2.0, I would expect the same DOF from each lens. When the Leica and Zeiss lenses are sharp from corner to corner and the slr-magic isn´t, then it is a lens-fault and not bokeh. This lens simply is not sharp towards the corners. Or am I missing something here?

grapher's gear list:grapher's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +8 more
Fearless_Photog Senior Member • Posts: 1,250
Re: Are you sure this is bokeh?

grapher wrote:

As all pics are taken with 35mm/f2.0, I would expect the same DOF from each lens. When the Leica and Zeiss lenses are sharp from corner to corner and the slr-magic isn´t, then it is a lens-fault and not bokeh. This lens simply is not sharp towards the corners. Or am I missing something here?

It actually looks like really strong field curvature.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mcullenphoto/

LesterEverett Regular Member • Posts: 103
Re: several 35mm lens options for m4/3

Thanks for making the comparison. The Contax looks like it's right up there with the Leica, something nice to know given the price difference.

Les

mrgelo Junior Member • Posts: 38

What slrMagic is producing is not bokeh. It is merely the lens being not sharp in the corners and ends. Look at the building behind the basketball rim, which is supposed to be the focus. It does not have the same amount of blur as the corner of the image at the same distance.

Nice trick.

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 25,878

These comparison threads are a big help. Thanks.

Gotta say I like the saturation in the Contax lens. Didn't really think the lense would make that much difference in saturation. On the other hand, gotta love the even across the picture of the Leica glass. Looks very professional.

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more

opps sorry i just noticed i made a mistake in the labeling. the leica m summicron lens is a f2 and not f1.7...sorry guys for the confusion. the next up would be the summilux f1.4 lens and not a f1.7

well, about the focal plane. the point in focus is the basketball hoop so it makes sense for the basketball hoop/frame/rack to be in focus but the buildings should not be in focus with the hoop! the building is miles away and if the building comes in focus the hoop should be blurred. i agree the SLR Magic lens is a bit soft in the corners but its beautiful when used for portraits. on the other hand, i find the summicron a bit too sharp for portrait photography at times. i love the contax though! the contax g lenses are a deal right now and is so much easier to focus with the new adapter from SLR Magic. I get to manual focus with the contax g lens like its an actual lens! Its weird why they do not carry that item anymore...

i actually do not criticize lens on defects. i buy many lenses for their defects if that is how we like to call it. i think of it more as a signature of the lens and we should think of how to put it in gd use. eg the angenieux lenses are very soft like the slr magic lens unless stopped down. i will post some of those comparison shots if the photos are useful.

Re: Are you sure this is bokeh?

It actually has similar effects as the Nikon Defocus portrait lens. i am glad when i focus to the edge the edge is actually sharp then it throws everything else out of focus a bit.

This is really a lovely portrait lens.

BlogAddict Regular Member • Posts: 301
SLR Magic looks like fun

The SLR Magic lens looks like fun. I guess this could be a good alternative to lensbaby. But wouldn't it be possible to achieve the same effect while retouching photos in photoshop or GIMP?

Some sample test photos with the fun lens

well, i heard some people say you can adjust for tilt shift in photoshop or adjust for bokeh of large aperture lenses in photoshop as well. no comment on that...

but i think having the ability to have some fun with a thin DOF is a huge plus with the SLR Magic

I noticed one thing though. The SLR Magic has kind of a built in defocus control effect. When the focus is in the center everything else is kind of in defocus. when the edge of the image is focused the rest of the image becomes defocused. at first we all thought it had poor performance at the edge but later on we found out the edges can be as sharp as the leica m lens but just with defocus control with it. some call it poor performance and others call it special effect. depends on how you like to call the "Magic" It is nice to be able to take the photos at a small sharp aperture and have the rest of the background thrown into defocus. In a way it is also like a lens baby composer but just that you do not have to deal with the bulk and at tilting (and at half the price too!)

Photo at f5.6 with the SLR Magic Lens

SLR Magic lens focused onto the center with defocus on the sides

Leica M summicron focused onto the center not showing any DOF

SLR Magic lens focused onto the left edge with defocus to the right half of the image

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads