Need small bounce flash for 4/3

Started Jul 24, 2010 | Discussions
George Lechter Senior Member • Posts: 1,564
Need small bounce flash for 4/3

Have small bounce for Nikon and and Canon. But Oly bounce (the 36) is twice the size as the Nikon or Canon flash.

George Lechter's gear list:George Lechter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030
Re: Need small bounce flash for 4/3

The old OM TM32 flash will work in manual mode and the FL20 should work on auto mode. These are both a lot smaller than the FL36.
--
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
OP George Lechter Senior Member • Posts: 1,564

FL20 will not bounce

George Lechter's gear list:George Lechter's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
adech Regular Member • Posts: 413

I was looking for a small flash that is better than the flash for the DP1s and my friend suggested that A mode works wonders for him with the Metz.

i bought the metz 20 BC 6 second hand and it was annoying as it always flashed at max and was annoying to the eye. It is not bounce though.

i still did not give up and ended up ordering a brand new metz 20 c2 with bounce flash for my DP1s and Olympus EP2. If I remember correctly it was either 2.8 or 5.6 A mode. I used exposure compensation or used ISO for compensation most of the time. Direct flash seems to be a hit and miss with 70% accuracy. However, the bounce did not work out too well for me as it is usually underexposed. but my point is...look for something that is not this one as it didnt work out for me.

Bobby Handal
Bobby Handal Veteran Member • Posts: 5,575
something exactly like this....

The sunpak rd2000 would be fantastic if they made them for micro four thirds:

it uses only 2 AA batteries !

The hotshoe stores into itself, so the flash uses very little space in camera bag!!

although this particular flash is for nikon cameras, it works ok, sometimes is a little unpredictable but it works.

Bobby Handal's gear list:Bobby Handal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Nikon Coolpix AW130 Nikon Coolpix P900 Olympus TG-5 +75 more
Godfrey Forum Pro • Posts: 29,403

George Lechter wrote:

Have small bounce for Nikon and and Canon. But Oly bounce (the 36) is twice the size as the Nikon or Canon flash.

I use the Olympus FL36 when I want a fully compatible dedicated flash. It's small enough and works well.

When I don't need the compatibility and I want really small, I carry a Nikon SB30 and an Olympus CB-FL05 coiled flash cable or an RF trigger set. I can point the flash any way I want that way.
--
Godfrey
http://godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 12,237
Re: something exactly like this....

Thank you for sharing and photos that worth millions...
--
DSC-R1, DMC-G1(14-45)

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S +3 more
tyroiii Regular Member • Posts: 115

Has anyone tried the Vivitar 183?

s_grins wrote:

Thank you for sharing and photos that worth millions...
--
DSC-R1, DMC-G1(14-45)

tyroiii's gear list:tyroiii's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Nikon D750
Regis Ter Regular Member • Posts: 223

I use a Metz 20C2. It's a good flash, not that powerful though but good enough for general use. It tilts (but doesn't swivel) so that you can get a decent bounce from the ceiling (if it's not too high) or from a simple reflector (I use a light grey cardboard…).

It is not TTL, but it's very cheap, it's simple (set the EP-1 in manual mode at 5.6 and you're done), it works well… what else can I say ? I would think this is the kind of unit you're looking for.

Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 30,330
Use the Nikon or Canon?

George Lechter wrote:

If the Nikon or Canon flashes have a self-auto setting then use them. Match the camera settings in manual mode with set ISO to the flash settings and fine tune and from then on the self-auto is as good as TTL in my experience.

For vanilla 4/3 and for Panasonic LX3 I use the big Olympus FL-50 but never in the hot-shoe. It is always used on a side bar with the flash extender cable (Panasonic, Olympus or Canon flash extender cables all work). For a tiny flash (no bounce) I use the old Nikon SB-30 in self-auto mode.

For reliable bounce the bigger 4xAA battery flashes are preferred, better output and faster recycle.

There's my list of flashes and how they work with the LX3 (tested by forum members), the flash logic is the same on Panasonic and Olympus cameras, be it 4/3, M4/3 or compacts. http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/panasonic/11-flash.html#flashlist

Regards........... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 +2 more
WT21 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,122
Just replying to subscribe to thread.
-- hide signature --

I refuse to wed myself to any of these vendors. I'm just having fun taking pictures,
and watching the technology develop.

WT21's gear list:WT21's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Sony RX100 III Panasonic G85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
charles1976 Junior Member • Posts: 40
flash

i had the sunpak rd2000 and used it with my LX3.
it had to be manually adjusted.

my Pen 1 came with FL14, but i sold it off and bought Nissin Di466 for the same price.

Full TTL with Olympus Micro 4/3rds.

it bounces

only problem is, (as with Sunpak's RD2000) u can't swivel to the side but i can live with that hehe.

-- hide signature --

Charles, Singapore

patricmoreira New Member • Posts: 23
Re: flash

I heard the nissin di466 has an AF assist lamp, is it true? Would be good news...

Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,333

George Lechter wrote:

FL20 will not bounce

If you get an off-camera cord and point the flash up, it will!

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +34 more
Gregm61 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,333

tyroiii wrote:

Has anyone tried the Vivitar 183?

Three people have written short reviews at B&H..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/639816-REG/Vivitar_DF183O_DF183_OLY_DF_183_AF_For.html#reviews

Gregm61's gear list:Gregm61's gear list
Leica M9 Olympus E-M1 Leica M (Typ 262) Olympus E-M1 II Leica M-P (Typ 240) +34 more
Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Nissin Di466 FT

charles1976 wrote:

i had the sunpak rd2000 and used it with my LX3.
it had to be manually adjusted.

my Pen 1 came with FL14, but i sold it off and bought Nissin Di466 for the same price.

Full TTL with Olympus Micro 4/3rds.

it bounces

only problem is, (as with Sunpak's RD2000) u can't swivel to the side but i can live with that hehe.

. . . I have been looking for this unit but not having much luck here in the US except for the $159 white one at Adorama. Finally checked Ebay and a Hong Kong seller named fujisunrise has the black ones for $122 USD with free shipping to the states and mine is on the way now.

Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
jw68 Forum Member • Posts: 75

I think Olympus and Panasonic is missing out on a big opportunity by not having a small bounce flash similar to the Nikon SB400 or the Canon 270EX. Many are looking for this compact flash but they don't seem to be listening.

peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,768

I totally agree. They don't even need to create a very powerful flash, as long as it can bounce in a normal sized room, keep it relatively cheap priced and small, people would buy it.

jw68 wrote:

I think Olympus and Panasonic is missing out on a big opportunity by not having a small bounce flash similar to the Nikon SB400 or the Canon 270EX. Many are looking for this compact flash but they don't seem to be listening.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, recently fixed (I think) Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, broken Konica Auto S2(couldn't fix, who the heck GLUES screws in??), K1000 and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
papillon_65
papillon_65 Forum Pro • Posts: 27,030

Your post prompted me to get out my OM T32 flash and try it on my EPL-1. It's a bigger flash than I recalled but there are some plus points. It works very well in manual mode and I had it synching up to 1/350th second (after that you lose the bottom of the frame). The recycle time was pretty fast as well. So although it's not the smallest it's a great cheap option and you can bounce with it as well. It looks kind of cool on a Pen as well.
--
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

papillon_65's gear list:papillon_65's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V +7 more
ifsc006 Regular Member • Posts: 178
Re: flash

http://www.four-thirds.cn/forum/thread-157203-1-1.html

patricmoreira wrote:

I heard the nissin di466 has an AF assist lamp, is it true? Would be good news...

-- hide signature --

Kodak z712 dx7630 cx7430
Olympus E-520

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads