SA-7 yellow orange tint in viewfinder

Started Jul 23, 2010 | Discussions
JefDeC
JefDeC Contributing Member • Posts: 648
SA-7 yellow orange tint in viewfinder

Hello,
I have just bought a new SA-7 film body.

The viewfinder has a very yellow-orange tint - is there a (simple) solution for this ? And what causes this coloration ?

Any input appreciated.

Best regards ... jef

JefDeC's gear list:JefDeC's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +8 more
dr.noise
dr.noise Veteran Member • Posts: 3,747
Re: SA-7 yellow orange tint in viewfinder

I own SA7 and SA9 and they both have yellow tint in the viewfinder. At first it happened with SA9, I got its viewfinder replaced but it happened again. Next it came to SA7.

Do you actually use the camera? I think it happens when it sits on a shelf with the lens closed (no light gets inside the viewfinder)

There is no easy way to fix it except replacing viewfinder but as I said it will happen again.

If you don't use the camera then do nothing. If you use it, you could get used to that tint as well.

Also, there is a rather long way.

Put the camera so that the sunlight will enter inside. This photo was made of my actual tinted cameras put up for that particular reason. Later I removed the lenses as I feared that focused sun could burn something inside. I keep them that way for almost an year. The tint is almost gone. I believe sunlight (and UV in particular) helps. Of course actual and decent outdoor use will help as well.

This is obviously a Sigma flaw but I find some comfort in thinking that these cameras have souls and they need light to live.

dr.noise's gear list:dr.noise's gear list
Sigma DP2s Sony DSC-RX0 Sigma SD10 Sigma fp
Roger Senior Member • Posts: 2,509

Greetings

I was told it's the glue that was used and there is no fix and there are no more parts for repairs. You can try the the sun light, I hope it works. The prism is plastic not glass so over time the glue discolors.

Hope you find a cure
Roger J.

JefDeC
OP JefDeC Contributing Member • Posts: 648

As I bought it just now in an unopened box the camera never have seen any light since manufacturing.
The bottom of the viewfinder is actually turning purple.

I will use the camera as is, it's not a big problem but nice to know that sustained exposure to light will improve the situation.

Thank you very much for the responses and advice !

best regards ... jef

Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X20 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 +8 more
Paulo Ferreira
Paulo Ferreira Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Cheap glue? what a bunch of amateurs Sigma are

That's why my SA9 has a yellow viewfinder. Because Sigma used the cheapest glue available! This is almost hilarious!! I can live with it but oh boy does that not bode well for cameras that were still being sold as new less than 5 years ago.
Any other camera brand in the world, or Milky Way, having the same problem?
--
--------------------------------------------------------

'Politicians and baby nappies should be changed regularly for exactly the same reason.'
Eça de Queirós (1845-1900)
-------------------------------------------
Paulo Ferreira
(equipment in profile)
http://www.pauloferreira.co.uk
http://pauloferreira.imagekind.com
http://www.pbase.com/pauloferreira
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/paulo_ferreira

Paulo Ferreira's gear list:Paulo Ferreira's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,534
Re: Cheap glue? what a bunch of amateurs Sigma are

Some of the more basic (d)SLR's from Nikon also have slightly amber colored viewfinders. However, that's not some defect caused by cheap glue but they're designed that way.

If the quality of the glue used by Sigma really is the cause, than once again that would prove Sigma's less than perfect track record on quality control. On the other hand: this specific problem seems to be limited to Sigma's film SLR's, let's just be happy the SD-models aren't affected...

-- hide signature --

'We are only immortal for a limited time'

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP1 Sony RX10 II Epson R-D1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +35 more
Paulo Ferreira
Paulo Ferreira Senior Member • Posts: 1,884
Re: Cheap glue? what a bunch of amateurs Sigma are

You know what's funny about this? When I received this SA9 I saw that yellow image and thought that was intentional!!! a Sigma ideosincrasy to compensate for some blue tinted old lenses. I am laughing now.... it was just their old motto "slap the cheapest thing you can find on our products!" and sell it as a speciality like a SPAM sub!
http://www.spam-uk.com/
Yum, yum!
--
--------------------------------------------------------

'Politicians and baby nappies should be changed regularly for exactly the same reason.'
Eça de Queirós (1845-1900)
-------------------------------------------
Paulo Ferreira
(equipment in profile)
http://www.pauloferreira.co.uk
http://pauloferreira.imagekind.com
http://www.pbase.com/pauloferreira
http://www.pbase.com/sigmadslr/paulo_ferreira

Paulo Ferreira's gear list:Paulo Ferreira's gear list
Sigma SD9 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Ed_S
Ed_S Veteran Member • Posts: 8,078

JefDeC wrote:

Hello,
I have just bought a new SA-7 film body.

The viewfinder has a very yellow-orange tint - is there a (simple) solution for this ? And what causes this coloration ?

Any input appreciated.

Best regards ... jef

jef,

I purchased an SA7 a year or so ago - I think it may have been open box new warranty - from an electronics discounter - perhaps the same as you or another poster reports. The first had overall yellow with a violet bottom in the viewfinder - kind of a tequila sunrise look. The vendor exchanged it without question - the second was uniformly yellow. I posted about it and some other owners reported the same peculiarity but said they lived with it as it served their purpose. As I mostly wanted a film body compatible with my Sigma glass for occasional shooting - I kept it also. And it's otherwise a very adequate body.

Sigma gave me the same report about no parts available. I've considered trying to remove the lens to see if it is something which can be cleaned off. If it is cement or the plastic itself being discolored, I wonder how exposing just the eyepiece to bright sunlight or an alternative UV source might work?

Best,
--
Ed_S

http://www.pbase.com/ecsquires

SandyF Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Roger wrote:

Greetings

I was told it's the glue that was used and there is no fix and there are no more parts for repairs. You can try the the sun light, I hope it works. The prism is plastic not glass so over time the glue discolors.

Hope you find a cure
Roger J.

I would find it a very strange manufacturing procedure to smear "glue" all over a viewfinder.... more likely to do with the nature of the plastic (?) used, rather than being "glue." FWIW, I just looked through my SA7 vintage-2005 or so and it's not significantly discolored. Maybe the foliage seems a bit more green than normal through the lens I stuck on it... but so insignificantly different in color I wouldn't have noticed except for this thread.

Best regards, Sandy
sfleischmann@gilder.com
http://www.pbase.com/sandyfleischman
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandyfleischmann

SandyF's gear list:SandyF's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma DP1 Merrill +7 more
ImagingImpulse Forum Member • Posts: 94

I've never actually needed to attempt this.

But, I've read online that people have need to put discolored lenses under UV light to "fix" a color shift problem. From what I recall, it's somewhat common for older lenses to yellow.

Now the I'm thinking on it, I believe the procedure is used to fix discolored old m42 lenses that have changed.

If the technique works, I imagine it's the same as leaving inkjet photo sitting in the window ledge for too long.... they disappear.

BTW, doesn't the SA cameras have the same viewfinder as a SD9 or SD10? Any of those turn yellow lately? I'm no historian on Sigma gear.

JefDeC
OP JefDeC Contributing Member • Posts: 648

Below a small picture to show exactly what the coloration looks like.
No lens attached, pointed to a white wall - as can be seen above the camera.
and yes yes I know I know the picture is not sharp ...

But again, it's not a big problem, Like Ed_S I intend to use the SA-7 occasionaly besides the SD-14 to take advantage of some FF aspects of a lens.

I must say that the ergonomics of the SA-7 are great - and all the dials rotate smoother than on my SD-14, furthermore it's light as a feather (350gr?) - good old day's (sigh)

Best regards ... jef

dr.noise

JefDeC wrote:

Below a small picture to show exactly what the coloration looks like.
No lens attached, pointed to a white wall - as can be seen above the camera.
and yes yes I know I know the picture is not sharp ...

That's quite heavy tint compared to what's left of mine.

I hope you will cure it with light as I did. I still have tint but it is like 10 times lighter.
Love and light - all a Sigma camera needs.

dr.noise

ImagingImpulse wrote:

BTW, doesn't the SA cameras have the same viewfinder as a SD9 or SD10? Any of those turn yellow lately? I'm no historian on Sigma gear.

SA cameras have pentamirror and SD cameras have pentaprism. At least my SD10 hasn't gone yellow.

Klimi New Member • Posts: 2

Roger wrote:

Greetings

Hope you find a cure
Roger J.

This first happened to my SA-9 around late 20112. I sent it in for repair and Sigma told me the mirror was broken. They did the "repair" for $99 plus shipping. I shot a test roll using the camera in early 2015 and there was a slight brownish tint. I took out the camera from its storage case just a week ago and the brown tint is back, full bore. Sigma are pathetic if it really is a glue-related issue. Unconscionable.

xpatUSA
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 16,462

Klimi wrote:

Roger wrote:

Greetings

Hope you find a cure
Roger J.

This first happened to my SA-9 around late 20112. I sent it in for repair and Sigma told me the mirror was broken. They did the "repair" for $99 plus shipping. I shot a test roll using the camera in early 2015 and there was a slight brownish tint. I took out the camera from its storage case just a week ago and the brown tint is back, full bore. Sigma are pathetic if it really is a glue-related issue. Unconscionable.

Just to let you know that Roger posted this six years ago.

-- hide signature --

WYGINWYS - what you get is not what you saw.
Ted

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP2 Merrill Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 +17 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 9,253

JefDeC wrote:

As I bought it just now in an unopened box the camera never have seen any light since manufacturing.

May I ask how much it cost you?

I have a SA-7n body I used only a couple times a couple years ago, and I just checked for coloration in the viewfinder.  It's a mix of purple and yellow.

Maybe it was there when I bought it used, for maybe $120 or so, but I never noticed it until tonight.

My guess is it will have no effect in film exposures.

I have several rolls of unused film that has expired since I bought it.  Too expensive to shoot film, at least for me.

I did a comparison between film and my SD15, and the SA-7n allowed me to use the same lens for the comparison shot.  The SD15 did a better job for me.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Celebrate mediocrity (in moderation)

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
Tom Schum
Tom Schum Veteran Member • Posts: 9,253

xpatUSA wrote:

Klimi wrote:

Roger wrote:

Greetings

Hope you find a cure
Roger J.

Just to let you know that Roger posted this six years ago.

Aaagh!  Something was odd about this thread, and I like oddball threads.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
Celebrate mediocrity (in moderation)

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Fujifilm X30 Sigma sd Quattro Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads