Actual LX5 vs LX3 ISO 1600 comparison. I prefer LX3 result.

Started Jul 21, 2010 | Discussions
OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Sample 21

Condor wrote:

Condor wrote:

terryoregon wrote:

In looking at the EXIF, LX5 photos start at 21

Thanks.

How do you see the full size of them?

I managed to download them and watch at wallpaper size-

I like samples 21 to 30, better than all the other samples I've seen.

I also downloaded some of the first ones titled as G2-xx, and those do not seem as good at all..., whit the exemption of the shrimp one.

How can we confirm that each one belongs to the camera their titles say?

OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Sample 21

I almost like all from 21 to 30, with the exemption of the one with the cats and the one with the pink flowers.

terryoregon
terryoregon Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: Sample 21

How can we confirm that each one belongs to the camera their titles say?

We kind of have to assume they didn't intentionally/maliciously alter the EXIF data.

But we can't absolutely confirm it.

 terryoregon's gear list:terryoregon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7S
OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Sample 21

terryoregon wrote:

How can we confirm that each one belongs to the camera their titles say?

We kind of have to assume they didn't intentionally/maliciously alter the EXIF data.

But we can't absolutely confirm it.

I mean, since even them (21 to 30) say "LX5/FZ100 Samples Photos by ChunJuan".

Can you tell them apart (LX5 from FZ100) using that EXIF information?

terryoregon
terryoregon Senior Member • Posts: 1,487
Re: Sample 21

Can you tell them apart (LX5 from FZ100) using that EXIF information?

I checked, all photos 21-30 say DMC-LX5 in the EXIF (screen capture).

 terryoregon's gear list:terryoregon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a7S
OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: Sample 21

terryoregon wrote:

Can you tell them apart (LX5 from FZ100) using that EXIF information?

I checked, all photos 21-30 say DMC-LX5 in the EXIF (screen capture).

Thanks a lot.

Well, we'll have to assume that all of them are LX5 photos (21 to 30)

peppermonkey Veteran Member • Posts: 5,009
Re: a waste of time.............

Condor wrote:

And this thread would be totally irrelevant in that case, except for the following fact:

People are already or could be already tempted of buying (pre-ordering) LX5 units believing that they produce more beautiful photos than LX3. 10,000 units per month, 120,000 units per year, that totalized a 60 million dollar market, or 60 million that somebody wants to take from our pockets... And you can say... but the majority of this people could return this product in less than 30 days... Do you know the real statistic of the % of the total bought that people really returns?

Um, why do you want to know? It's not as if Panasonic is stealing our money.

And that's ok if we were basing our conclusions on objective samples and experts correct conclusions, but even you said that..." I understand your point but until we see more highly controlled samples than this one it's a bit premature to draw a conclusion."

So, could you explain to all of us, why the 2 (now 3) "only" reviews that have appeared from main photo or consumers products reviewers of 2 continents are already emitting opinions saying that LX5 does better than LX3? When even you agree that that's no clear based on their samples? How many people do you think have already read their sites or the hundreds of sites that are repeating or redirecting their readers to these sites?

Err...because those reviewers think that the LX5 is superior to the LX3...Do we need an explanation? Does it matter? Not really. We should all take reviews of any product with a grain of salt. And as for CNet.xxx, I generally save a few more extra grains. As for the other, well, I can only speak/read English and Japanese so I don't bother with that one. Is their conclusion 'wrong'? No. Because at the end of the day, it's their opinion. They felt that the LX5 is superior. Someone else would probably conclude that LX3 is superior. Neither is wrong since it's just an opinion. Thus, we need to view them as such. Opinion. Personally I'll wait for more established review sites to review them such such dpreview, imaging resources, etc. Then with the information at hand I'll make my own judgment.

You said before ..."But it seems to me that the orig poster is trying his hardest to convince everyone that the LX5 is inferior to the LX3."

Maybe, and I might be wrong at the end, but the question is. Why you didn't do this other statement at the same time......"But it seems to me that these 2 world-wide known reviewers are trying his hardest to convince everyone that the LX3 is inferior to the LX5." Even though your final conclusion was... (and again)"until we see more highly controlled samples than this one it's a bit premature to draw a conclusion."... Did you post a comment in their sites expressing that opinion? Why not? At least, I did.

Err...he didn't because he's not defending or criticizing either cameras nor is he defending or criticizing either reviews. All that he says is that he's waiting for more established review sites to review them. Not sure about the non-English site but at least with CNET.asia, the site might be world known but it sure isn't known as the most credible of photo equipment review sites. We are on the most part, just waiting for more information since what we have now just isn't enough to make a judgment call one way or another.

-- hide signature --

Hubert

My cameras: GF1, TZ3, recently fixed (I think) Minolta Hi-Matic 7s, broken Konica Auto S2(couldn't fix, who the heck GLUES screws in??), K1000 and my wife's old K110D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/peppermonkey/

 peppermonkey's gear list:peppermonkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Sigma DP2 Sony RX100 II Pentax K110D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: a waste of time.............

peppermonkey wrote:

We are on the most part, just waiting for more information since what we have now just isn't enough to make a judgment call one way or another.

Thanks for confirming my point. Another allied. Thanks God.

OP Condor Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Re: a waste of time.............

peppermonkey wrote:

We are on the most part, just waiting for more information...

Did you check all that new information in these at least 4 new sites, where 1 of them provides several new full size LX5 photos (second one)?

1.- http://www.hardwarezone.com/features/view/62461

2.- http://translate.google.com.ec/...ww.pcpop.com%2Fdoc%2F0%2F558%2F558037.shtml

3.- http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=766664

4.- http://translate.google.com/...es%257Clang_1ja%257Clang_1en,qdr:d%26prmd%3Dis

What does anybody think about them?

Biggly Junior Member • Posts: 45
Color tinting

I know this is an old thread but regarding the color tinting (LX3 pink, LX5 blue), let's remind ourself of that classic expression about what photography is:

"Painting with light".

Look at that sunset. All around, including reflected in the boat's window.

It's a red sunset people!

Red, pink, something decidely OTHER than blue.

One thing I've noticed about my LX3 is that it does tend to over-saturate reds sometimes. To me, these 2 pics show that the LX5 is trying to artificially compensate by over-doing the blue. There is no way, no how, that this white boat, lit from all sides by a red-pink sunset, would have a distinctly BLUE tinge to it.

It's cold, artificial and doesn't have that 'beautyfullness' as someone described the adorable images we've come to love from the LX3. It does however look to me that it's effectively the same sensor, jazzed up a bit, including some form of red-filter or blue boosting, which has RUINED this pink sunset pic, by tinting the thing BLUE!

Gah!

On top of which, though also old news perhaps, Panasonic have opted to call their new girly (available in pink) compact point and shoot handbag camera for the unwashed feminine masses the "GF2"

GF what?

Now if they'd called it the GFBarbie I wouldn't mind, but effectively they've insulted my camera by positioning the Barbiecam as being the "2" of my "1".

In the process they removed the depth of field preview, exposure and focus lock, and turned the thing into a huge, bulky iPhone that doesn't even have GPS or make phone calls? Rather like the iPad then, but worse, much worse...

And just how many apps does the Panasonic App Store have? That's right, none!

Panasonic have gone from delighting me with cameras that 'get it' to trying to compete with my smartphone.

Correction, my wife's smartphone.

No.

I have the LX3 for my pocket, I have the GF1 for more serious stuff. If I were to return to a full-size SLR I was thinking of making it a Panasonic hat-trick, maybe even a Panny slim thing for the wife - but no.

I'm going back to Canon.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads