Lightroom Books: Kelby vs Evening

Started Jul 21, 2010 | Discussions
andrewbdub Regular Member • Posts: 467
Lightroom Books: Kelby vs Evening

I'm looking for a book to improve my LR3 skills. I have Scott Kelby, LR2 Book For Digital Photographers, although I've never actually used LR2 (I got it while using the LR3 beta).

Rather than buying Kelby's new LR3 book would I be better to try something different? If so, is Martin Evening, LR3 The Complete Guide for Photographers the logical companion?

Thoughts on the relative merits of Kelby and Evening's books, whether Kelby's LR3 book is much different to his LR2 book, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
andrew
http://www.pbase.com/abott

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,500
Re: Lightroom Books: Kelby vs Evening

Their styles are very different I have never cared for Kelby writing. I find Martin's books very informative well written through and his video to be very good they should be viewed more then once for its easy to miss some of his finer points. I can not comment on his Lightroom Book for I do no use lightroom and the Photoshop books I have are for an older version then CS5. While Adobe Product continue to evolve you do not always need books written for the latest ans greates versions. One needs to learn the basics first once you do the latest bells and whistles will fall into place. What has been maturing most in resent Adobe Image Processing is RAW conversion Lightroom, Bridge and Photoshop share a common conversion engine however lightrooms GUI is NOT the ACR dialog. So the latest Lightroom book would probably be a good deal where a Photoshop user may be better off investing in a book that just deal with ACR 6.
--
JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM +3 more
suddie1215 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

Neither. Read the Lightroom 3 User Guide.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/3.0/Using/lightroom_3_help.pdf

It has everything the 3rd party books have, including color photos.

andrewbdub wrote:

I'm looking for a book to improve my LR3 skills. I have Scott Kelby, LR2 Book For Digital Photographers, although I've never actually used LR2 (I got it while using the LR3 beta).

Rather than buying Kelby's new LR3 book would I be better to try something different? If so, is Martin Evening, LR3 The Complete Guide for Photographers the logical companion?

Thoughts on the relative merits of Kelby and Evening's books, whether Kelby's LR3 book is much different to his LR2 book, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
--
andrew

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
selwynbr Senior Member • Posts: 1,491

I know you're specifically looking for a book, but a very useful site is Julieanne Kost's Lightroom site. You may find you don't need a book after viewing her site.

roblarosa
roblarosa Senior Member • Posts: 2,119

Evening.

I know Kelby is hugely popular, but I've never cared for his books. The Kelby books I'm familiar with have shown you "how" to do things but they don't do a good job of telling you "why" you're doing those things.

So, when it comes time to edit your own photos, there is a huge disconnect between what you were shown in the example photos and what you're trying to do with your own photos.

YMMV.

-- hide signature --

'A better camera won't do anything for you if you don't have anything in your head or in your heart.' -- Arnold Newman

roblarosa's gear list:roblarosa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Buzzzman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775

Evening's vening book is excellent!! The Kost videos are good, but Evening's book explains all of lightroom's features in detail, and is a terrific reference book also.
Any questions you may have -will be answered in this one.
I consider it the "Lightroom"Bible"

I use video tutorials extensively, but you will alway s have questions that videos can't answer.
Don't pay any attention to those who recommend skipping this book!!!!

I have several good books( mostly Photoshop)and Evening's book on Lightroom 2 for digital Photographers , is probably the most thorough one I have. If you really want to understand Lightroom- this is the book for you..
If you have a bookstore nearby, check it out or check the Reviews on Amazon.com.
Buzz

suddie1215 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

Sorry but I disagree with you here. There may be a need for a reference book at some stage but the Lightroom 3 User Guide explains everything you need to know about the application In fact I would go further and state that the User Guide is better written than many of the third party books on the market. I know because I've read/reviewed most of them. If you did you'd realize that in many instances the authors are simply rehashing the information that is already in the User Guide.

Martin Evening's book is good but that doesn't mean that it is without flaws. For most people the most important part of Lightroom is the Develop Module. Guess when he starts discussing the Develop Module in his book (LR2 edition)? Page 244.

If you're reading in sequence you have to wade thourgh 243 pages to get to the stuff you need.

Also the book has several major errors. For example, on page 260 he says the following about the Scale slider that is visible on the Toolbar when the White Balance tool is selected:

"The Show Loupe check box allows you to toggle displaying the
loupe that appears just below the White Balance tool cursor. You can
adjust the loupe scale setting by dragging the slider next to the Show
Loupe item in the toolbar. This slider adjusts the sample grid pixel
size, and dragging the slider to the right will increase the number
of pixels used when sampling a white balance point measurement.
Increasing the pixel sample size can be benefi cial if you want to
aggregate the pixel readings more, such as when you’re sampling a
really noisy image and you don’t want a white balance measurement
to be unduly affected by the pixels that contain color noise."

This is clearly incorrect and can be easily proven; the pixels sampled by the WB dropper are foxed at a 5x5 grid and don't change when you increase the slider.

Buzzzman wrote:

Evening's vening book is excellent!! The Kost videos are good, but Evening's book explains all of lightroom's features in detail, and is a terrific reference book also.
Any questions you may have -will be answered in this one.
I consider it the "Lightroom"Bible"

I use video tutorials extensively, but you will alway s have questions that videos can't answer.

I have several good books( mostly Photoshop)and Evening's book on Lightroom 2 for digital Photographers , is probably the most thorough one I have. If you really want to understand Lightroom- this is the book for you..
If you have a bookstore nearby, check it out or check the Reviews on Amazon.com.
Buzz

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
dooginator Junior Member • Posts: 43

Which is best for any reader is probably a function of their learning style.

Kelby's books tend to have a cookbook style, sort of "for this look/effect, do these steps." They are good for people who learn best by just getting in, doing things, and intuiting other applications for a feature or technique as they accumulate experience with it.

Evening's books are more explanatory, giving you an understanding of a feature, then exploring what can be done with it. So if you are the type of learner who tends to think "hold up, I don't know why I'm doing these steps, so I'm not getting anything out of just running through them", Evening will probably be a better route.

Buzzzman Veteran Member • Posts: 3,775
Well, for me---

Well for me ----the first 243 pages was the meat of the book!!! If you understand Photoshop's ACR plug in , Lightroom's develop module is just about self explanatory. If I did have a question about the develop module-- the answer was easy to find, as Evenings book is very thorough, and organized quite well.

I had a few questions questions about organizing 10's of thousands of images in an orderly manner, and Evening's book explained every thing I wasn't quite sure about . i also picked up a few tips about organizing I wasn't aware of...

Taking the time to read the organizing portions of the first 243 pages, will make the
reader expert in organizing tons of images using the library module.

As for the error on page 260--- so what-??-not very important in the scheme of things..

Just about every digital imaging book I have read --has errors that are much more important that that one!!!-- and I have read my share of them in the past 20 years!!!

Like I mentioned in my first post----take a look at the book--.(and/or) the reviews Then decide to purchase it --or go another route...
Buzz

jdoo Senior Member • Posts: 2,962

Great way of explaining the differences dooginator. I enjoy both authors. Have always liked the immediacy of being able to apply Kelby edits both in his Photoshop as well as Lightroom books. Martin Evening on the other hand -- delves in deeper and has probably taught me more about approaching these products as tools...
--
Joe
Old Acct: http://www.dpreview.com/members/5617432530/forums/Messages?Page=19

Bob Walters Senior Member • Posts: 2,039
Buy the "other" book.

It's always good to have a different perspective, so if you have a book by one guy, but a book by the "other" guy. It doesn't really matter which one is best as long as the other book gives you a tip or two not contained in the first one you read.

I've got books by both authors and their approach is quite different; and that's a good thing.

Bob

-- hide signature --

OP andrewbdub Regular Member • Posts: 467
Postscript: Got Martin Evening's LR3 Book:)

...and glad I did. It's very thorough, yet easy to follow and appears to explain all of LR3's features in great detail. Compared to the Kelby book it is much more of a reference piece.

My only complaint is that the text is very small. It's also good to read in bed at night if I'm having trouble sleeping:)
--
andrew

mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,702
Re: Postscript: Got Martin Evening's LR3 Book:)

andrewbdub wrote:

...and glad I did. It's very thorough, yet easy to follow and appears to explain all of LR3's features in great detail. Compared to the Kelby book it is much more of a reference piece.

My only complaint is that the text is very small. It's also good to read in bed at night if I'm having trouble sleeping:)
--
andrew

Another vote for Evening's book. The Adobe User's Guide website is and should be the reference standard, but I for one find it hard to sit down with a monitor and just read with it; a book is much easier on the eyes and conducive to extended reading, which Evening's book by its encyclopedic nature encourages. I would also recommend

Vision and Voice by David DuChemin, which isn't a technical LR book, but rather a book on how you can use LR as a creative tool to realize your photographic vision in your postprocessed images. The 20 examples therein of how DuChemin created some very compelling images from his RAW data and the discussion of creating a vision-directed workflow are worth the books price. This and Evening's text are an excellent pair.

Check out DuChemin's Within the Frame as well - a discussion of the process leading up to the capture of the image. More vision stuff.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
photous Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Postscript: Got Martin Evening's LR3 Book:)

I do not have the Evening book, but I can comment on Kelby because I have his LR3 and CS5 books.

In LR3 books, he goes to great length with the basics of organizing, filing, backing up - basically in Library mode. Page 249 (out of 455 total) is where he starts talking about Develop mode. Now, for someone totally new to LR (including myself), this has got to be amazing. That is exactly what I wanted to know about LR3. Once you are in Develop mode (and I agree, most professionals spend majority time in that mode) - for a novice like me, I mostly use LR3 presets, or Matt's presets (that came with the book). I understand real photographers do not like this cookie-cutter method, but presets does amazing job for me. My point is - for me, more than half the book dedicated to basics was a blessing. For someone who has been using LR for years - this book may seem like a waste.

On the other hand, Kelby's latest on PS CS5 starts very quickly to Camera RAW after going thru Bridge basics quickly. Spends a lot of time in Camera RAW. I somehow did not like it, as I prefer LR. But someone who totally swears by PS - not a bad book.

I have not read the other books, so cannot comment. I tried to download Adobe's LR3 PDF, but my download somehow gets stuck at 7.59MB. Will try again later.

As always, I do read a lot of posts here, and it has changed the way I do things with photos. Thanks guys! Keep up the good work.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads