Another convert from Sony...

Started Jul 20, 2010 | Discussions
Darrell52 Senior Member • Posts: 1,344
Another convert from Sony...

Today I ordered a Canon 5D Mk II and 24-105 kit from Henry's and my switch from Sony has begun. As I divest myself of my Sony gear, I hope to add a number of other Canon "L" zooms and possibly a prime or two. I just got tired of waiting for Sony to introduce its enthusiast and above level cameras. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I learn more about the Canon offerings and am anxious to post my first 5D photo. Hopefully my new kit will be here by the weekend. Wish me luck.

Darrell52's gear list:Darrell52's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +7 more
aleunge Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Another convert from Sony...

Best of luck! And welcome!

Out of curiosity, which Sony body did you shoot with before? And hope you won't miss your Zeiss lenses

OP Darrell52 Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

Thanks.

I shot with the A700 and a collection of mainly a collection of Minolta stuff (28-70 2.8; 80-200 2.8) as well as some "G" glass (similar to Canon L) like the 70-300. The Ziess stuff is nice but real pricey and as I became disenchanted with Sony, I became less inclined to invest at that level.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +7 more
Jens_G Contributing Member • Posts: 709
Very entertaining :)

Darrell52 wrote:

I just got tired of waiting for Sony to introduce its enthusiast and above level cameras.

All indications are that the successors to the A700 and A900 will be released according to a 3 year cycle - exactly the same as for Canon's cameras of the same level.

Jumping brands to buy a 2 year old design just doesn't seem very wise.

If the 5DII suits you better than the A850 or A900, there's nothing wrong with that, but citing the lack of high-level replacements as a reason just seems silly.

It only seems like Sony are neglecting their higher level cameras because of the large number of entry and midrange models they've been pumping out (4 more due in August).

The successor to the A700 is due at Photokina (2 months away), with a replacement to the A900 at next years' photokina very possible(maybe even before the 5D3).

The most significant weakness of the Sony cams used to be their high-iso performance, which, judging by the sensor performance of the NEX cameras, has finally been sorted.

Throw into the equation the best DR, the only FF camera with stabilised sensors, good AF and no banding, and Sony are set to produce some brilliant cameras, soon(tm).

In 3 years' time you might find yourself switching back to Sony (just before Canon or Nikon come out with the best-in-class cameras again)

Chasing marginally better cameras will just leave you sitting behind the curve.

Jens_G Contributing Member • Posts: 709

Why on earth would you switch 2 months before the A7xx is due? to a 2 year old design?

Re: Very entertaining :)

Nice to meet you.

The A700 was discontinued some time ago and there has been a successor coming since then. Whether it will appear at photokina or not is anyone's guess. High ISO handling has long been an issue with Sony cameras including my first, the A100. The A700 is better, still not great. JPEGS out of the A850/900 are marginal... high ISO RAW files are not as noise free as the 5D. A850/900 owners have been screaming for a firmware upgrade for as long as I can remember. Rumors about the firmware fix have been on again off again for a long time.

Sony may release an A7xx at photokina. It may have better noise handling characteristics than the 5D. Sony may release a firmware fix for the A850/900. They may release an A85x/9xx that sets new standards for full frame. They may fill in their lens line up so it meets everyone's needs. They may re-introduce MLU and DOF preview. Sony may do lots of things and if they do all these things then I may say i coulda stayed with Sony. As for today, I do have an excellent camera that is not due for replacement for 1-2 years. I do have access to the largest selection of glass of any camera manufacturer.
So, I'm OK with my decision.
thanks for your opinion.

GiovanniB Contributing Member • Posts: 985

Well I'd not go to the extremes judging someone's motivation.

Personally I purchased the original 5D at the end of 2007 though I never had any intentions to quit the Alpha system. Yet the Sony A700 just released shortly before simply couldn't satisfy my image quality and performance requirements at that time and the then 2 years old design from Canon proved far better suited for the task. However I still keep a basic set of essential Alpha equipment and have by no means taken a final decision for one system. If I'd have to invest in a 20+ MP FF body today, it would be a rather close call between the Alpha 900/850 and the 5D Mk. II - I prefer the UI of the Sony by far, yet the AF performance of the Canon is clearly superior on erratically moving subjects plus it has video (not for the family vacation but pro-grade under manual control, suitable for stock footage), and the fully electronic Canon lens mount seems more "future-proof" than the Alpha mount, of which the long-term limitations are obvious now that the NEX system with a limited-functionality adapter is available. Anyway, I'm observing both systems very closely and I'm thankful to be in a position with no necessity to invest in one or the other at the moment.

I'd not like to bet about the direction Sony will take with their Alpha line. Recently they released many entry-level bodies with stripped-down functionality, much the same way Nikon does for years. However they should keep in mind Nikon not ONLY has stripped down amateur stuff, and Canon remains successful in selling fully featured small Rebel bodies (which are my current favorites in the entry level class because they make up for perfect light travel companions even for a demanding user).

Thanks, I appreciate your considered opinion. I believe we are very much on the same page.

Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,493
In terms of sheer image quality...

...and arguably high ISO IQ, you were in better hands with the A850 and A900 for optimum image quality. Interesting choice to switch to a more expensive Canon full frame camera paired with a very mediocre L-series zoom rather than simply move up to Sony's less expensive full frame option.

Hope you get what you want out of it. The switch certainly isn't likely to improve your abilities as a photographer.

Darrell52 wrote:

Today I ordered a Canon 5D Mk II and 24-105 kit from Henry's and my switch from Sony has begun. As I divest myself of my Sony gear, I hope to add a number of other Canon "L" zooms and possibly a prime or two. I just got tired of waiting for Sony to introduce its enthusiast and above level cameras. I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as I learn more about the Canon offerings and am anxious to post my first 5D photo. Hopefully my new kit will be here by the weekend. Wish me luck.

-- hide signature --
 Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +8 more
Re: In terms of sheer image quality...

Kabe Luna wrote:

...and arguably high ISO IQ, you were in better hands with the A850 and A900 for optimum image quality.

I presume you speak from personal experience since the overwhelming consensus and every review I have ever read indicates that the 5DMkii has much much better high ISO capabilities. A850/900 owners have been screaming for a firmware fix for high ISO issues since the camera was introduced. If Sony does fix this issue, as they did with the A700, I would still be willing to bet the 5Dii would be a superior high ISO camera.

Interesting choice to switch to a more expensive Canon full frame camera

Clearly not more expensive than the A900 and the price I paid for the 5D and the 24-105 kit lens would equate to less for the 5D body than the $2300-2600 it costs for an A850 in Canada. Not sure where you shop.

paired with a very mediocre L-series zoom rather than simply move up to Sony's less expensive full frame option.

All reviews I've read on the 24-105 indicate it is a very capable zoom with resolution the equivalent of the Canon 24-70 2.8. The IS provides an advantage over the 24-70 and the broader range is attractive given for the short term it will be my only lens. I intend to fill in my lens options over time with the best canon L lenses.
Again, the A850/900 are not less expensive.

Hope you get what you want out of it.

Thanks for the good wishes, I hope so too since nothing is ever absolutely for certain.

The switch certainly isn't likely to improve your abilities as a photographer.

Not sure what your point is here, but I don't like being talked to like I'm an idiot.

In any event, thanks for taking time to comment notwithstanding our apparent differences of opinion.
Darrell

http://www.garlandcary.com

gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,501

Darrell52 wrote:

Nice to meet you.

The A700 was discontinued some time ago and there has been a successor coming since then. Whether it will appear at photokina or not is anyone's guess. High ISO handling has long been an issue with Sony cameras including my first, the A100. The A700 is better, still not great. JPEGS out of the A850/900 are marginal... high ISO RAW files are not as noise free as the 5D. A850/900 owners have been screaming for a firmware upgrade for as long as I can remember. Rumors about the firmware fix have been on again off again for a long time.

Sony may release an A7xx at photokina. It may have better noise handling characteristics than the 5D. Sony may release a firmware fix for the A850/900. They may release an A85x/9xx that sets new standards for full frame. They may fill in their lens line up so it meets everyone's needs. They may re-introduce MLU and DOF preview. Sony may do lots of things and if they do all these things then I may say i coulda stayed with Sony. As for today, I do have an excellent camera that is not due for replacement for 1-2 years. I do have access to the largest selection of glass of any camera manufacturer.
So, I'm OK with my decision.
thanks for your opinion.

Hi Darrell,

I'm a current Alpha shooter starting the same process as you. I'm getting ready to buy a second hand 5D original and a couple of poor man's L zooms. I had my gear stolen so I'm waiting for the insurance process to finish then I'll be a Canon user. My A700 was a great camera and the 5D will be a step down in many ways except for IQ. I still feel the high end Sony bodies trump any Canon less than a 1 series for ergonomics and controls.

I still have Sony gear left but with Sony's situation as of late I'm not comfortable reinvesting in the system. I've lost the 'warm and fuzzy' feeling that Sony will be a good fit for my current and future needs. Seems to me they are focusing on entry level and uber-high end FF stuff I can't afford while neglecting the middle class. That coupled with the holes in the system just make Canon a better fit for my needs today. I'll finally be able to buy some fast primes that are not $1300 each.

I hope Sony comes through in a big way later this year for Alpha users. They truly do make some great cameras and their best glass is often the benchmark, unfortunately I'm not willing to stick around to wait and see.

I look forward to the switch and finally going FF. I will miss that in-body IS though
--
Newest galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/portraits
http://www.pbase.com/gipper51/architectural

gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 II DG HSM +7 more

hi gipper,

Yes, I read of your misfortune on the Sony forum, sorry to hear about your situation. Your thoughts are mine exactly. I have had strong misgivings about Sony for some time. Once I made the decision to switch and actually made the purchase of the Canon I felt better. It's just a feeling of confidence that Canon will continue to move ahead. Sure they may have issues but at least they have a long track record. I'll miss the in-body stabilization and the UI but overall I'm confident Canon will meet my needs.

Funny, I seem to spend more time defending my decision to move to Canon with Canon users. Sony people seem to understand.
Regards
Darrell

DotCom Editor Veteran Member • Posts: 7,018
I don't believe that's possible

Jens_G wrote:

The successor to the A700 is due at Photokina (2 months away), with a replacement to the A900 at next years' photokina very possible(maybe even before the 5D3).

Photokina is a biennial show. You correctly note that it occurs this year (2010). Unless things have changed, the next Photokina will take place in 2012, not 2011.

DotCom Editor's gear list:DotCom Editor's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Epson Stylus Pro 3880 +3 more
Sal Baker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,983
Re: Congratulations!

You will be a very happy camper.

I made the same decision 6 months ago and I've never been more happy. As a former medium format shooter who made his own wet room prints I continue to be amazed at the sharpness, richness and overall quality of the 5DII files when I bring them up on my 30" display.

I only have one L zoom, the rest are primes. My 50 and 85mm lenses really showcase the 21mp resolution, but the L comes very close.

You'll find that you won't hesitate to shoot iso 400 - 1600 as the files are very clean. 3200 looks good too but for large prints a bit of NR is useful.

If you shoot video, remember to keep the shutter speed down to 30 - 50 especially at 24p for the best cinematic look.

Enjoy! You have years of fun ahead.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +7 more
pandalee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

as an ex-minolta user , I think you made a big mistake , you should have bought the A900 , which is the current IQ king in 135mm format.

Darrell52 wrote:

well, said, Kabe Luna.

Kabe Luna wrote:

...and arguably high ISO IQ, you were in better hands with the A850 and A900 for optimum image quality. Interesting choice to switch to a more expensive Canon full frame camera paired with a very mediocre L-series zoom rather than simply move up to Sony's less expensive full frame option.

Hope you get what you want out of it. The switch certainly isn't likely to improve your abilities as a photographer.

Darrell52 wrote:

-- hide signature --

no all people care the video and if you do love video , then there will be Sony E mount video camera that takes all Emount and Amount sony lenses.

and the A900 will blow the 5D2 and D700 out of this planet in terms of pure IQ contest.

Sal Baker wrote:

You will be a very happy camper.

I made the same decision 6 months ago and I've never been more happy. As a former medium format shooter who made his own wet room prints I continue to be amazed at the sharpness, richness and overall quality of the 5DII files when I bring them up on my 30" display.

I only have one L zoom, the rest are primes. My 50 and 85mm lenses really showcase the 21mp resolution, but the L comes very close.

You'll find that you won't hesitate to shoot iso 400 - 1600 as the files are very clean. 3200 looks good too but for large prints a bit of NR is useful.

If you shoot video, remember to keep the shutter speed down to 30 - 50 especially at 24p for the best cinematic look.

Enjoy! You have years of fun ahead.

Sal

Darrell52 wrote:

Kabe Luna wrote:

...and arguably high ISO IQ, you were in better hands with the A850 and A900 for optimum image quality.

I presume you speak from personal experience since the overwhelming consensus and every review I have ever read indicates that the 5DMkii has much much better high ISO capabilities. A850/900 owners have been screaming for a firmware fix for high ISO issues since the camera was introduced. If Sony does fix this issue, as they did with the A700, I would still be willing to bet the 5Dii would be a superior high ISO camera.

oh if your definition of over all IQ means just high ISO , yeah the 5D2 is a great cam.

but its low ISO IQ is HORRIBLE, so I still have my Nikons as my main bodies.

Interesting choice to switch to a more expensive Canon full frame camera

Clearly not more expensive than the A900 and the price I paid for the 5D and the 24-105 kit lens would equate to less for the 5D body than the $2300-2600 it costs for an A850 in Canada. Not sure where you shop.

well, only in your area, the A900 now is so cheap , in Thailand , in Japan , in China , we cna get ti under 1.8 K USD.

paired with a very mediocre L-series zoom rather than simply move up to Sony's less expensive full frame option.

All reviews I've read on the 24-105 indicate it is a very capable zoom with resolution the equivalent of the Canon 24-70 2.8. The IS provides an advantage over the 24-70 and the broader range is attractive given for the short term it will be my only lens. I intend to fill in my lens options over time with the best canon L lenses.

Well, I dont think Kabe Luna is trying to compare the trashy lens the 24-105 f4L to the even trashier lens like the 24-70 but to the Sony Zeiss 24-70 or Canon L primes in its range.

Again, the A850/900 are not less expensive.

Hope you get what you want out of it.

Thanks for the good wishes, I hope so too since nothing is ever absolutely for certain.

The switch certainly isn't likely to improve your abilities as a photographer.

Not sure what your point is here, but I don't like being talked to like I'm an idiot.

well, no need to be so sarcastic but Kabe is telling you the reality.

In any event, thanks for taking time to comment notwithstanding our apparent differences of opinion.

not differnce , you just dont know Canon or 5D2 very well , that is all , once you get used to it , you will be less excited or enthusiastic about it.

we all know every camera system and body is a bit of compromise and you just need to decide in where to make compromise................

Darrell

http://www.garlandcary.com

Thanks for your input. i guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
Darrell

Thanks Sal, seems the only ones happy with Sony are Canon users. Maybe it's just the nature of photography, no matter what you have the other guys gear is better. I realize I could be in the same situation but for now at least, I'm comfortable with my decision. It's clearly is not a change that I took lightly and i considered my options carefully. I looked at Sony first since not changing would be easiest. I wasn't comfortable putting $2500-3000 into the A850/900 given my read on Sony's direction. D700 was an option but I think it's too old a design. The 5D Mk ii is still a relatively new offering and seemed the best combination for my needs. It's odd but several respondents here seem to think they know what I need better than I do. Not likely, since they know very little of my shooting style, preferences etc. Anyway, the feedback here is free so I'll take much of it at face value.
Thanks again,
Darrell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads