dmc-FZ100K

Started Jul 17, 2010 | Discussions
therealwheely New Member • Posts: 12
Re: dmc-FZ100K

It's great that Panasonic introduces two camera's that are almost identical except for the sensors. This gives reviewers a unique opportunity to really compare the image quality of the CCD and CMOS sensors. I can't wait to see the results and sample photo's. I'm looking to buy an ultrazoom bridgecamera for some time now and i think i will buy either the FZ40 or the FZ100 when they become available. The choice will depend on the image quality.

Bye the way when comparing the specs of the two camera's i noticed that unlike the FZ40 the 'Real-time Histograms' function is not mentoined in the specs of the FZ100.

therealwheely's gear list:therealwheely's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
guybie Contributing Member • Posts: 859
Joystick?

I really hope the joystick is still there, i really liked it and miss it on the HS10...

guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Sony RX10 IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +2 more
Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,573
Re: Joystick?

guybie wrote:

I really hope the joystick is still there, i really liked it and miss it on the HS10...

I'm with you on the joystick. I find it the easiest and most user friendly system to make changes to my settings. I also prefer the on/off and review sliding switches that Pany uses on the FZ28/35. I hope they stayed with this design.

Daniel Lowe Senior Member • Posts: 2,355

The FZ100 looks awesome to me, people complaining about it not being a worthy replacement to the FZ50 are possibly living in the past a wee bit.

The market has changed as has technology, and video has become an important part of almost every class of camera.

Manual zooms like on the HS10 don't appear to work well with video (especially with the zoom on offer) so I can understand why this may have been avoided. The auto zoom is not bad on the FZ35, is it just that the manual dampened ring makes people feel like "real" photographers?

At the end of the day it is all about image quality, it is a given that panasonic cameras handle well and are a joy to use.

It will be down to the new lens and sensors, if they are good these cameras will be market leaders.
Eagerly awaiting first reviews.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 17,933

PerH wrote:

Robiro wrote:

This is no FZ30/50 replacement.

No manual zoom, no fun.

I agree. Everything seems fine except just MANUAL ZOOM!

If only there was a way for them to put the FZ-50's lens and manual controls on it, as you said - that internally zooming lens has to rate among the greatest ever put on a non-DSLR. It takes normal-sized filters. The front element doesn't rotate, so a polarizer doesn't keep losing 'phase' as you zoom or focus. Bystanders don't see the camera lens zooming in and out and start trying to figure out what you're shooting.

Bet they could build a properly scaled version of this lens for one of their smaller FZ's, and at reasonably low cost too. That would be the turning point for buying a new camera for me, quite possibly.

Yvan/G2 Regular Member • Posts: 208
Re: backside illuminated

BSI CMOS and MOS are not the same animals.

If you want to have a clearer "image" of what those are and the real benefits of a MOS sensor over CCD or BSI CMOS, please visit the following forum and read what Brian Larson has to say :

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/222452-mos-vs-cmos-vs-ccd.html

After reading this article, I think that the new Panasonic FZ100 won't disappoint.

Robbob67 wrote:

safaridon wrote:

The reference to swing view LCD might mean it will be hinged at the top so one can tilt the screen to avoid glare or position for picture taking.

A tilting screen (like on the Fuji HS10) will suit me fine.

Just as examples I have a few shots taken down into a birds' nest with my FZ-50 which I was able to compose from standing on the ground and holding the camera up high.

A top hinged LCD would not let me do that. I think Panny has too good a record to put such a lame half-baked solution on a camera anymore.

Daniel Lowe wrote:

The FZ100 looks awesome to me, people complaining about it not being a worthy replacement to the FZ50 are possibly living in the past a wee bit.

The market has changed as has technology, and video has become an important part of almost every class of camera.

Granted they are marketing a product but manual zoom and focus controls are not one bit less desirable than they ever have been. I remember the fun I had trying to focus manually (ha) using that little jog lever on an earlier camera (FZ-7). It's things like that which kept me from seriously looking at any of the 'is this the replacement for the FZ-50?' cameras that have come out every three months since I bought my FZ-50. I never looked seriously at any of them because I consider the 'jog' lever to be a huge step down in functionality.

That's why it looks like I'll have to hold out til I can afford an interchangeable lens camera - Panny doesn't make what can be called a 'prosumer bridge' camera anymore.

safaridon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,321
Re: backside illuminated

Yvan/G2 wrote:

BSI CMOS and MOS are not the same animals.

If you want to have a clearer "image" of what those are and the real benefits of a MOS sensor over CCD or BSI CMOS, please visit the following forum and read what Brian Larson has to say :

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/alternative-imaging-methods/222452-mos-vs-cmos-vs-ccd.html

After reading this article, I think that the new Panasonic FZ100 won't disappoint.

Re: dmc-FZ100K - swing view LCD

Midwest wrote:

Robbob67 wrote:

safaridon wrote:

The reference to swing view LCD might mean it will be hinged at the top so one can tilt the screen to avoid glare or position for picture taking.

A tilting screen (like on the Fuji HS10) will suit me fine.

Just as examples I have a few shots taken down into a birds' nest with my FZ-50 which I was able to compose from standing on the ground and holding the camera up high.

A top hinged LCD would not let me do that. I think Panny has too good a record to put such a lame half-baked solution on a camera anymore.

Gary R. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,196

safaridon wrote:

However much you obviously liked your FZ50 it could not begin to go as wide hence less versitile nor with its lens was it nearly as compact.

There are lots of things the FZ50 can't do that are standard issue in newer cameras, but unfortunately the ones that are more important to some of us aren't there. The manual zoom lens is one; non-extending fixed lens, a focus ring, maximum apertures that don't go above f/3.7 are others. Some would say the articulating LCD, but while it's a nice thing to have occasionally, I use the fold-out ability so seldom that whether a camera had fixed or articulating LCD would not really affect my choice. Specs are one thing, but usable features can be more important, and even if there was an FZ100-style camera with 24-1000mm, it still lacks in other respects.

EVF size is not as important as resolution. The tiny EVF screen has a lens that enables you to view it at close distance, and a smaller screen will have a shorter focal length lens so you get closer, and the size appears the same as the larger one viewed at greater distance. If it has higher resolution, and the technology of the small screen is good enough, it shouldn't matter if it's tiny or large. You only see the pixels, and fewer pixels means you see less detail in the shot. This depends, of course, on them building it right to begin with, to where the screen appears large enough to your eye and is comfortable to view.

If they use a slightly longer lens on the EVF, the screen will appear smaller, and hence sharper, and this may be what they do intentionally for that reason. It may also be the reason why people gripe about the lousy EVF's they've been making.

But since processing power is a big factor in making an EVF that refreshes quickly, why not use that power that's already there for whatever size EVF screen it takes to display the full 460k pixels? They build it to be able to operate a 460k LCD, then they cripple the EVF with half the pixels, and why? Had they used a good EVF, I think it would actually sell cameras, as that's what people see (at least the ones that use the viewfinder), and having a nice bright sharp and detailed display is not going to hurt sales.

Gary R.'s gear list:Gary R.'s gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ

Midwest wrote:

PerH wrote:

Robiro wrote:

This is no FZ30/50 replacement.

No manual zoom, no fun.

I agree. Everything seems fine except just MANUAL ZOOM!

If only there was a way for them to put the FZ-50's lens and manual controls on it, as you said - that internally zooming lens has to rate among the greatest ever put on a non-DSLR. It takes normal-sized filters. The front element doesn't rotate, so a polarizer doesn't keep losing 'phase' as you zoom or focus. Bystanders don't see the camera lens zooming in and out and start trying to figure out what you're shooting.

Bet they could build a properly scaled version of this lens for one of their smaller FZ's, and at reasonably low cost too. That would be the turning point for buying a new camera for me, quite possibly.

pc168 Senior Member • Posts: 2,275
steps ahead of my FZ35

Just base on the spec, the FZ100 is very attractive. People say 14/15 mp is too much. If it can deliver more or less the same IQ of my FZ35, I will have nothing to say.

MFauli Forum Member • Posts: 64
what is "extra zoom"?

hi, saw this in the spec sheet:

"Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) 28.4x (4:3 / 10M), 33.8x (4:3 / 7M), 40.5x (4:3 / 5M), 50.6x (under 3M)"

What exactly does that mean?

rsbfotos Senior Member • Posts: 1,805
simple and complex response

In simplistic terms it is "In Camera Cropping". For a greater degree of explaination a quick read at these sites will help you ---

a thread on your question here at dpreview.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1033&message=35651001

rather complex and daunting to assimilate if your new to the term.
http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~parsog/panasonic/12-ezzoom.html

first three or four statements keep the explaination simple.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/95435534@N00/discuss/112437/

-- hide signature --

(Remember -- photography, is art, is subjective.)

• You can't see the forest when you sneeze. Visit my galleries if you please, at http://www.pbase.com/10kzoomfz/galleries

rsbfotos's gear list:rsbfotos's gear list
Sony a77 II Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
Re: simple and complex response

thx, that helped

As a beginner, I´d like to ask: How fast is this non-manual zoom? What I liked about the Fuji HS10 was its manual zoom, allowing for quick zooming. I could imagine that a slow zoom would be really annoying.

Small Smile
Small Smile Contributing Member • Posts: 796

Sounds like a little fake, or a limited edition....
OSD Language: English, Spanish
????
--
Ham can't teach nothing to Pig ...

... my crazy gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludena2005/sets/

Small Smile's gear list:Small Smile's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Fujifilm FinePix S100fs Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Nikon Coolpix 5400 +27 more
Effzeeone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,638
Just as I thought...

Just as I thought -- it's more a merging of the FZ50 and FZ35, but I have to admit it looks pretty good. I liked the internal zoom lens on the FZ50, but that's not really possible with anything over 12x and only when paired with a very small sensor (or else we'd see it more with DSLR lenses).

I think the biggest things going here is the no-doubt improved JPEG engine, the superior sensor, what appears to be (maybe) an articulating screen, and the hotshoe for an external flash. There are some personal preferences of mine that are missing, but, at least for me, Panasonic actually seems to have done pretty well with the must-have features and no real surprises about the any features that are still sitting on my FZ50 Upgrade Wish List.

Of course, all this is moot if the image quality or performance turns out to not be so good in the real world, but it's looking pretty good so far. It's not going to get me to pack up and eBay my DSLR kit, and frankly put, I probably will never buy a FZ100, but considering a little over a year ago Panasonic pretty much officially said the FZ50 line was done, this is a bit of a surprise and I am very surprised about the features.

-- hide signature --

Chris
Effzeeone now has a...PentaxKayEx ???!!! WHAT?!
(Gear in profile)

Effzeeone's gear list:Effzeeone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 Pentax Optio WG-2 Pentax K-x +4 more
Effzeeone Veteran Member • Posts: 3,638
Switch on the Lens Barrel

Robbob67 wrote:

I'm not that familiar with the FZ50, but the FZ100 pic shows a similar switch on the side of the lens barrel.
Is this manual focus?

I doubt it since they don't have a focus ring on the barrel like the FZ50 does. The manual focus is probably in a menu or on a button closer to the buttons used for focusing manually. Of course, my guesses are just that -- guesses. It could be image stabilization? Macro?

Effzeeone's gear list:Effzeeone's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Panasonic FZ1000 Samsung Galaxy Camera 2 Pentax Optio WG-2 Pentax K-x +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads