New Sigma 7-200 lens

Started Jul 14, 2010 | Discussions
jgrussell Regular Member • Posts: 107
New Sigma 7-200 lens

Hi,

I'm in the market for a 70-200 zoom lens, mainly for sports (my kid's baseball/football) so not professional, although I used to be one. I have a Canon 5d11 with the 24-105 but just not long enough.

The new Canon 70-200 is too much although I'd love it but I'm intrigued by the new Sigma 70-200. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm looking at a used Canon 70-200 2.8 last generation for 1,600 but I'm curious if the sigma would be better at thew same price.
Decisions, decisions...
Thanks,
John

jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
Nick Slaapt
Nick Slaapt Contributing Member • Posts: 781
Re: New Sigma 7-200 lens

In a few days, after July 23th, there will be an answer...
(I can't wait too, the Canon attracts me more and more, but the $$$$)
Then I hope it doesn't take too long for some good reviews.

Nick
--
'wildlife' and concert photos:
http://www.photobreak.eu

Nick Slaapt's gear list:Nick Slaapt's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
Robert Sheldon Senior Member • Posts: 2,166

jgrussell wrote:

Hi,

I'm in the market for a 70-200 zoom lens, mainly for sports (my kid's baseball/football) so not professional, although I used to be one. I have a Canon 5d11 with the 24-105 but just not long enough.

The new Canon 70-200 is too much although I'd love it but I'm intrigued by the new Sigma 70-200. Does anybody know anything about it? I'm looking at a used Canon 70-200 2.8 last generation for 1,600 but I'm curious if the sigma would be better at thew same price.
Decisions, decisions...
Thanks,
John

Why not look at the Canon 70-200 f/4? The sports you mentioned are out doors and the light should be good. Besides I would wnat to shoot at least 5.6 or 8 to get decent DOF.
--
Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at
http://www.bobsheldon.com

OP jgrussell Regular Member • Posts: 107

I'll be photographing alot of games at night under lights, so I do need the extra stop. Of course, if all I had was a f4, I'd make do. Just waiting until it'e released and see how good it is.
Thanks for the replies.
John

jgrussell's gear list:jgrussell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS
pandalee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

jgrussell wrote:

Hi,

the Sigma will be definitely better than the old crappy 70-200f2.8LIS mark1 but the mark2 is the king.

the Sigma FLD is about as good as the Nikon vR2 as far as I see some samples here in Japan.

and the Sigma will be out on 23rd of this month and the price would have to be about 1500USD (roughly calculated from original Japanese price(street price not MSRP) here).

the new Sigma has 3 FLD units and it must be good like all latest Sigma zooms such as the 8-16 , 17-50HSM and 50-500OS HSM.

but imo, the Sigma OS is not as effective or smooth as the latest Canon IS.

so if money is not an issue , get the Canon 70-200f2.8LISmark2 but as you just said it is a bit too much , I think you should wait to see the Sigma at your local and buy it on line.

BTW, Sigma QC is getting better according to many reports but I still not trsut them like zeiss or canon , so I will get them at a local shop and at least try a few copies of a lens to pick the best one always.

I think this is annoying but worth it if you have to return and send them back many times.

Decisions, decisions...
Thanks,
John

well, if he gets the f4 , he needs lots of primes to back it up and thus, it is more expensive than just getting the amazing 70-200f2.8LIS2.

Robert Sheldon wrote:

jgrussell wrote:

Hi,

Decisions, decisions...
Thanks,
John

Why not look at the Canon 70-200 f/4? The sports you mentioned are out doors and the light should be good. Besides I would wnat to shoot at least 5.6 or 8 to get decent DOF.
--
Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at

Shutterbug1129 Regular Member • Posts: 396

Just hope you don't ever have to get the Sigma repaired...Sigma's repair service sucks! I know first hand...

well, then try Nikon repiar service , it even worse.

Sigma is not that bad..........Tamron and Nikon are the worst.

Shutterbug1129 wrote:

Just hope you don't ever have to get the Sigma repaired...Sigma's repair service sucks! I know first hand...

Never used Nikon or Tamron, but a few years back the zoom ring on my two-year-old Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 locked up and I sent it in for a $500+ repair...parts were backordered and it took about a month-and-a-half to get it "fixed" and returned...when I finally received it, the AF was all screwed up...erratic...in AI Servo it would lock up like in One Shot...sent it back and was informed that Sigma had corrected the matter, but apparently they didn't do a thing to it...

And the AF worked fine previously...even had to use it a couple of times with the locked-up zoom ring and it worked perfectly...

Of course, opinions are like bungholes, but I'll never have anything to do with Sigma again...wound up unloading the 120-300 on eBay for a little over a grand and bit the bullet for a Canon 300 f/2.8 IS and have never regretted it...

Robert Sheldon Senior Member • Posts: 2,166
Good Sigma Service

Shutterbug1129 wrote:

I just had a lens repaired by Sigma. The could not have been better.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at

Shutterbug1129 wrote:

Never used Nikon or Tamron, but a few years back the zoom ring on my two-year-old Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 locked up and I sent it in for a $500+ repair...parts were backordered and it took about a month-and-a-half to get it "fixed" and returned...when I finally received it, the AF was all screwed up...erratic...in AI Servo it would lock up like in One Shot...sent it back and was informed that Sigma had corrected the matter, but apparently they didn't do a thing to it...

And the AF worked fine previously...even had to use it a couple of times with the locked-up zoom ring and it worked perfectly...

Of course, opinions are like bungholes, but I'll never have anything to do with Sigma again...wound up unloading the 120-300 on eBay for a little over a grand and bit the bullet for a Canon 300 f/2.8 IS and have never regretted it...

but this about the price , the Canon is much more expensive and should be much better.

Re: Good Sigma Service

I think Sigma is very seriously improving its QC and service.

Robert Sheldon wrote:

Shutterbug1129 wrote:

I just had a lens repaired by Sigma. The could not have been better.

-- hide signature --

Bob Sheldon
Photo Gallery at

I won't be holding my breath...I got ripped off BIG TIME a few years back!

osullis Regular Member • Posts: 179

I had a 50-150 recalibrated (it was front focusing) and it was repaired effectively. It did take 6 weeks, though. I cannot complain about their service.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads