G2 Shutter count: have you tried it?

Started Jul 12, 2010 | Discussions
Maphou
Maphou Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
G2 Shutter count: have you tried it?

For G1 and Co fans
I am interested in checking the shutter count of my G2

The following procedure is suggested by F1L1P to get the shutter count for G1.GH1?

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1041&message=34257179&q=F1L1P&qf=m

Will it work on the G2?
Have you tried it?.

This was proposed by F1L1P for the G1/GH1 in this forum and at
http://www.mu-43.com/f43/hidden-menu-panasonic-g1-gh1-shutter-count-464/

Thanks

Emile

MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re: G2 Shutter count: have you tried it?

Didn't work for me. But aren't left arrow and Film Mode the same thing? If so why were both terms used? But maybe on the G1 they are not the same.

Instructions copied from reference:

Should you want to, you can find out the number of times
you have switched on your G1/GH1
and the number of times you have pressed the shutter -
by doing the following.
(N.B. Its complicated but it does work )
1. Switch off camera
2. Switch to Single Shot Mode
3. Press "Film Mode" and "Display" together, hold these
4. Switch on camera, release the buttons after a short while.
5. Press "Menu/Set" and "left arrow" together, hold them, ignore the display
6. In addition(!) press 2 times "Film Mode"
Now you should see the history of problems with date and a code, up to 16 items.
7. Press "Menu/Set" and "left arrow" together once again and hold them
8. another additional press on "Film Mode" and you see a screen with 3 counters:
No.:
PWRCNT: counts the "switch on's"
SHTCNT: counts use of the shutter
Do No's. 7 and 8 again and it will bring you back to normal operation.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
Reality Faker Forum Member • Posts: 69

g1 has a film mode button on top! G2 doesn't.

Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,740

Good trick

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +7 more
Maphou
OP Maphou Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
Re: G2 Shutter count: or the total number of photos with camera to date.

Need some suggestion from Panasonic or somebody in the know.

Wondering how these instructions for the G1/GH1 came about?

In any case for the G1 there is only a handful of confirmations that the instructions work.
At least to my knowledge.

Perhaps it is too early to be aware of the G2 shutter count. The G2 needs to hit the used market first, I guess.

An alternative indicator of the usage (or camera mileage) is the total number of photos taken by camera to date. Is this number available in the camera?

Emile

Maphou
OP Maphou Senior Member • Posts: 1,187
Re:G1/ G2 etc Shutter count: before testing the instructions read it all

Before following the instructions at
http://www.mu-43.com/f43/hidden-menu-panasonic-g1-gh1-shutter-count-464/

for the G1/GH1 shutter count I would read to the end of the link above and all the related posts.

I, for my part, will wait for Panasonic to advise on such a procedure. My 2 cents

Emile

MtnBikerCalif Regular Member • Posts: 197
Re:G1/ G2 etc Shutter count: before testing the instructions read it all

Let's hope you don't have to hold the up arrow and display at the same time, because now that display is recessed, it's difficult even with my medium sized hands. BTW using the up arrow for Film Mode in the instructions doesn't work for me.

MtnBikerCalif's gear list:MtnBikerCalif's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
jayboydog New Member • Posts: 10
G2 camera info

For G2:  To enter the TEMPORARY Service mode (there also exists PERMANENT service mode) do the following:   1. Make sure you have a memory card in the camera.

2. Set the Drive mode lever to Single position

3. On a TURNED OFF camera push DISPLAY and AF/AE LOCK buttons simultaneously. While holding these two buttons turn on the power.   Now the camera should be in the temporary service mode. To make sure it is, enter the Setup menu (the one marked with "wrench" icon) and look at the very last page. In the service mode there will be a new item ROM BACKUP. This item is for saving the user settings to and restoring them from a memory card.

4. Push simultaneously LEFT ARROW and MENU/SET buttons. A menu can pop up or some settings show - don't pay attention to that now. While holding these two buttons push AF/AE LOCK. You can now release all three buttons. The screen will now show a table with the last 16 error codes and their dates. Table navigation is done with the arrow buttons. Error codes are explained in the Service Manual.

5. Repeat the actions from item 4 once more. Now you will see CAMERA INFO screen. There is the most interesting info:   VER: full software revision number   No.: motherboard's serial number   PWRCNT: Number of power on cycles (including exits from the Sleep mode)   SHTCNT: Number of shutter activations   STBCNT: Number of flash activations

6. If you now push DISPLAY button you will see CAMERA INFO 2 screen. There are several more counters there: Total number of clock settings (ClockSet Cnt), and two more (UnderCut Cnt ? RTC Read Err).

7. By repeating actions from item 4 return the camera into the initial state. The camera can work as usual despite it is still in the service mode.   Complete exit from the service mode is done when the camera is powered down.

for my G2:  3-9-13   shutter count 507,  turn on 133,  flash 8,  clock set  1

Sergio Rojkes Contributing Member • Posts: 512
Re: G2 camera info

jayboydog wrote:

For G2: To enter the TEMPORARY Service mode (there also exists PERMANENT service mode) do the following: 1. Make sure you have a memory card in the camera.

2. Set the Drive mode lever to Single position

3. On a TURNED OFF camera push DISPLAY and AF/AE LOCK buttons simultaneously. While holding these two buttons turn on the power. Now the camera should be in the temporary service mode. To make sure it is, enter the Setup menu (the one marked with "wrench" icon) and look at the very last page. In the service mode there will be a new item ROM BACKUP. This item is for saving the user settings to and restoring them from a memory card.

4. Push simultaneously LEFT ARROW and MENU/SET buttons. A menu can pop up or some settings show - don't pay attention to that now. While holding these two buttons push AF/AE LOCK. You can now release all three buttons. The screen will now show a table with the last 16 error codes and their dates. Table navigation is done with the arrow buttons. Error codes are explained in the Service Manual.

5. Repeat the actions from item 4 once more. Now you will see CAMERA INFO screen. There is the most interesting info: VER: full software revision number No.: motherboard's serial number PWRCNT: Number of power on cycles (including exits from the Sleep mode) SHTCNT: Number of shutter activations STBCNT: Number of flash activations

6. If you now push DISPLAY button you will see CAMERA INFO 2 screen. There are several more counters there: Total number of clock settings (ClockSet Cnt), and two more (UnderCut Cnt ? RTC Read Err).

7. By repeating actions from item 4 return the camera into the initial state. The camera can work as usual despite it is still in the service mode. Complete exit from the service mode is done when the camera is powered down.

for my G2: 3-9-13 shutter count 507, turn on 133, flash 8, clock set 1

Thank YOU.!

Sergio Rojkes's gear list:Sergio Rojkes's gear list
Sony RX100 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
Florida45 Regular Member • Posts: 200
Re: G2 shutter count caution

A couple years ago+ I bought a used G1 body on ebay.   When it arrived, it displayed an ugly yellow "error" screen at shutdown.   Some Googling discovered that it couldn't be corrected and was normally caused by a botched attempt to check shutter count (miss one step getting out of the process and thats what happens}.  I sent the G1 back for a refund no problem, but the same risk may apply to a G2.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads